What's new

The mt69

A6 Grower

Veteran
My filters probably get heated to 120 or so, they just sit on the bottom on the oven right on the heating element, and sit at full vac for about 12 hours.

I run 50 lbs(material) or so before i replace them, kinda depends on the material im processing. MY buddy works at RSD so i get nice discount on the filters and get my tanks replaced whenever i want for $50 :)

After reading the quote you mentioned i understand why im not sucking out all my water.... Hmmm i get once i get my 3.2 AI i could use the 1.9 to high heat vacuum the filters out every night. I noticed before vacuuming the filter every night they build up A LOT of water really quick when running 10+lbs of outdoor a day

gliders420

I haven't yet read through the entire thread, I've been quite busy with extractions lately, I just got one of these and I'm confused on how to recover the solvent properly, any tips?

Dab Strudel

Gw, im buying parts to make a heat exchanger and I want to know if I bought a regular 5 gal stock pot would the wall thickness stand tapping a hole and welding my tubing through it or do I need a pot with thicker walls? And neoprene, can I grab that at any hardware store? Spray or sheets or how should I go about it? Thank you as always

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gw, im buying parts to make a heat exchanger and I want to know if I bought a regular 5 gal stock pot would the wall thickness stand tapping a hole and welding my tubing through it or do I need a pot with thicker walls? And neoprene, can I grab that at any hardware store? Spray or sheets or how should I go about it? Thank you as always

We're using a thin walled stock pot too. Just takes more care attaching the thin wall to the thicker walled Schedule 40 couplings, and you have to hold on to the couplings, when you tighten the fittings in them..

I bought the neoprene foam at Gaskets Unlimited in 3/4" X 48" X 72" sheets @ $104. I use two layers, and it is available in thicker sheets, but it is easier to put on in layers, especially to overlap seams.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't yet read through the entire thread, I've been quite busy with extractions lately, I just got one of these and I'm confused on how to recover the solvent properly, any tips?

You're shucking us of course, just to stir someone up???

Telling the rest of the group that you are the only busy one and your time is somehow more valuable than ours, is a good way to do that, and if you didn't already know that, now you do.

Just got one of those what???

Tip: You must know what you are doing and pay attention to details to win.

Knowing what you have and how to operate it, is key enough to your continued good health, that I suggest you find time in your busy schedule to read what the rest of us have shared, or forgo operating a CLS altogether.

gliders420

You're shucking us of course, just to stir someone up???

Telling the rest of the group that you are the only busy one and your time is somehow more valuable than ours, is a good way to do that, and if you didn't already know that, now you do.

Just got one of those what???

Tip: You must know what you are doing and pay attention to details to win.

Knowing what you have and how to operate it, is key enough to your continued good health, that I suggest you find time in your busy schedule to read what the rest of us have shared, or forgo operating a CLS altogether.

wow, my apologies everybody. i didnt mean to stir anything up.
I guess i could have asked better, it wasn't just extractions i was busy with.

I had actually read almost all of the thread when i posted that, except for maybe a page or so. I reread the thread when told to by kb.

and i didnt find anything that didnt already come with the paper work that came with the mt69(other than making a custom one where the output comes out of the bottom of the unit). i hope i didnt miss something and make myself look even worse =p
so i went back to work for the last month...
but making me go through all the posts about making a custom mt69 (IC69) seems completely redundant, as this thread is almost completely filled with posts regarding that. maybe the tips are elsewhere in other threads i have yet to find...

seriously, why would i just try to start shit? im bummed you guys would think that.
its hard enough for me to get all my questions answered in the first place. =[

either no one knows, or im asking silly questions and everyone passes them up...which i guess means i need to do more homework?
but on top of that point, i do see people answering the same BASIC questions a million times, that are answered with simple googling.

other than this one about the mt69, i try asking unique questions, some that only experience will answer, so i ask hoping to save time, money, or both. i try not to ask questions either, google is my friend =] and when that friend disappoints i come to my other friends here =p

im pretty sure everyone on this forum does more googling and reading than they would like to on closed loop systems, butane, purging, and pumps, i know i do. Theres always more to read and learn.

i didnt know my time crunch last month would be such an issue, especially with everyone just talking about making the "IC69" instead of the threads original topic. so again, my bad guys.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow, my apologies everybody. i didnt mean to stir anything up.
I guess i could have asked better, it wasn't just extractions i was busy with.

I had actually read almost all of the thread when i posted that, except for maybe a page or so. I reread the thread when told to by kb.

and i didnt find anything that didnt already come with the paper work that came with the mt69(other than making a custom one where the output comes out of the bottom of the unit). i hope i didnt miss something and make myself look even worse =p
so i went back to work for the last month...
but making me go through all the posts about making a custom mt69 (IC69) seems completely redundant, as this thread is almost completely filled with posts regarding that. maybe the tips are elsewhere in other threads i have yet to find...

seriously, why would i just try to start shit? im bummed you guys would think that.
its hard enough for me to get all my questions answered in the first place. =[

either no one knows, or im asking silly questions and everyone passes them up...which i guess means i need to do more homework?
but on top of that point, i do see people answering the same BASIC questions a million times, that are answered with simple googling.

other than this one about the mt69, i try asking unique questions, some that only experience will answer, so i ask hoping to save time, money, or both. i try not to ask questions either, google is my friend =] and when that friend disappoints i come to my other friends here =p

im pretty sure everyone on this forum does more googling and reading than they would like to on closed loop systems, butane, purging, and pumps, i know i do. Theres always more to read and learn.

i didnt know my time crunch last month would be such an issue, especially with everyone just talking about making the "IC69" instead of the threads original topic. so again, my bad guys.

