What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

SmokeyDawson

Hey everyone,are any of you guys using bio stimulants in late flower?
I've just added some guano and fish hydrolysate to my feeding schedule,for the last few weeks.
Has anyone had any good or bad experience with bio stimulants in late flower in hempy's?
Cheers...

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_111951.jpg
    IMG_20230630_111951.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20230630_111808.jpg
    IMG_20230630_111808.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 168

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Plants look amazing! Quick question about the hempy buckets and prolonged watering. I'm going on a trip and have mine in smaller buckets that require watering every other day. Would putting them in a tote with water be acceptable? Not trying to move the drain holes, just add enough water to get them thru 9 days without water. I have a couple other plants in 3 gallon containers that I'm currently watering every 3rd day, those might survive. Help!! Thanks gromies :)
If you have to leave your hemp buckets unattended for a few days, here are a couple things you can do that I HAVE done that will work.

1. Buy some of those watering globes, the ones As Seen On TV, hand-blown glass. Fill them with your water/nutes, and stick a couple in each bucket.

2. This is what I do now, and all it costs is an old t-shirt. Make sure you use a 100% Cotton t shirt.
Cut it into strips between 1 and 2 inches wide and long enough to reach from the bottom of a gallon jug to the tops of your buckets.
Set a gallon bucket of your water/nutes ABOVE the ground level of your buckets.
Soak the strips in water nutes, and run from the BOTTOM of your gallon of nutes, out the jug, and using your finger, push the other end into your hempy mix, so it will stay.
Transpiration should keep water going to your plants for as long as your water/nutes hold out, usually a week.

Rehearse it first if you don't believe me (and why should you?), and just to work out any bugs.
Hope this helps.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I need a recommendation for Vermiculite. The stuff I get here locall is like dust almost. I want the bigger chunky stuff, but I can't find it locally. Buying it online is an option, but usually the bulk of the package makes shipping cost a factor.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other people are using in the way of Vermiculite, and any info on how to get The Good Stuff! Thanks!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Here it's measured in mm, and 4-16 is the chunky one. But I am in europe. 1-4 is the one like dust, for mixing in construction applications.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
:bump:

Trying something new this new year.

IMG_1675.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

Also have some plants vegging in soil that are just starting to show sex. I’ll be taking cuts from two or three of those girls to do a comparison run. Hempy Bucket vs. Fox Farm soil recipe I’ve been using since circa 2005 vs. Great Lakes Water Only soil.

Happy New Year everyone!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
That looks a lot like the way I do it. It might take more than one run to get it dialed in as well as the one you've used all those years. But still, it will be a valuable experiment. Hempys are sooo simple. One thing I do is really trim the roots when I'm up-potting. My plants always seem to get a real boost from it. Good luck!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
That looks a lot like the way I do it. It might take more than one run to get it dialed in as well as the one you've used all those years. But still, it will be a valuable experiment. Hempys are sooo simple. One thing I do is really trim the roots when I'm up-potting. My plants always seem to get a real boost from it. Good luck!
Thanks - sure to need some luck. Guessing more so with this run, not only because it’s the first run, but also because they’re from seed. I hadn’t planned to do these in Hempy Buckets, which is why they’re in seed starter mix/peat cups, and was going to start with cuts from the vegging plants. Seems this method is better suited for cuts. (?)

Told myself I have plenty of time to read this thread and others online to be prepared. Only got a few pages in here and a thread on another site when I saw Hempy being, well, Hempy, lol, and berating folks for asking questions and trying to modify the method. Admittedly I have questions too but think I grasp the basic simplicity of it and figured I would just jump in and learn as I go by sharing here to get help and constructive criticism.

Could you please explain your up-potting and root trimming method? The up-potting is what I am concerned about. I didn’t want to start seedlings in the final bucket, worried about the ability to establish a root system, whereas with well rooted cuts it doesn’t seem that’s a problem.

Chuckeye

FYI > I keep it dead simple !

First I start my femmed seeds in a yogurt container with ProMix HP and a half dozen holes in the bottom for drainage.

For this Wedding Cheesecake Auto I used General Hydroponics MaxiSeries and I start feeding right away with 1g/gallon.

Once the leaves have reached the outside of the cup And I can see roots coming out the bottom drain holes I transplant into the perlite. Usually takes 16 - 21 days with a 600w MH/HPS in a 42" parabolic reflector.

