What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The New & Improved [ROLS MEGATHREAD].

Status
Not open for further replies.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I do agree with you FunTimes.... Just making sure I'm not blind to another unseen difference.

I think it'll work. It seems that Crab season is over and shrimp is kicking in..... so availability is probably the only difference, but I've heard more nutrients in the shrimp meal.... :dunno:

B

BlueJayWay

^^^ that

Often you will see 'crustacean' meal which is usually crab and shrimp mixed, easier to deal with as a byproduct from whatever their source is.....

D

dogfishheadie

so general consensus is pretty positive with TM 7? will it be a problem to use in conjunction with their ful power line? price seems pretty reasonable, however not too sure how much / exactly when to add for each watering.

pretty sure my parter is going to lose it when I throw another "alright, now you have to mix X amount of this, 24 hours before our tea is ready while facing the south". three months ago I was stoked to see fox farm nutrient line & gh ph +\- in my amazon shopping cart.....have to say, this shit is way cooler. just need to get my white lab coat and I'll be set

W89

Veteran
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shrimp-Me...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item416fd1294b

"This top quality Crustacean meal has a strong smell and is commonly used in bait production as it is a great natural fish attractor, contains a full compliment of amino acids & 68% Protein"

From another site
This is slow-release organic fertilizer derived from ground-up shrimp shells is a by-product of shellfish processing. Besides providing slow release Nitrogen and Phosphorus, shrimp shells are very high in chitin. Studies show that chitin provides a source of carbon and nitrogen that stimulates beneficial chitin-feeding microbes which multiply in the soil and consume the chitin in the shell meal until it is gone. At that stage they move on to consume any other high chitin sources that might be in the soil.

An all purpose organic fertilizer rich in Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Calcium and Chitin, a natural polysaccharide that helps plants develop healthy immune responses. Chitin has been linked to the stimulation of organisms that inhibit harmful soil nematodes.
Shrimp Meal is a concentrated source of minerals and like most marine based fertilizers is a natural and sustainable product for enriching crop soils.

Protein based products from the sea are a natural way of supplying critical elements that are released slowly and evenly through normal soil biological activity.

Seems a good source of nutrition I'm going to invest in a 20kg sack for sure, it may also be a good top dress for outside to stop snails and slugs getting to our plants

silver hawaiian

Veteran
so general consensus is pretty positive with TM 7? will it be a problem to use in conjunction with their ful power line? price seems pretty reasonable, however not too sure how much / exactly when to add for each watering.

pretty sure my parter is going to lose it when I throw another "alright, now you have to mix X amount of this, 24 hours before our tea is ready while facing the south". three months ago I was stoked to see fox farm nutrient line & gh ph +\- in my amazon shopping cart.....have to say, this shit is way cooler. just need to get my white lab coat and I'll be set

This is true! It increases the efficacy by about 77%.

Same philosophy as putting a stripe on a car - makes it faster!

:laughing:

somoz

Veteran
Barley Sprouts:

Hey, curious to know what purple barley you guys are using out there. I picked up a couple of pounds of the Purple Prairie Barley and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to actually sprout for me. I've been using mung beans instead as they pop without any coaxing.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
many times buying barley it will be 'prilled' and wont sprout

i havent sourced a purple barley but you want it to be seed intended for sprouting or seeding & not a bag of barley from the grocery store

B

BlueJayWay

somoz - never used purple barley but there lots of seed sites you can order it from, i'm on the wrong computer to post the links but a search should come up with some - clover, alfalfa, fenugreek, that kind of thing is easy to sprout and sprouts quicker....i got a 50lb bag of barley for $9 at the feed/farm store - endless supply for sprout teas so i'm using a lot of it to prep new areas in the yard...

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats a trip; i guess these worms from marle must be eisenia foetida

they get bigger than i expected and seem a little sluggish compared to the manure worms from my yard ~or maybe he runs a mixed population?

@ whatever rate; i set them up just last week and they have already converted the top 2" to castings ~thats why i am trip'n

xmo- You pretty much put those worms into some used soil right? I've noticed the worms really get shit done quickly in that situation. I did the same thing about a month ago...worms reduced the bin by 1/4. ie. the bin was full and now is only 3/4 full.

John Deere

Veteran
Got my little no-till up and running, moved them into flower today. The 20G pot fits my 2' x 2' cab perfectly. (400w hps) The bottom shelf is on sliders so I can pull it out for full access. I've questioned why I put those sliders in because I've never needed to use them before but now I'm glad they're there. :)

picture.php

picture.php

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
xmo- You pretty much put those worms into some used soil right? I've noticed the worms really get shit done quickly in that situation. I did the same thing about a month ago...worms reduced the bin by 1/4. ie. the bin was full and now is only 3/4 full.

actually when i raked back the top to start planting in my garden; there was about 3" of compost sitting on top in the way of getting to my soil seed beds

in the past; i have had seeds compost instead of sprout w/ such circumstance so i peeled it all back into a pile which sat for about 3 weeks ~then i used that long since finished/sheet compost to bed the worms in {in a garbage can ~no i dont recommend that}

they are convert'n it pretty fast ~making vermi-compost

it will probably go back where it came from as well as getting used for whatever i need castings for ~like soil mix

the finished castings from marle are good but i wanted to feed some of my compost to the worms and this stuff was as much in the way as anything

those seedbeds were fallow last year so there is lots of roots in that stuff as well

D

dogfishheadie

Barley Sprouts:

Hey, curious to know what purple barley you guys are using out there. I picked up a couple of pounds of the Purple Prairie Barley and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to actually sprout for me. I've been using mung beans instead as they pop without any coaxing.

same brand I bought, attempted to sprout them monday night in a four tier plastic kitchen sprouter with no luck as of tonight, I should have seen something by 36 hours no?

So I jumped the gun and built my no-till bed before having all the amendments. The mix consists of sand mixed with a local organic, bagged soil (peat, cow me manure compost, chicken manure pellets, kelp). The plats simply needed a home.

Today my EM Mest Best and Basalt rock packages arrived. I'm now going to add it to the bed as a top mulch. Do I just add the m^2 amounts mentioned on the packages or do I add more? What is the best way to apply it, considering I have a white clover living mulch? The plants in the bed are in their 1st week of flower.

So summing up: Sprinkle on soil, plugs? Amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.