What's new

The mt69

flatslabs

Forgot to mention, but might want to ask them about a regulator as well before you get your tank and can't figure out how to hook up to it.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im actually going to pick up some nitrogen from a Costco tire center sometime this weekend. Thats the only place I've found locally that I can buy it. Any other suggestions on where to attain N2?

I'll update on how Costco N2 works out for me

Lots of Portland sources, Airgas, Praxaire, Matheson, etc,
but we use Industrial Source for our gases.

Pangea

Veteran
Nice, I wonder though, how does one tell when the line is purged of butane and starting to tank atmosphere or N2?

Another good reason to get hooked up on the N2 purging useage, thanks guys.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Nice, I wonder though, how does one tell when the line is purged of butane and starting to tank atmosphere or N2?

Another good reason to get hooked up on the N2 purging useage, thanks guys.

Very simple.... You guess lol... The first few times just dont do it very long, like 7 seconds or so, increase the time a few seconds each time till theres almost no butane that comes out of the hoses when you disconnect them. Sometimes i even close the vapor valve on the tank to get the pumps to build some nice pressure in the lines(100psi or less) and then open it back up. My theory is the pressure liquefies more vapor in the filters, lines and cooler and then it rushes into the tank when i open it back up. More random theories of mine lol:woohoo::dance013:

I like the N2 idea, but i wouldn't be able to feed N2 through the appion correct? just after to push the liquid out of the cooling coils? The appions hold quite a bit of butane in the condensers themselves, which is why i like the atmosphere technique. The room temp tank method i farted out a few posts back probably wouldn't work as it'd just be putting more liquid butane in the out side... hmmm

MEMED

The n2 connection is vca in the back. Its easy to regulate to .5 to1psi with the knob. I only get about as low as 10 off the regulator. I just hacked into my 1.9 and reconfigured it for n2. Tho the across is mainly a parts drying oven for me now.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very simple.... You guess lol... The first few times just dont do it very long, like 7 seconds or so, increase the time a few seconds each time till theres almost no butane that comes out of the hoses when you disconnect them. Sometimes i even close the vapor valve on the tank to get the pumps to build some nice pressure in the lines(100psi or less) and then open it back up. My theory is the pressure liquefies more vapor in the filters, lines and cooler and then it rushes into the tank when i open it back up. More random theories of mine lol:woohoo::dance013:

I like the N2 idea, but i wouldn't be able to feed N2 through the appion correct? just after to push the liquid out of the cooling coils? The appions hold quite a bit of butane in the condensers themselves, which is why i like the atmosphere technique. The room temp tank method i farted out a few posts back probably wouldn't work as it'd just be putting more liquid butane in the out side... hmmm

The recovery pump should pump N2 as well as atmosphere.

Bicycle Dick

We buy ours without fittings and just cut the bottom coil where it turns up, so that it drains out the bottom.
GW have you ordered from NY brew supply on amazon? I ordered this coil http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00420V094/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1 and it is soft drawn steel that the compression fittings I bought a paramount in Albany wont fit. the little ferrule in the compression fitting is larger than the tubing, enough to rattle around. is it just me? the tubing has slight ridges lengthwise, some sort of extrusion marks. is there a way to seal this or did I just blow a bunch of dough?

Sunfire

Veteran
I have two 25' coils and one 25' "immersion pre chiller" coil from nybrew. Both compression fittings from stainlesssteelfittings and from instalation parts supply fit on there nice, snug, and perfect! I ordered them directly though, not through amazon. They will also custom bend coils however you want.

Bicycle Dick

I have two 25' coils and one 25' "immersion pre chiller" coil from nybrew. Both compression fittings from stainlesssteelfittings and from instalation parts supply fit on there nice, snug, and perfect! I ordered them directly though, not through amazon. They will also custom bend coils however you want.
oh, I just realized this is from home brew stuff, not ny brew supply. damn.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW have you ordered from NY brew supply on amazon? I ordered this coil http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00420V094/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1 and it is soft drawn steel that the compression fittings I bought a paramount in Albany wont fit. the little ferrule in the compression fitting is larger than the tubing, enough to rattle around. is it just me? the tubing has slight ridges lengthwise, some sort of extrusion marks. is there a way to seal this or did I just blow a bunch of dough?

I've ordered from NY Brew, but not their coils. You might check it to see if it is metric. A coil sold as 3/8" from another vendor turned out to be 14mm.

You might check and see if it will fit the ID of a tube to compression fitting, so it can be tig welded into place.

Sunfire

Veteran
Idk about tubing, but with hoses there's two different ways of sizing and they are slightly different. A "true bore" 3/8 hose is similar but not the same as a "nominal" -06 hose. This stuff ca get tricky sometimes as companies have the tendency to mislabeled their products. I always call and double triple check this kind of stuff before ordering.

montroller

Just to be clear we always want the -06 size, correct? I'm assuming this because all of my fittings come in dash sizes.

Sunfire

Veteran
It's just like sae 45 and jic 37. It depends what your working with I guess. Idk about tube though to be honest. Hoses don't really matter too much because they pit the hose end fittings on there for you and those should not make a difference between nominal or true bore

cerkilr