What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

someotherguy

Veteran
Dude it's over 200 pages... I know the threads are why were are here but lets face it. Reading these larger threads is like watching a baseball game... The game is 3 hrs long but there is only 10 min of actual action....

most of us that you see posting in this thread actually took the time to read what was already written before asking questions.

...if you read it you'll learn things you don't know to ask, ...and you'll earn a little respect.

Kuroth

most of us that you see posting in this thread actually took the time to read what was already written before asking questions.

...if you read it you'll learn things you don't know to ask, ...and you'll earn a little respect.

Well I am learning.. And Learned today that not only can I search the forums, I can search a specific thread, which I did with this one..It helped some but I have still not seen anyone talking about specifically Hempy buckets with the Perlite Vermiculite 3 to 1 mix being used with Blumats. I see several post on Hempy buckets with the Coco mix and blumats(Several by you).. But if you say it is there, I will keep reading and not ask anymore questions...

someotherguy

Veteran
Well I am learning.. And Learned today that not only can I search the forums, I can search a specific thread, which I did with this one..It helped some but I have still not seen anyone talking about specifically Hempy buckets with the Perlite Vermiculite 3 to 1 mix being used with Blumats. I see several post on Hempy buckets with the Coco mix and blumats(Several by you).. But if you say it is there, I will keep reading and not ask anymore questions...

yeah man, i'm sorry if i've discouraged you as that was very definately NOT my intent, ...nor do i want to discourage you from asking questions, ...but you have to understand how often these sorts of quesions get asked and how annoying it can be because those of us who have been here a while have answered these kinds of questions MANY times.

...you also need to understand that sometimes the answers you seek are only found if you can read between the lines, or rather, when you've read enough threads you begin to make connections in your own mind.

...for example, there have been MANY people who have suggested the superiority of coco as a medium over the perlite/vermiculite mix, ...now i ASSUME the Blumat's would work as well with either medium but i have, as yet, no personal experience with either so i can't say definitively.

...i've also never grown in the perlite/vermiculite mix precisely because i'd read enough to see that most, including hempy himself, prefer the coco and while i don't yet know how well the Blumat's will work for me from experience in my coco hempy-buckets, i BELIEVE they will work because so many have shared thier experiences.

...so i guess my question to you is, 'why are you still using the perlite/vermiculite mix?'

anyway, here is a link to hempy's updated coco thread and if you read even the first few postings you'll see it is much the same as it was, just a litte better.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=147954"]Coco Hempy style.[/URL]

...good luck man and again i'm sorry if i discouraged you in any way, ...and don't stop asking questions, just try and understand that HUNTING for your answers is way more fruitful than waiting for them.

peace, SOG

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
just for the sake of conversation....
I've not switched over from the original 3:1 to coco because I can get perlite so darn cheap and it is so easy for me to get it.....is the hassle & cost really worth the overall gain (yield) using coco instead of the 3:1 ratio? I understand that there are variables (enviro, genetic, etc) but is there an overall understanding that the coco just out-performs the original method?
The only time I used coco was with coco mats on a flood & drain table and I got little worms after the first few weeks and it freaked me out so I scrapped the whole deal. Any thoughts?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've not switched over from the original 3:1 to coco because I can get perlite so darn cheap and it is so easy for me to get it.....is the hassle & cost really worth the overall gain (yield) using coco instead of the 3:1 ratio? I did try a couple of side by sides using perlite as the base and tried perlite/hydroton, perlite/vermiculite/hydroton, and straight perlite...and so far I see very little difference in growth using any of these mixes....with all other factors being the same...
I understand that there are variables (enviro, genetic, etc) but is there an overall understanding that the coco just out-performs the original method?
The only time I used coco was with coco mats on a flood & drain table and I got little worms after the first few weeks and it freaked me out so I scrapped the whole deal. Any thoughts?
:blowbubbles:

I grow 5 gallon hempies in a 5x5 tents under a 1k. With lucas formula and a 2 month veg I pull 4 plants out of the tent each weighing 10 ounces give or take. my plants usually finish at a height of 4.5-5ft. I suspect If I used a bigger space with the same amount of plants I could up the yield to 12 ounces per plant, It gets a little crowded in there.

I generally grow C-99, Trainwreck, powerkush.

got a pic? I'd love to see those 10ounce c99 & trainwreck plants...