When I fill my pail with perlite, I use an empty yogurt container to create a hole for the transplant.

The perlite doesn't hold together that well but if you are careful removing the plug you can just gently place the seedling in the hole. I gently rotate the empty container and slowly raise it up...

I use a 5 gallon pail with a 3" plug in the bottom. Wanted to reduce the amount of perlite to match another three plants using GroBuckets and ProMix HP.

My drain hole is 3" about the bottom and the yogurt containers are 5" tall. That leaves me 2" from the bottom of the yogurt container and the top of the reservoir.

Does not take long for the seedlings roots to reach the reservoir !

At transplant I fill the reservoir watering from the top. I use a wood skewer to judge the amount of water left in the reservoir and try not to let it get less than half full.

And that's it. Feed with every watering roughly following GH MaxiSeries feed chart.

This "Auto" went 124 days !

Seedling @day 18.

Day 18 WC 8 Aug 2023.jpg

Transplanted @day 24, she was a slow starter.

Day 30 WC 20 Aug 2023.jpg

Finished plant wet trimmed shy of 5' even after supercropping..

Day 124 WC one 22 Nov 2023.jpg

13.86oz. @ 58%.

Day 124 WC hanging 22 Nov 2023.jpg

Root ball. Not sure if the "color" is from the yellow styro plug or the dye from the MaxiBloom ?

Wedding Cheesecake root ball.jpg

Cheers

splinter7

FYI > I keep it dead simple !

First I start my femmed seeds in a yogurt container with ProMix HP and a half dozen holes in the bottom for drainage.

For this Wedding Cheesecake Auto I used General Hydroponics MaxiSeries and I start feeding right away with 1g/gallon.

Once the leaves have reached the outside of the cup And I can see roots coming out the bottom drain holes I transplant into the perlite. Usually takes 16 - 21 days with a 600w MH/HPS in a 42" parabolic reflector.

When I fill my pail with perlite, I use an empty yogurt container to create a hole for the transplant.

The perlite doesn't hold together that well but if you are careful removing the plug you can just gently place the seedling in the hole. I gently rotate the empty container and slowly raise it up...

I use a 5 gallon pail with a 3" plug in the bottom. Wanted to reduce the amount of perlite to match another three plants using GroBuckets and ProMix HP.

My drain hole is 3" about the bottom and the yogurt containers are 5" tall. That leaves me 2" from the bottom of the yogurt container and the top of the reservoir.

Does not take long for the seedlings roots to reach the reservoir !

At transplant I fill the reservoir watering from the top. I use a wood skewer to judge the amount of water left in the reservoir and try not to let it get less than half full.

And that's it. Feed with every watering roughly following GH MaxiSeries feed chart.

This "Auto" went 124 days !

Seedling @day 18.

View attachment 18941646

Transplanted @day 24, she was a slow starter.

View attachment 18941647

Finished plant wet trimmed shy of 5' even after supercropping..

View attachment 18941651

13.86oz. @ 58%.

View attachment 18941649

Root ball. Not sure if the "color" is from the yellow styro plug or the dye from the MaxiBloom ?

View attachment 18941652

Cheers
the dye

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
:bump:

Trying something new this new year.

View attachment 18940412

View attachment 18940413

Also have some plants vegging in soil that are just starting to show sex. I’ll be taking cuts from two or three of those girls to do a comparison run. Hempy Bucket vs. Fox Farm soil recipe I’ve been using since circa 2005 vs. Great Lakes Water Only soil.

Happy New Year everyone!
What medium do you use in your hempy cups?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Hempy bucket thread revival!
Two Ethos 10th Planet
Two Useful Seeds Bag of Oranges
Two Useful Seeds Bag of Skunks and Oranges.
Ive got them under a HLG 600 RSpec LED .
Temps are a bit low so growth is slowed but they are pulling through.
They took a couple days to recover from transplant into the final buckets, probably because of the low temps.
Here they are at 20 days from seed.

View attachment 18804575
What medium do you use in your bucket?

Miguel83

Hola, voy a empezar a cultivar con este sistema y me preguntaba si seguiría teniendo problemas con los mosquitos de los hongos, o se me quitará el problema con vermiculita y perlita. Gracias de antemano.

Latest posts

Latest posts