The Official 1 sqft Challenge

earthwyrms

MOTHERSHIP, lol

MOTHERSHIP, lol

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Gnz

Alright I'll join in, my current set up was partially inspired by this thread and is still being dialed in.

Flower (x2 identical cabs)
70w CMH rx7s 3000k 6800lm
1-2x23w CFL 2700k 960lm (depending on strain)
30x40x100cm (1.33 sq ft)

Veg/seedling
6x23w CFL 6500k (may replace with 1x 70w mh)
80x40x80cm

Running bag seed at the moment and sorting some teething issues, will get a thread started and some pictures on here for the next round!

psyphish

Veteran
Alright I'll join in, my current set up was partially inspired by this thread and is still being dialed in.

Flower (x2 identical cabs)
70w CMH rx7s 3000k 6800lm
1-2x23w CFL 2700k 960lm (depending on strain)
30x40x100cm (1.33 sq ft)

Veg/seedling
6x23w CFL 6500k (may replace with 1x 70w mh)
80x40x80cm

Running bag seed at the moment and sorting some teething issues, will get a thread started and some pictures on here for the next round!

Interested in seeing the pictures, I started a new project in a new mini tent a couple of days ago. I have a 51w COB LED in there and a Green Crack seedling in coco.

Gnz

Interested in seeing the pictures, I started a new project in a new mini tent a couple of days ago. I have a 51w COB LED in there and a Green Crack seedling in coco.

Here's some slightly out of date shots of a flower cab, all the old lighting wiring has now been removed and it's just running a single cmh and single cfl.

It's an old mdf flat pack kitchen cupboard, turned on its end with one of the doors screwed shut. I've made intakes from lengths of vacuum cleaner hose, I glued black foam rubber around one end where it fits into holes cut into the fastened door and back wall of the cab, it then does an s bend before being staggered around the cab.

The lights sit in a salvaged bathroom extractor fan and light unit, I've removed all the heat lamps etc and replaced them with a 70w cmh. It's fastened to the top of the cabinet over a hole cut to suit, I've fitted a piece of glass covering 2/3rds of this opening.
I'm using the original extractor fan from the lighting unit to pull air through the cabinet and over the box, it's stated to be "300cfm" but is probably more like 200. It's blowing air out through ducting into a home made carbon filter (not shown in photos).

Box temps are now sitting at 1c above ambient, approx 20c (68f) lights off and 24c (75f) lights on.

Light leaks are taken care of with foam weather stripping and copious amounts of black duct tape until I have the time for a more attractive solution!

Bag seed is in there working out the kinks and exposing any flaws, at one point I was running 135+w/sq ft but have reduced that to ~66.

The idea is with two of these and a veg cab, my wife and I will be able to pull a reasonable 1oz scrog every 4-5 weeks and eventually cut the amount we have to buy in half.

Attachments

• 2016-05-24 18.15.32.jpg
    2016-05-24 18.15.32.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160524_181241.jpg
    20160524_181241.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160524_165235.jpg
    20160524_165235.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160524_165213.jpg
    20160524_165213.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 60

earthwyrms

while, i don't know, it looks like if you trim those intake tubes lower, you'd have more air displacement from the lower cabinet / more fresh air. if starting a seedling lower, it would seem to give it fresher air and more room. also, with a longer hose, the force/pressure to intake air is increased. it seems absolute minimal hose length is optimal.

also, i might add, even though i recommended about the air intake, the box in the picture i posted doesn't have air intake from the bottom, it uses a head unit that intakes on one side and extracts through a pc fan carbon scrubber on the other side. a pc fan at the box's bottom is used to create turbulence and mix air.

the box is slightly over the challenge specifications as it uses a 18 gal rubbermaid container as a base.
Product Depth (in.) 15.9 (1.325 ft)

Product Width (in.) 23.9 (1.992 ft)
(1.375 x 1.992 = 2.639 ft)
Product Height (in.) 16.5 (1.375 ft) [x2 is 33.0 inches 2.750 ft, not counting the head unit because it isn't grow space]

however, the bottom base is smaller and i would guess about 1 ft x 1.5 ft

so if the OP is alright with it, i'll document experiments here, with it

it was running a 84W 7 band LED but the power supply broke and now it only has two 8.5W LED light bulbs rigged as a backup.

it was built using various ideas (blinx, pontiac, scrubninja, pinstripes and the person who made the tupperware container pc fan carbon scrubber, to name a few) from all over icmag

84W light, ~97.2W system

q3corn

I'll jump in!

I just completed my first round in my micro cab, inside dimensions are 11"x11"x23". I have 3x14w philips LED bulbs and a simple duct fan as exhaust. No carbon scrubber, as smell was never an issue.

5qdLbbH.jpg

My last cycle I did 4 plants and got 40g dry weight! Plants were Northern Lights, Citrus Sap, and 2 Northern Lights x Citrus Sap (my own cross). They're all in 32oz jugs of soil.

Here are a few photos of that session:

Day 15 Flower:
FUji8EX.jpg

Day 57 Flower:
tfwTbI5.jpg

Citrus Sap got cut on day 71:
wsYlWJE.jpg

NLxCS both came down at day 81, Northern Lights came down at 85:
C2H93Jq.jpg

CS ended up being only 7.5g. She didn't stretch like I had hoped, so she ended up not having as much budsites as the other girls. NL came in as the best one at 12 grams dry, and both NLxCS girls were just over 10g dry.

I think my density of budsites in the cabinet was maxed out, as you can see. But I think distance was something I was paying too much attention to. I think if I just get my plants a few inches closer to the lights this next time I could get 42g no problem!

Anyway, not sure what I'll be getting in next, but it'll most likely be from seed.

q3corn

Day 12 of flower. This is a bagseed/bagseed cross, sativa dominant with a really strong grapefruit smell. She was the mother to a few clones that never really caught, so I'm flowering her out to clear up some space. Decided to do 1 plant in the cab to see if I can beat my 40g crop of last time.

2 liters of soil, 42 watts of LED.

YMFvFLd.jpg

MicroRoy

Day 12 of flower. This is a bagseed/bagseed cross, sativa dominant with a really strong grapefruit smell. She was the mother to a few clones that never really caught, so I'm flowering her out to clear up some space. Decided to do 1 plant in the cab to see if I can beat my 40g crop of last time.

2 liters of soil, 42 watts of LED.

View Image

I'm curious to see how that turns out

q3corn

Day 31. This girl has definitely finished stretching and is starting to really bulk up. I think this'll be a 90-ish day strain, so we're about 1/3 the way through here!

3Z6pzaB.jpg

Starting to smell like oranges, but not a whole lot of stink unless you grab it.

What's been the highest yield seen from 1sq ft so far? What do you think is the highest possible yield? My overly optimistic/unrealistic side says 16 plants per square foot x up 12g per plant (using top/bottom/side lighting) and each plant filling out their 9 square inches = 192g. WILDLY speculative, I know :)

psyphish

Veteran
What's been the highest yield seen from 1sq ft so far? What do you think is the highest possible yield? My overly optimistic/unrealistic side says 16 plants per square foot x up 12g per plant (using top/bottom/side lighting) and each plant filling out their 9 square inches = 192g. WILDLY speculative, I know :)

50~ grams dry is the most I've got from 25x25x50cm box with 3xE27 LEDs.

q3corn

I think fitting 16 plants into 1 square foot is going to be tough! I had a hard time with 4, and that grow yielded 40 grams.

q3corn

Getting close! She's showing her fall colors for sure. Had some nutrient lockout last week (didn't check pH for a while), so I had to flush her, which definitely added to the yellows.

Smell is getting pretty pungent now. Smells like citrus and old feet.

wQG5tc8.jpg