BlueBalls

I've not switched over from the original 3:1 to coco because I can get perlite so darn cheap and it is so easy for me to get it.....is the hassle & cost really worth the overall gain (yield) using coco instead of the 3:1 ratio? I did try a couple of side by sides using perlite as the base and tried perlite/hydroton, perlite/vermiculite/hydroton, and straight perlite...and so far I see very little difference in growth using any of these mixes....with all other factors being the same...
I understand that there are variables (enviro, genetic, etc) but is there an overall understanding that the coco just out-performs the original method?

I would like to know too.
I have not dared to bring coco inside. I hear too many complaints of pests.
I have no pests with perlite/vermiculite and see no reason to change yet.

Dude, don't let no troll stop you from asking questions!

Good question. We're gonna be harvesting our first coco run in about 2 or 3 weeks so I'll have some idea of yield/taste etc. So far we're liking the appearance. Big fat crystally buds at just over 6 weeks 12/12.

I like the coco because it holds water nicely until the roots suck the coco dry. This ain't so obvious with perl/verm

Kuroth

yeah man, i'm sorry if i've discouraged you as that was very definately NOT my intent, ...nor do i want to discourage you from asking questions, ...but you have to understand how often these sorts of quesions get asked and how annoying it can be because those of us who have been here a while have answered these kinds of questions MANY times.

...you also need to understand that sometimes the answers you seek are only found if you can read between the lines, or rather, when you've read enough threads you begin to make connections in your own mind.

...for example, there have been MANY people who have suggested the superiority of coco as a medium over the perlite/vermiculite mix, ...now i ASSUME the Blumat's would work as well with either medium but i have, as yet, no personal experience with either so i can't say definitively.

...i've also never grown in the perlite/vermiculite mix precisely because i'd read enough to see that most, including hempy himself, prefer the coco and while i don't yet know how well the Blumat's will work for me from experience in my coco hempy-buckets, i BELIEVE they will work because so many have shared thier experiences.

...so i guess my question to you is, 'why are you still using the perlite/vermiculite mix?'

anyway, here is a link to hempy's updated coco thread and if you read even the first few postings you'll see it is much the same as it was, just a litte better.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=147954"]Coco Hempy style.[/URL]

...good luck man and again i'm sorry if i discouraged you in any way, ...and don't stop asking questions, just try and understand that HUNTING for your answers is way more fruitful than waiting for them.

peace, SOG

Hi... No I did not take what you said to me wrong... Actually I took it as constructive criticism... Its all good...

And no I have not used Hempy buckets or any of this.. Was just researching it..

Thanks for the Links.. I will read it...

Take care...

Kuroth

"...for example, there have been MANY people who have suggested the superiority of coco as a medium over the perlite/vermiculite mix, ...now i ASSUME the Blumat's would work as well with either medium but i have, as yet, no personal experience with either so i can't say definitively."

Thanks for the Link.. I read it all (Since it was only 25 pages) Anyway I did not really see where Most were saying "the superiority of coco as a medium over the perlite/vermiculite mix" and even Hempy himself said in this post that there was not much difference noticed...

hey guys, been a while...unfortunately didnt really document this grow, so i only have some shitty phone pictures, but here is my 3 gallon snow white hempy. Ended up pulling just under 6 ozs (the pic is after just under an oz had already been donated/sampled) Can't wait to have a room full of Hempys

Attachments

• P1011493.jpg
    P1011493.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0613.jpg
    IMAG0613.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0617.jpg
    IMAG0617.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0616.jpg
    IMAG0616.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0620.jpg
    IMAG0620.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 6
hey guys, been a while...unfortunately didnt really document this grow, so i only have some shitty phone pictures, but here is my 3 gallon snow white hempy. Ended up pulling just under 6 ozs (the pic is after just under an oz had already been donated/sampled) Can't wait to have a room full of Hempys

Nice man. What light did you use on this girl?

Seedlin

Here are my girls, bag seed, treated like shit, burnt a couple of times, but stilll managing at 36 days 12/12. They are hempy's, perlite/vermiculite, Lucus formula with Maxibloom...1st indoor grow. Have some Kodiak Gold beans waitin to pop after I finish this run. Grow room is 4x8x7 and 1000watt lite.