We all have our moments of insanity and just plain thoughtlessness brother, especially when we are busy.

Now that you understand the negative response from telling the rest of us how important your time is compared to ours, could you be more specific on what you have and the question you wish answered?

gliders420

Curious how much solvent people have left over after they "recover" their chiller, whether it be an mt69 or not.

Also curious how many people actually valve it off and put it on a manifold, as opposed to inline recovery?

To be honest i haven't valved it off and put it on the manifold. waiting to be able to buy more valves.

But i can close off the recovery port on my collection pot, which is essentially the line to my tr21 intake. I would believe this would create enough vacuum to pull it all out, but not really.
I toss it in hot water and watch the gauge on the unit and on my intake line(low pressure gauge) to read recovery.

It pulls down to -20 in seconds, but i dont recover fully. And sometimes i recover more than other times.

Sometimes i close off the valve to my recovery tank to build a little back pressure and push it in when i open it back up. helps a little bit, but im still getting inconsistent results.

Ive recovered next to all of it before. it happened once, maybe twice. When almost ZERO gas came out the line. Was that a fluke? i usually shoot out quite a bit. i dont think its like a full can or anything but i liked it better when it was almost none...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's easy to scavenge all of the butane on the intake side of the recovery pump with valves, but on the discharge side, not so much.

Not only is there hose and a heat exchanger between the pump discharge and storage tank, but there is also a filter drier, and we've recently added a water trap, so there is a significant amount of volume involved.

Easy to orient the coils and filters so as to be self draining, thus reducing the contents of the system to just vapor, but even the vapor is a significant amount of butane.

You can heat the coils, drier, trap, etc, and reduce the density of the butane contained.

You can super chill the recovery tank to create cryo pumping and recover most of it, but to recover the rest, you need some sort of recovery pump.

You can reduce the distance and complexity of the discharge plumbing to the tank with bypass valves, so as valve the discharge assembly to the intake side of the pump, with a short straight line to the tank, or even another tank on the discharge side.

A6 Grower

Veteran
I dont recommend this but it does work when taking proper precautions.... I unhook my recovery hose with the machine running and use the recovery pump to pump air through everything into the tank lol... Yes this introduces tons of air into the tank, which is why i burp that air out every morning after doing this... Again, probably not the best technique but it does make it so i don't lose a ton of butane every run.... On this subject i guess i could use a tee and a hose with a valve, with the tank of warm butane i use for pressure to push all the liquid out of the cooler. Then i wouldn't be using air... Hmmm i should try this lol

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont recommend this but it does work when taking proper precautions.... I unhook my recovery hose with the machine running and use the recovery pump to pump air through everything into the tank lol... Yes this introduces tons of air into the tank, which is why i burp that air out every morning after doing this... Again, probably not the best technique but it does make it so i don't lose a ton of butane every run.... On this subject i guess i could use a tee and a hose with a valve, with the tank of warm butane i use for pressure to push all the liquid out of the cooler. Then i wouldn't be using air... Hmmm i should try this lol

An interesting simple solution, and why I love sharing brain farts!

How about if we do that, but substitute nitrogen for atmospheric air!

Some systems are already using nitrogen injection as a backfill, and some liquid N2 as a refrigerant, so a simple matter of plumbing to add another purge line.

Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort, whoop, whoooooop, awhooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Chonkski

An interesting simple solution, and why I love sharing brain farts!

How about if we do that, but substitute nitrogen for atmospheric air!

Some systems are already using nitrogen injection as a backfill, and some liquid N2 as a refrigerant, so a simple matter of plumbing to add another purge line.

Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort, whoop, whoooooop, awhooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Im actually going to pick up some nitrogen from a Costco tire center sometime this weekend. Thats the only place I've found locally that I can buy it. Any other suggestions on where to attain N2?

I'll update on how Costco N2 works out for me

MEMED

So then we bleed the n2 out b4 we run gw? Ive been running n2 from a local oxy supplier for about a month in my ovens and it has made an awesome difference in my purging practices. The waft from my ovens opening is just as loud as it was last time I opened em now and I love it! Im ading a port on my lid for n2 on my system and will try tht out next...

Chonkski

So then we bleed the n2 out b4 we run gw? Ive been running n2 from a local oxy supplier for about a month in my ovens and it has made an awesome difference in my purging practices. The waft from my ovens opening is just as loud as it was last time I opened em now and I love it! Im ading a port on my lid for n2 on my system and will try tht out next...

What kind of oven do you have?

I'm wondering how I will bleed in n2 with the Across international pressure release "valve"(rubber thing).. Shouldnt be hard though I guess.

Welding gas suppliers. Probably ~ $100 deposit for a tank plus whatever they charge you for a fill.

Thanks FS, I will do some calling around when I get a chance.

UPDATE: just found a local gas supplier, and you were right about pricing. I will have my tank on Monday, Woohoo!

I'm going to be needing two now that I think about it. Time to switch back from a tee to a cross on my collection lid!

Latest posts

Latest posts