What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The New & Improved [ROLS MEGATHREAD].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo 420

Veteran
I gotta say im a bit disappointed in the looks of Bus blend bidynamic compost, comparing it to vital earths compost...

I will post up a pic in a bit, but its night and day difference between the two.
Bus blend being dry, having lots of wood and rock/perlite
vital being dark rich moist and generally looking alive.

My Bu's Blend has very little wood with no perlite. Its always dark and rich looking. This is a old bag mind you. Its near empty too. You either got a bum bag or the wrong product. I like the small wood pieces. Just not a whole bunch of it. :) They go with my no-till approach. Keeping various levels of decomposing organic matter in the media including the longer breakdown types

A bu's Blend product..

Y

YosemiteSam

I am curious about something...do the commercial growers using this method use more N amendments than the strict Cootz recipe?

It works and keeps em healthy but I have the urge to bump N at least a little bit...try to get a little higher yield.

shmalphy

Veteran
Alfalfa works for N, clover does too... Same with fish hydrolyse... More than one way to skin a cat, I prefer to take it from the air with the clover, but I will add a nettle tea or something if they look like they need it.

Y

YosemiteSam

yea...not sure I had enough microbiology to take it from the air. Plus if I had vermicompost vs compost I might have had enough.

thanks smalphy. Going to get some worms next week...hopefully by next summer I am ready to go with the really good stuff.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran

yours look similar to mine, but more moist. My shop must have got a bunk pallet because my friend at the store pre warned me and i got it anyway.. he does teas and og growing utilizing the vital line.

picture.php

picture.php

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Heres some more comparisons for compost. I used them both for variety. Im just giving some feedback because if you have to choose between one or the other I would certainly pick Vital.

BTW it wasnt perlite but wood ash that I saw in the biodynamic blend, that was my incorrect identification.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

Check out the mushroom compost, it has TONS of worms in it! Every shovel full has about 3.5 handfulls of worms!! It smells suprisingly sweet. Some parts lower down smelled foul/anaerobic so I left it in the pile. I kinda felt bad mixing in all the worms with the peat.. you could see the little guys wrigglin all over the place. After I watered in the compost tea they seemed to calm down quite a bit. I am excited to work with living soil. It seems like I can just keep adding to the compost and let the worms work there magic! I am feeling really blessed right now.
picture.php

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alfalfa works for N, clover does too... Same with fish hydrolyse... More than one way to skin a cat, I prefer to take it from the air with the clover, but I will add a nettle tea or something if they look like they need it.

i like clover~ it isnt like you'd say; 'oops i planted too much clover and burned my poor plants'

B

BlueJayWay

Yosam - there's a lot more to Cootz deal than his soil recipe as a standalone - Cootz has some gnarly vermicompost he makes that's fortified with the full range of soil amendments (kelp crab neem rock dust comfrey) that im sure puts 98% of any other vermicompost to shame!

Also at the beginning of cycles he was using comfrey syrup and then once weekly an alfalfa/kelp tea plus barley sprout tea, fulvic and aloe each watering.

invocation

This was a mix up with the label. It says "SoCal Master" but it's actually Gogi OG. Damn stoners! This is a great update for our ROL and No Till thread. Great example there.

20130430120558.jpg

20130430120612.jpg

Gogi OG in veg topped many times

VortexPower420

Veteran
schmalphy- could you explain more the mung beans and them helping to inoculate N fixing bac. I thought you had to inoculate legumes at planting to make sure you have enough to work properly, and then they will only stay active as long as you have growing legumes and enough Mo to allow the nodes to grow.

I could be wrong.

on a side note, If there is enough Mo in the soil the nodules will turn pink on the inside, that is how you know N fixing is going strong.

One of the Bac that fixes N at all pH's and in the company of many plants is Azospirillum. You can buy seed inoculants to introduce the bac to the rhizosphere at a early age and get them growing.

There is a great article in this months Acres about Azospirillum.

Timbuktu

D

dogfishheadie

finally caught a minute after moving into my new place for the past week. girls are about two and a half weeks old right now, approx 4" tall going on their 7th node..short, fat and Jesus h Christ do they look awesome. left them in their starting pot for maybe a day or two to long before I transferred into my 2 gal smart pot, signs of yellowing, drooping leaves and root binding. Did a top dress of EWC and hit it with the usual fulvic, aloe, agisil and 24 hours later only one bottom fan leaf is still a bit yellow, everything else has perked right back up and green as can be. huge huge thank you for all the knowledge here. first grow here and I couldn't be happier with the results thus far. really want to post some pictures but still a bit hesitant with cispa passed and I have shitty luck getting caught due to stupid little details.

thank you all!!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
finally caught a minute after moving into my new place for the past week. girls are about two and a half weeks old right now, approx 4" tall going on their 7th node..short, fat and Jesus h Christ do they look awesome. left them in their starting pot for maybe a day or two to long before I transferred into my 2 gal smart pot, signs of yellowing, drooping leaves and root binding. Did a top dress of EWC and hit it with the usual fulvic, aloe, agisil and 24 hours later only one bottom fan leaf is still a bit yellow, everything else has perked right back up and green as can be. huge huge thank you for all the knowledge here. first grow here and I couldn't be happier with the results thus far. really want to post some pictures but still a bit hesitant with cispa passed and I have shitty luck getting caught due to stupid little details.

thank you all!!

The Senate will not consider CISPA..... It passed the house and that is all.

Not saying we won't see another bill like it within months..... but nothing yet.

HughMungus

I've noticed quite a few of you are using the blue mats. These keep the soil constantly moist correct?

So is this beneficial when growing in a living organic soil, or is the old adage of wet/dry cycles what I should be aiming for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts