Status
Not open for further replies.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so is neem cake the waste product from need oil extraction or is it a product in its own right?

i get neem seed meal over here - its given an NPK of 4/1.5/1.5 which i know isnt very relevant to organics but it does give an idea of the basic nutritional content.

VG

V

vonforne

so is neem cake the waste product from need oil extraction or is it a product in its own right?

i get neem seed meal over here - its given an NPK of 4/1.5/1.5 which i know isnt very relevant to organics but it does give an idea of the basic nutritional content.

VG

Yep. Here is something from the Neemresource site on it.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Neem oil, which is extracted from the seed kernel is excellent for its healing properties and is used in creams, lotions and soaps. It is also used in agriculture. In recent years the growth hormone regulating and anti-feedant properties of Neem oil have prompted a considerable amount of research. The United States Department of Agriculture has been studying Neem since 1972.

The residue is Neem cake which is used in agriculture as a soil amendment, protecting the roots and enhancing plant growth.
[/FONT]

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Ahimsa.... Last time it weighed about 8 ounces a cup. 5lbs was only about 10 cups or so and I wanted to have enough for outdoor and indoor plus extra for teas.

On ebay I didn't actually buy yet was going to watch and bid late.

Right now it is Bid for 12lbs at $35.00 with Free shipping.

NeemResource was 10.00 but I believe shipping is $15.00.... so I'm going to wait and see how this 12lb box does....

Buy it now is under $50.... but that's a little high even with free shipping.

O

OrganicOzarks

Ahimsa.... Last time it weighed about 8 ounces a cup. 5lbs was only about 10 cups or so and I wanted to have enough for outdoor and indoor plus extra for teas.

On ebay I didn't actually buy yet was going to watch and bid late.

Right now it is Bid for 12lbs at $35.00 with Free shipping.

NeemResource was 10.00 but I believe shipping is $15.00.... so I'm going to wait and see how this 12lb box does....

Buy it now is under $50.... but that's a little high even with free shipping.

Not all neem products are equal. Neem resource has higher rates of the active ingredients present in the oil, and I believe the cake. I would always pay the extra to get higher quality from neemresource. I believe clakcamas has posted multiple times about this.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Not all neem products are equal. Neem resource has higher rates of the active ingredients present in the oil, and I believe the cake. I would always pay the extra to get higher quality from neemresource. I believe clakcamas has posted multiple times about this.

It's happens to be the same product. Both are Ahimsa. I'm going to see if I can find it locally first.... all this stuff in here seems to be catching on.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I need to work on some hard clay soil.... There are worms and life in it... but very challenging to grow in.

Was considering growing beans, clover, alfalfa, barley etc on the soil to help for next year.

Any ideas?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey MHG, i would start by double digging it (when it is moist but not wet) and adding plenty of compost. after that try not to tread on it. clay becomes compacted very easily.
if you get frosts then leaving the big clods on the surface will lead to the action of frost breaking it up. also top-dressing with gypsum helps flocculate the clay particles into a nicer crumb structure, eventually.
worked clay makes a lovely soil, but it does take some work!

VG

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Have never used gypsum. would like to incorporate it into a soil mix as it is very reasonably priced and seems to have bang for its buck. The neem cake never tried either. Whats the cost on it folks? Also whats the Karanga and is it sourced outside of the continental U.S.? Thanks.

bigshrimp

Veteran
So im trying to go lime free gradually due to calcium rich well water, though this leaves me without a solid source of magnesium (DL) and sulfur (gypsum).

Anybody got ideas for sources for these elements without the calcium load?

Epsom salts would work but i've always read that they were bad for soil ecology.

Thoughts?

O

OKD

I have a nice healthy catnip bush, but I think the cats in the neighborhood prefer it dried and cured. Maybe I should use some in a tea? Any suggestions?

