What's new

The MTB (Mountainbike) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I used to be really into MTB riding. I've got 3 old racing hardtails laying around the house. They are an old Klein, Fisher, and Titus titanium. I ride mainly for exercise now but I keep saying I will get serious and really ride again. Somehow that never happens LOL.

Grimr3efer

I have a Motobecane Fantom Pro. It has a Ti-frame (hardtail). Has roc-shock sd race forks. Kenda small block 8 tires. Its a nice and light bike for the price. I use it all the time to help get water to my plants in the bush. Saves me lots of walking time :)

smokefrogg

Veteran
I have a Motobecane Fantom Pro. It has a Ti-frame (hardtail). Has roc-shock sd race forks. Kenda small block 8 tires. Its a nice and light bike for the price. I use it all the time to help get water to my plants in the bush. Saves me lots of walking time :)

nice man!

there are a few spots i've biked around at that will definitely get seed bombed once the special seeds are all ready to go muahahaha!

Hey people, i simply love to ride my bike...

So many pros and few cons, my bike is old but still good enough to kick some new bikers ass :p I never tryed the road bikes but yeah they should be like rockets ^^

Im going to start joining some people and organize some bike trails here in Portugal, if anyone would like to team up, you are wellcome.

Kind Regards and keep those wheels cycling :)

bentom187

Veteran
i have advice for you guys getting back into it. i am puking less by using my weight to push the biggest gears and actually going faster with less work. i do find it a nessecity in rougher terrain to lower them though.
i am around 235 BTW due to multiple injuries and conditions. so this may differ for others.

bentom187

Veteran
i just got home from another day of riding,i think as a guestimate i put in a good 12 miles,with about 8-10 mph average but we didnt go to far off the fire roads so we kept a good pace .
feels good to get my butt goin again.

Billy Jack

Great thread Spicoli, it's great to see so many other riders here. I grew up racing MX and BMX when I was a kid and picked up MTB racing about 20 years ago while living in the Carolinas. I live in a flatter, hotter area now but still get out and ride quite a bit and occasionally race in endurance races. I did the NORBA circuit for a few years but tired of the overly competitive, sandbagging douche-bags. Most endurance races are a friendly weekend of camping, riding, beer drinking and smoking and that's much more my speed.

I ride a few hardtails and one full suspension bike, all of the 26ers. I've been looking at buying a hardtail 29er for my upcoming 39th B-Day but still not sure what the best bang per dollar is. Any tips or recommendations are welcome.

I agree though Spicoli, smoke sesh and then a trail ride is tough to beat, I honestly think my technical singletrack skills are better when I'm buzzed. That could be the weed talking though.

Billy Jack

I used to be really into MTB riding. I've got 3 old racing hardtails laying around the house. They are an old Klein, Fisher, and Titus titanium. I ride mainly for exercise now but I keep saying I will get serious and really ride again. Somehow that never happens LOL.

What year and model Klein do you have? I've got a 95 Attitude Race that is my favorite ride. Fast sprinter, great climber, good head angle and she's only 22lbs. covered in dirt. The pre-Trek models are worth some serious money these days.

bentom187

Veteran
i dont see myself going back to a 26er, i have a 2010 fisher cobia, i paid about 1100 ,i have no regrets the frame is top notch and and the components can be upgraded to be the up there with the best of the carbons. the only complaint i have is the handlebars.

RebelGrow

hey fellows heads i too LOVE to ride! this is my fourth year of getting back to it real hard like. i started when i was younger and then dropped it forFUCKINGever. moved back out to a western mountain state and then back to the goodness of single track, slickrock, mountain meadows, crazy resort riding, just about anything. i'm not getting any younger so definitely need to keep on doing something that works the old cardio to keep off excess lbs. i romp it on a specialized eduro. it's a good all mountain to tame a lot of shit on.

Spicoli

Client of Wu-Tang Financial. You need to diversify
Veteran
Hey billy and rebel good to see some more ppl joinin the thread. Sounds like you are in paradise Rebel wish I had that kind of choices :). I have heard that wagonwheelers(29ers:)) are the way ppl are goin now a daze and the way bentom is talkin it makes me want to try a 29er out.

TacomaComa

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just getting back into it after a 10 year break. Picked up a Specialized Rockhopper expert 29er. very happy with my purchase and ive been riding every day for past week.

Spicoli

Veteran
Nice tacoma keep up the ridin bro. Specialized are great bikes too

bentom187

Veteran
oh spicoli, if you want to see the most fun part about a 29er ,do a good downhill stretch with one,its scary fast youll be giving the brakes a good workout. (discs are a must)

RebelGrow

the only thing about 29er's and downhill rough riding is the greater possibility of bending the rim, which has happened to a friend of mine. you can't take as many drops and ledges. the smaller the diameter the stronger the wheel. now 29er's are awesome for cross country though, that's no question!

Spicoli

Veteran
Ya def have to atleast try out a 29 and see what all the hypes about. Just rode my local track today and had a great time. Man I love this shit :D

bentom187

Veteran
the only thing about 29er's and downhill rough riding is the greater possibility of bending the rim, which has happened to a friend of mine. you can't take as many drops and ledges. the smaller the diameter the stronger the wheel. now 29er's are awesome for cross country though, that's no question!

yup didnt think about that one,i just do XC.

Status
Not open for further replies.