What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
wow! that all makes sense. I've been washing out as much of the vermiculite out of my medium because I don't care for the drainage issues either. I am pretty happy with the 100% perlite containers.....have you tried using that or would the feeding regiment not suit your needs?

Heres one of my beer cup 100% perlite hempies, first time grower so ill advice/comments encouraged!!!! Thank you in advance

Attachments

• P1010690.jpg
    P1010690.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 6

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
how far into flower are you? They have a nice green color and that's some pretty snow falling on the yard.

im at about 35 days from seed on 12/12, i would say pistils threw about 10 days in, so around 25 days "flower", and im diggin the fresh snow every morning :)

thanks a lot man, really looking forward to these next few weeks. I do however have an issue to deal with. What do you think about this discoloration?

Attachments

• P1010680.jpg
    P1010680.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 11

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
what's your feeding schedule? I'd maybe back off a bit for a minute and then either reduce the amount your feeding or the frequency. I think there is a perfect time with the uptake and and I believe it is plant specific. I don't think that they vary a whole lot, but I feel like they do vary some.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i would flush it with plain water like 3x 12 oz cups filled with plain water to run off and then let it have just the water till the next feeding. looks like a serious salt build up and your ph is off.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
why not just use coco on top and perlite in the res. it's the only part really that "needs" to have perlite in it. the rest can be whatever you want including coco.

sigh.... i DONT WANT TO DO ALOT OF COCO... just alittle was thinking of something to change out vermiculite with.....

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
in the hempy system vermiculite is added to the perlite to help keep it wet, but it forms into like a mush i really dont like... so i was thinking of alternatives... coco i thought would keep the perlite alittle wetter without giving me the strait coco problems this is where my thoughts are....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
in the hempy system vermiculite is added to the perlite to help keep it wet, but it forms into like a mush i really dont like...

There are different grades of vermiculite, try a bigger one. Nobody elses' vermiculite is turning to mush. ;)

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
makes sense to me. I didn't know there were various grades of vermiculite. I've found that my vermiculite can get kinda muddy in the bottom of the container and I don't care for that....mostly in the clean up phase. Thanks for the reply PTB.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you gotta wet coco and peat and certain materials slowly the first time. need to break the surface tension for the water to be absorbed. water it slowly with minutes apart between adding water. when it feels heavy you are done.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
:angrymod: Alright, that's it. Behave or, I'll... I'll... I'll set my hair on fire and... and... BASH my head into a pile of bricks!

.........only you can save a mod :hide:

Last edited:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Man! There are way to many there!

"Happy birthday to meee!..."

"Habanero, shmabanero...I can take it!""

"The economy is so bad, Ghost Rider is reduced to performing in the streets for rent money!"

"I've heared of smokin' fire, but dayam!!"

"Maybe this will take my mind off my hemorrhoids!"

"Shit fire!"

"Stoopid! Stoopid! Stoopid! Why did I become a Moderator!"

Let's be clear. As long as posts are polite, on topic and inside the rules, members are free, in fact encouraged, to post any theory they desire no matter how "non-traditional". Debate dragged us out of the cave.

Sure you'll take a cheap shot or two (welcome to the internet) But most folks that respond do so because they remember being you and wishing they had a place like IC.

Right then. I have taken the time and trouble to provide the following. I wish to freely post some information which I believe may help new growers. The first is Hempy's quote about perlite's wicking properties, written in blue...

The wicking properties of perlite – Hempy’s unedited quote

I mix as directed by the instructions and end up with 6.2 pH which is in the recommended pH range my waters a 7ph and the 6.2 pH is what i end up with and i am happy with.

Perlite does not wick coco does perlite floats so how does it have any wicking property's ?.

The plant uses whats in the internal rez first and then sucks what is left in the top layers of medium that is trapped in the layers of medium.

Coco absorbs nutrient rich water and once the rez is used up the plant will suck the coco dry to.

That is why i tell people to add perlite or clay rocks or coco chips or even gravel in the rez when using coco core as it stays to wet/slushy as it wont drain down as the medium needs to and it remains wet like mud.

Here is some further info from Hempy which new growers may also find useful...

Other useful info from Hempy himself...

I have grown indicas and indica heavy lines and they grow out real nice and healthy the reason why some people get terrible results is they dont follow the basic formula i have given people i my self use.

I dont know why but so many people just need to feel important and have this need to prove i am wrong or prove there spin on this is better fine but dont blame me if there results suck.

I put years into experimenting fine tuning this and yes its a simple method but its affective i still use it because it gives results its not because i am a lazy grower.

I have also taken the time and trouble to provide information about passive hydro nutes. Here's a quote from Canna's website (UK version. Red bits edited to benefit the new growers)...

CANNA Hydro is the nutrient for systems in which the drainage water is not returned to the nutrient tank but drains away (Run-to-Waste / Open Hydroponic systems)...Passive Hydro basically

CANNA Hydro has a balanced quantity of all nutritional elements needed by plants. As the substrates used in run-to-waste systems are mostly inert (They don’t add or take nutrient elements from the nutrient solution) all the nutrients have to be in the nutrient solution. An excess of nutritional elements can lead to plant damage but they will also end up in the environment. To prevent this from happening the nutrient should be specifically designed for such a system and preferably for your type of tap water. That’s why CANNA developed a Hard and Soft water version of the Hydro nutrient line. This ensures the exact amount of nutrients will be delivered to the plants root system and as little as possible nutrients will end up in the drain water; healthy for the consumer and great for the environment.

In the beginning of the growth phase, the plant lays the foundation for its eventual yield. Characteristics of a healthy and powerful growth are vital side shoots and a luxuriant root development.

Hydro Vega is developed especially to fulfil the plant’s needs optimally during this phase, and can be applied to all types of inert mediums.

picture.php

Canna Hydro Vega is for the cloning/veg stage. Canna Hydro Flores is for the flowering stage.

Spreading helpful knowledge is my only intention.

Peace all.

what's your feeding schedule? I'd maybe back off a bit for a minute and then either reduce the amount your feeding or the frequency. I think there is a perfect time with the uptake and and I believe it is plant specific. I don't think that they vary a whole lot, but I feel like they do vary some.

sorry for being slow, read your post stoned, went and flushed, and forgot to reply. I feed the beer cups pretty much every other day and the larger containers, (the one with the issue) every 2-3 days. I was feeding at 2 tsp FloraNova Bloom to the gallon, but backed it down to about 1.5 as tips were yellowing. Since my last updat the new growth on that plant is looking very healthy, and im thinking about taking some of those fans leaves out. Thanks for the response in the first place!!

Latest posts

Latest posts