What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I transplant pretty often from 12oz cups to 2gal or 5gal containers, and the thing I've found, is that if you wait and transplant when they're dry it goes a lot easier and you don't lose any roots. Be sure to dig a hole in the new medium and spread the roots out as best as you can. The quicker those roots can get down to the resevoir, the better.

Ty_Kaycha

I transplant pretty often from 12oz cups to 2gal or 5gal containers, and the thing I've found, is that if you wait and transplant when they're dry it goes a lot easier and you don't lose any roots. Be sure to dig a hole in the new medium and spread the roots out as best as you can. The quicker those roots can get down to the resevoir, the better.

Excellent advice!

Bonavendura

i visualize like this.
- 5 liter (1,3 gallon) containers for veg 4-5 weeks
- Let them dry
- fill the res of the 10 liter (almost 3 galon) bucket with perlite
- place the rootball on the top of the 2 inch "res"
- fill the gaps with perlite
- give a good run off watering
- give them 12/12

hope to work fine i will be back soon with setup photos and updates.
The plans is for 9 10 liter hempy's under each one 600w and 18 100% perlite hempys in flower
strain is going to be AK 47 or Shiva Skung or Top44 or all of them ;)

i will also run one side by side 20 liter(almost 5 gallon) dwc bucket.

Zendo

I've read a lot of posts with people talking about it being a pain transplanting hempys. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong?

I put rooted clones in rapid rooter plugs into 16oz 'beer cup' mini hempys. Once they've been in there for a 2 weeks, I transfer to 3 gal buckets for the remainder.

I simply wet the medium to avoid dust or crumbling apart, I squeeze around to loosen from the cup, turn upside down, and tap out...

stays in the shape of the 16oz cup, and i place into 3 gal bucket..

Had zero problems with this..:dunno:

guanito

should be easy enough from a cup to something bigger.
but there should really be only 1 transplant.
i do same as you.

++

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I asked this once a few pages ago & got no answer ..... is their a reason you guys are adding cal-mag to your nute mix ????? does the hempy buckets suffer a cal-mag deficiancy ??? or is it a preventive measure ? i'm still in veg in my hempys with no problems using HG floranova grow , LK & some h2o2 . will switch to FNB on flowering ... should i be adding cal-mag & please explain why .
thanx guys learning all i can .

Japanfreakier

Veteran
I asked this once a few pages ago & got no answer ..... is their a reason you guys are adding cal-mag to your nute mix ????? does the hempy buckets suffer a cal-mag deficiancy ??? or is it a preventive measure ? i'm still in veg in my hempys with no problems using HG floranova grow , LK & some h2o2 . will switch to FNB on flowering ... should i be adding cal-mag & please explain why .

I don't add cal-mag. For the most part people who use cal-mag are people who use RO water. Nutrients are made to work with tap water which has enough cal and mag in it to begin with so the nute makers account for the average so their products can be used with tap water. Once people remove those with osmosis they have to add it back in, the cal-mag cha-cha-cha.

Ty_Kaycha

I use two filters, 5 micron & 1 micron, to filter out the bad stuff but still a bit of good stuff. Sometimes I have to add a little epsom salt but depends on the strain.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok ... so as long as i'm using tap water i'm good ... no need for cal-mag , good deal . my tap is great ... no need to use RO / it comes out of the tap at 6.5 ph not sure of the ppm's yet ... still don't have an EC meter ... but its in the mail ...lol

thanks guys , i love this place ....so much knowledge here !!!! :)

Zendo

Like others said, usually it's the people using RO that use cal/mag.

I've had two strains that even when using RO, had not cal/mag def. using just Lucas FNB all grow, where some others will show issues very quickly in flower..

With tap water you'll be fine..I'd have some on standby just in case u get a hungry strain.

sideshow1

Where is everyone finding 3 gallon buckets?

I got my hands on a 1.5 gallon bucket but cant find anything between that and 5 gallons. I am obviously looking in the wrong location.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Most bakeries will give you the 3g empty frosting buckets...they work great and they're free. On the magi-cal/cal-mag issue....we used it along with GH 3 part + sugar daddy in the early goings, but have since switched to GH 3 part + Liquid Karma...and there seems to be no need (for us) to use those other products. We are on rock well water with a fairly decent amount of calcium in our water.

Ty_Kaycha

Most bakeries will give you the 3g empty frosting buckets...they work great and they're free.....

I get mine from the local doughnut place. Used to be free but lately lots of people have been asking for buckets, so now I give them $1/bucket w/lid. Still cheap as hell. Just noticed the other day, my local Dollar store has black 1 & 2 gal buckets now.

stonethecrow

hey guys its been a while so i thought id let ya know how things have turned out for me, only one surviver from the original seeds i popped and SHE is in her 3rd week of flower now. i also popped 6 more at a buddies whos been growin for a few yrs and had room for me to invade theres 2 big bushy females from those and 1 is slow but comin along and a 4th one that was shrivelling from the start and not doin well but seems to be comin out of it now, that one and one of the big ones are in dirt though and one big one and the slow one are in 3 gallon hempies they were all popped about 2 months ago and veggin under 6 flouros, not really sure of the wattage but its a shop light fixture with 4 foot bulbs. i plan to take cuttings from the 2 big ones this weekend and put em in flower. i was given a camera recently so ill try to get some pics on here i just gotta figure out how first :)

stonethecrow

sideshow i got my 3 gallon buckets at a dollar store called deals theyre black and have a rope handle on them which can be cut off i think they were 3 bux each cant remember cuz its been a couple months since i bought em

sideshow1

sideshow i got my 3 gallon buckets at a dollar store called deals theyre black and have a rope handle on them which can be cut off i think they were 3 bux each cant remember cuz its been a couple months since i bought em

This sounds exactly like the 1.5 gallon buckets I found. I will do some more searching for the 3 gallons. Thanks everybody.

R

Rysam

I gotta throw my .02 in....
Im on my first attempt with coco hempys and GH Maxibloom(1 tsp/gal). The coco im using is DownToEarth. after a week the difference is totally obvious. Im running 2 strains both in soil and both in hempy to gauge the difference and the hempys are 3x bigger than the soil. both are cuts from the same plants. strains are Blue Cheese and "HellsAngel" O.G. Im using 1 gal. buckets for now and I plan on transplanting into 3 gal kitty litter buckets soon.

Im a Hempy fan for good after seeing the explosive growth and health.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
@stoned-glad to hear things are looking up for you.
@rysam-do you think there will be any difference in flavor between the soil and the hempys?

Latest posts

Latest posts