What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
a6-I don't know if cooler temps will cause the plants to drink slower, but it seems it would. I may be wrong here, but maybe since your temps are decreasing then perhaps the amount in which you are feeding should decrease as well and see what happens.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, happydog, what kind of charcoal are you using and what do you believe it's effects are? i've been thinking about activated coco carbon but need to learn more.

tinman, wait till you see what flora nova bloom does to the buds!

hey, a6grow, plant uptake and evaporation are both directly related to temperature and relative humidity. you are too cold for sure. your plants won't croak at those temps but it will really slow down growth. if you are on concrete or some other really cold floor put something under your containers to get them up off the floor and insulate a little bit. jack your air temp up on the coldest days. i run 78-80 in warm weather,but in cold weather when the rh goes down i run the room at 82. it raises the amount of water the air can hold.

edit: the other problem is that, in hand watered containers of almost any type, it allows the perched water table to exist longer, reducing o2 availabilty to the roots.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
All this DWC happiness makes me long for my RDWC system that I have abandoned in favor of a stealth cabinet project.

K++ to the builders and growers in the thread. I have always been a Lucas formula kid and gotten great results with it but now things are a little different so the RDWC system is in shipping boxes until that day comes again.

Man, Hempy's are not treating me nice at all. Plants have started looking terrible and the run off ph was 6.5 and it went in at 5.8, what gives??? I flushed out the container real well and poured some fresh nutes on them to hopefully save them. The rockwool cube was still wet but the roots below the rockwool (about 4") were getting dryish, maybe that was the problem.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Hey fish I don't use rockwool so I'm not the expert on this...but it sounds like that rockwool is holding too much of the mositure and not allowing the nutrients to get down to the resevoir.

HempiPukets

Hey Fishinnutt,

I used a SMALL rockwool for germinating the seeds, and they've been into those 10l hempy's after the first pair of leaves. I can tell you that I probably made all possible mistakes with these Hempy's and there is no one else to blame but me. Nevertheless, once I got things sorted out my Hempy's are thriving and I have to rise the lamps every day - I hope that growth stops soon as I am 4 weeks into flowering. This really is simple stuff - just read, understand and follow the instructions.

That pH6.5 doesn't sound too bad to me as I had pH 8 for the couple of first weeks. Don't give them too much nutes if they are young.

Thanks for these Hempy's Dalai (and who ever is the original inventor).

H

HappyDog

hey, happydog, what kind of charcoal are you using and what do you believe it's effects are?

I use it as a stabilizer to keep the 'dirt' from getting too acidic. I find it at lowes in the spring and buy it up while it's there.

Thanks for the tip guys, I checked the rockwool and it was soaked as could be. I aborted this run at trying the hempy so I can begin with a proper start (small rockwool plug or rapid rooter this time)

H

HappyDog

What size rw did you use? I use the 2" cubes, and plant them in perlite, works fine...

I root right into 3.5" cubes so there is no transplanting after they root up. Veg for two weeks and into a pot. water by hand and flow direct to waste.

HempiPukets

More OT:

However when I ordered with free shipping subtract that $110.64, and thats what I paid. $52.38
Hope this makes sence.

I was considering starting a "deal" thread, especially free shipping on large items

Free shipping?

You paid 52.38$. Without paying that price you would not get that "free shipping" would you? So how was the shipping free if you had to pay for it?

IMO your total costs are 52.38$ and this price includes the stuff you ordered AND shipping AND probably some profit/loss for the company (depending their profit margin and how much profit they have made with your orders in the past).

bostrom155

HempyPukets, I cant make it any clearer than i already did. IF you went to worms way website, you will see i paid what the products cost now, minus shipping. I paid 52 bucks for two 4CF bags of perlite and 40L of sunleaves coco. Around here a 4CF bag of perlite is about 20 bucks with tax.

You paid 52.38$. Without paying that price you would not get that "free shipping" would you? bullshit, look at the website, check the price

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.aspx?t=prod&sku=PER944&AC=1

Let me know if you still cant see the difference. I know their are scams out their, and no shit they make a profit. Large Items cost alot to ship so when i see deals like this i jump, plus thats one less stop at the local nursery for the perlite.

8CF of perlite and 40l of coco sitting at my door step for 50bucks.......i'll do that all day long

As you boys know shipping is by weight, not size (unless XL packages), so perlite especially is really quite light, thus the cheap shipping. I have never dealt with coco but I imagine the same applies for that.

Thanks for the link bostrom, looks great.

