What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Have you used canna nutes in anything other than coco? I'm looking at alternatives to PBP as I am nearly out... It will be for hydroton.

I have used Canna with Perlite/ vermic mix and Perlite only and also with hydroton (clay aggregate).

I really like Canna Aqua there was one more nutrient i liked that came in powder but cant remember that brand now.

As long as its a good quality nutrient you should not have any problems.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
hush: This is my first grow, using regular hempys: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=253362

Let me tell you, GO COCO! Perlite and vermiculite makes a mess! All the damn time...!

I've been told you can use regular nutes as well, might have to get some calmag for them though.
Perlite and vermiculite do NOT make that big of a mess, so don't dismiss the medium on that basis. I have no experience with coco, but I have over ten years of using the original hempy bucket medium, explained on PAGE ONE of this thread. I'm not knocking coco, but believe me, Perlite and vermiculite is a cheap and easy way to go. JMO Good luck!

p.s.- Yes I know I'm replying to a nine year old post, but I wanted to bump this thread anyway, and I also have to defend perlite/vermiculite, lol.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Hempy bucket thread revival!
Two Ethos 10th Planet
Two Useful Seeds Bag of Oranges
Two Useful Seeds Bag of Skunks and Oranges.
Ive got them under a HLG 600 RSpec LED .
Temps are a bit low so growth is slowed but they are pulling through.
They took a couple days to recover from transplant into the final buckets, probably because of the low temps.
Here they are at 20 days from seed.

IMG_4699.jpg

Lovely mate. What buckets are you using there? What nutes? How often do you Feed with what ECs and PHs?
I m currently growing 6 ladies in 80/20 Coco/seramis. Working with GHE trio, root stim (micronutes) once a week, + calmag, sometimes adding some fulvic acid.
Always had lots of ph problems for 3/4 of the grow period while flowering seemed a Lot easier for me in hempy buckets.
I buffered the Coco btw. Didnt wash it though, no idea why it happened.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
I use 3 1/2 gallon office trash cans.
Currently using 1- 1 1/2 tsp Floranova bloom per gallon throughout the grow with a dash of Floraliscious and a few drops of cal mag per gallon of water.. Will be switching to Pure Blend Pro as soon as it gets here.
I simply mix my nutes , pH down to 5.8-5.9 then apply . Right now I only need to water them every two days but as they get larger I will be feeding every day although I can usually squeak two days out of them if I have to.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Dont get me wrong I measure the Floranova. I just up the amount as the plants mature .
My water is fairly soft but it does have some magnesium and calcium in it so a few drops of CalMag is all they need.
The Floraliscious is strong so just a bit is all that is needed. I never noticed marked results from using more.
I stick to the traditional perlite/vermiculite mix mainly because its inexpensive, clean, and easy to dispose of. Last few batches of used medium went into the outdoor veggie garden. I find trying to reuse it is a PITA so I mix new for every grow.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I find trying to reuse it is a PITA so I mix new for every grow.
Try letting the perlite/vermiculite mix dry in the buckets completely before trying to re-use it. It's easier to work with when it's dry. Falls right out of the bucket, and you can shake a bunch out of the root mass.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Yeah. I always do my mixing and measuring outside while wearing a mask. I measure into a clean trash can then apply pH'ed water then mix. I sift the powder out of the perlite so I need it dry before measuring it.

After growing in coco hempys twice now, im going to go back to perlite. Its much easier to handle the pots weight, it needs less watering, it doesnt need buffering in the beginning and its not as much dirt flying around. I dont see any advantage with coco..No.idea why that dalai guy converted.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
That's good to hear, realityisntwhatitusedtobe. I've been using the original hempy medium, perlite/vermiculite for many years. A few years, this thread was buzzing with chatter about coco coir. I almost took the bait, but I continued with P/V. Then this thread started filling up with questions about coco, buffering it for pH, etc.
Me and my plants love the P/V mix, so thanks for the vote of confidence!

I like how validating you are mr jellyfish. What were their reasons to want to bait you to coco? I understand it keeps water longer? What i dont understand is why would you need to water it more often If it holds water better.
Im using seramis or pebbles or rockwool bits instead of vermiculite. It was a bit hard to get and quite expensive.
Im also trying to simplify Things even further. Right now im still using 6 different bottles for nutes. Im thinking one should suffice and watering and cleaning up should be automated. Dont know how yet. Saw selfsucking buckets on that howtogrow Coco page, but i wasnt very convinced..
Whats your Setup and nutes?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I like how validating you are mr jellyfish. What were their reasons to want to bait you to coco? I understand it keeps water longer? What i dont understand is why would you need to water it more often If it holds water better.
Im using seramis or pebbles or rockwool bits instead of vermiculite. It was a bit hard to get and quite expensive.
Im also trying to simplify Things even further. Right now im still using 6 different bottles for nutes. Im thinking one should suffice and watering and cleaning up should be automated. Dont know how yet. Saw selfsucking buckets on that howtogrow Coco page, but i wasnt very convinced..
Whats your Setup and nutes?
My set-up is buckets with holes in them, lol. Seriously though, I use about 1.5 gallon plastic buckets. For nutes, I keep it simple. I use Rez Dog's The Recipe- here's a link- https://www.icmag.com/threads/the-recipe.77264/

Why did you replace the vermiculite? Vermiculite is super cheap, easy to obtain, and works great.

Last edited:
Thats Lucas formula right? With some PK13/14 (koolbloom)? I.will.try on my next run, but i feel it would be a waste to not also use the grow from.GHE, because its already here. But after i will try GHE maxibloom or floranova bloom as a 1 Part fertilizer. Maybe add some fulvic, silica and calmag.
Vermiculite is hard to obtain here. Its about 12 USD for 1 lb. Perlite is ten times cheaper. Seramis is pretty cheap on the other hand.

goingrey

Thats Lucas formula right? With some PK13/14 (koolbloom)? I.will.try on my next run, but i feel it would be a waste to not also use the grow from.GHE, because its already here. But after i will try GHE maxibloom or floranova bloom as a 1 Part fertilizer. Maybe add some fulvic, silica and calmag.
Vermiculite is hard to obtain here. Its about 12 USD for 1 lb. Perlite is ten times cheaper. Seramis is pretty cheap on the other hand.
Seramis is really good, I'm running it side by side with coco and the plants seem happier in the Seramis. Same tent, same light, same feed... Wouldn't call it cheap though, but yes cheaper than vermiculite.

goingrey

What nutes and EC are you running? How often do you water your Coco hempy?
I'm using self-watering pots with a water rez on the bottom, so not real hempy buckets with the hole on the side. I water when the rez is dry, varies, can be once a day, can be once a week. Using AN Sensi Coco (just the base grow/bloom) in soft tap water at half to full of the recommended strength, depending on the genetics. Haven't been measuring EC, will do that the next time I water.

Latest posts

Latest posts