B

BugJar

I know this was mentioned earlier but my outdoor plants almost always throw sets of 3 when it is ready to flower. same deal with older moms, and occasionally I have seen the first couple set come out as 3 on stressed clones

just my experience but my outdoor plants do it nearly everytime in the last new leaves before flowering

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
So im trying to go lime free gradually due to calcium rich well water, though this leaves me without a solid source of magnesium (DL) and sulfur (gypsum).

Anybody got ideas for sources for these elements without the calcium load?

Epsom salts would work but i've always read that they were bad for soil ecology.

Thoughts?

I would not use epsom or any other salts

There are better ways to get your elements.

You know, I never understood this (epsom salts) or the current monsanto based strategy of "salting the earth" I would think we should all know better......

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Magnesium

Black Bean, Dwarf Bean, Field Bean, Flageolet Bean, French Bean, Garden Bean, Green Bean, Haricot, Haricot Bean, Haricot Vert, Kidney Bean, Navy Bean, Pop Bean, Popping Bean, Snap Bean, String Bean, Wax Bean, Irish Moss, Oats, Bladderwrack kelp, European Nettle, Stinging Nettle.......

Sulphur

Garden Dill, Parsnip, Horseradish, Garden Cress, Cabbage, Red Cabbage, White Cabbage, European Nettle, Stinging Nettle, Radish root, Spinach

Compost that shit.....

If you go to THIS JOINT You can type in a chemical and it will list the plants with the highest amounts.... click the plant name... it'll tell you what else the plant has in it.

O

OKD

I have a nice healthy catnip bush, but I think the cats in the neighborhood prefer it dried and cured. Maybe I should use some in a tea? Any suggestions?

I chopped a bunch (almost 1 lb) and added a lb of sugar and stuck it in a bucket. Then I took a smaller bucket filled with rocks and stuck it inside the catnip/sugar bucket to act as a press.
I'll let it sit a week or two and see if it's any good for anything!

bigshrimp

Veteran
Thanks for the input c4, yeah plant accumulators are the long term plan. Composting is at least a year long process even with worms so i was looking for more of a mined mineral ammendment to supplement in the meantime.

Su-Po- Mag anybody use it, have comments?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my big outdoor pile is a long cycle like that but; a well balanced small pile done in a bucket or 1 of the fabric planters could easily be done w/ the thermo phase in 1 month and another month w/ the worms would have you some use-able vermicompost ~nutrient cycling and everything

the key is 'well-balanced' that and using carbon sources which arent too 'woody' ~grinding up dry stems {straw} and focusing on alfalfa and the compost starters {comfrey, chamomile, dandelion, yarrow, nettle, et al ~it's a long list} you want everything fine if you are in a hurry

pour some of your amendments in there right @ the start too ~maybe use like tsp/gallon as the pile will shrink significantly ~err on the 'short' side

Husky Jackal

Very Neat Monster
Veteran
Hi everyone !
I just made some sprouted seed tea (oat) using CC's v1.0 of the recipe.
To make a barley or wheat sprouted seed tea, take 1/2 cup of seeds (grain) and sprout them like people do with any seed like Alfalfa seeds.
Once the seeds are sprouted, cover them with 1/2 gallon of water and let that sit for 2 or 3 days - no more!!!
Take 1.5 cups of this tea and add enough water to make 1 gallon - water your plants with that.
So with half a cup of this tea I'll make a gallon of solution, which is enough for my plants. My question are: What can I do with the rest of the undiluted tea ? Can I store it somehow ? How does your SST smell ? Mine doesn't smell too good...
Peace, HJ.

Last edited:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOW i never saw that recipe

i rinsed and used immediately but w/ that you would defo want to use immediate

V

vonforne

Once the seeds are sprouted you want to rinse and place it in a linen cloth or hemp cloth and lightly spray it with water to evenly moisten it and then fold the cloth like a book. Check it every few hours to make sure it does not dry out to fast. Once the tail is as long as the seed you then soak for 2 or three days. Use 1\4 cup per gallon and water in immediately. At the end you could blend up all the seeds with the solution and water all of it in but I would not save it. I have never heard of anyone doing that. If you don´t aerate it the fermentation process will start.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.