Peace, sg

bostrom155

Hey SG, i guess perlite is XL i dont know but here is a cut and paste of what one bag of perlite shipped to me would be right now:

Your Cart

Verify the items in your cart and their quantities. To make changes, go to your cart.
Qty Price

Perlite
1 x $19.50

Please note:
Shipping charges quoted on the web are for FedEx ground shipping to the 48 contiguous states.
Call (800) 274-9676 or e-mail [email protected] for shipping charges to Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin islands. Click here to view our ordering and shipping policies.

Subtotal: $19.50
Discount: -$0.00
Non-Taxable Amount: $0.00
Sales Tax: $1.37
Shipping: $33.02
Total: $53.89

Ive checked a few of the other major shops and shipping was about the same, if anyone has a link to place to ship perlite cheap. let me know. believe it or neither Lowes or HD stocked the brown 4CF bags of perlite in my area

Im just trying to help peeps save cash, sometimes its legit and sometimes not, as long as you know your product its easy to see which option is correct...Bottom line for me is how much perlite im going through trying to fill a shitload of 5 gallon bucket. I have a mom n pop nursery somewhat close, and ive probably reached my limit for awhile their if you know what i mean. Plus someone else in the area is apprently doing the same, i asked her one time if she had any, she said someone bought the last two bags yesterday. i havent been in their for a month so, its bout time to visit for more perlite:thanks: Holy shit this weed makes me ramble..well back to work, im installing a window unit aka hoosierdaddy, im putting it on a tall dresser, ducting straight out the ceiling

Have a great day

i know what you mean, i hate rolling into local hardware stores/garden centers and buying out all their perlite ... other than hydro applications there is no use for THAT much perlite, especially in winter time. I live in a city so I can't be like "oh hey, I'm just adding this to my 1000 gallon nursery bed I have at my condo ...". At least it's not illegal, just suspicious.

From what I can find online, 4 CF of perlite is "20 lbs", so I guess that shipping is pretty much in line. I didn't think it really weighed that much, I guess because it's always so easy to carry a ton of it at once.

Goodluck with your work today ... I am in the same boat, I'm installing an automated drip watering system for my buckets today so that I can leave them for the holidays. Last time I left them for 5 days they didn't fare so well.

Peace, sg

H

HappyDog

I am in the same boat, I'm installing an automated drip watering system for my buckets today so that I can leave them for the holidays. Last time I left them for 5 days they didn't fare so well.

Peace, sg

That is the worst part about growing...What to do when you go on vacation...Hate for someone else to be in charge of security, feeding and keeping things as you would have have it. Some times I'll just bloom-out everything and take a few cuts to a friend. Feels better knowing things are quiet at home.

HempiPukets

HempyPukets, I cant make it any clearer than i already did. IF you went to worms way website, you will see i paid what the products cost now, minus shipping.

I understand perfectly and you even see it from the invoice "Shipping 0$". It's good marketing. I am still saying that it's not free if you have to pay for it directly or inderectly.

To illustrate what I mean let's consider these two example invoices in which a customer orders a bag of perlite and shipping.

INVOICE CASE 1:
Perlite: 10$
Shipping: 0$
TOTAL COST: 10$

INVOICE CASE 2
Perlite: 0$
Shipping:10$
TOTAL COST: 10$

So in either case the customer pays in total 10$ for the bag of perlite AND shipping, but are you telling me that in INVOICE CASE 1 the perlite costs 10$ and the shipping is free, but in INVOICE CASE 2 the Perlite is free and the shipping is 10$? I would say that in both of the cases the customer pays for BOTH the perlite AND shipping as there is not one without the other.

Whatever you buy from them - shipping is INCLUDED in the price if you pay even a dime in total and therefore it's not free even if they print in the invoice "Shipping 0$".

I will believe you that the shipping is free if you call wormsway and tell them that your friend will deliver some stuff to wormsway that you want them to ship to you for free. If they agree to this - then the shipping is free. Tell them that you want a grand piano shipped for free? If they won't do it, tell them that you will buy a bag of perlite and you want the grand piano delivered together with the free shipping of the bag of perlite.

HempiPukets,

I think we can all agree that NOTHING in the world is shipped for free, even UPS itself has costs for shipping. When something is shipped, someone pays for it.

At this point you are arguing about a simple marketing ploy. Retailers draw in consumers with the promise of free shipping and/or low prices. The result of free shipping is either a rise in the cost of the product (retail price) or a decline for the retailers profit (eating the cost of shipping). I think you understand this clearly.

I don't think bostrom155 is arguing with you on that. He is just trying to point out a good deal ... so let's all just play nice, aye boys?

Latest posts

Latest posts