What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Mexican Landraces Thread

elchischas

Veteran
Hi breethen..
By the way a highland Michoacan strain growing alone. Just testing a batch
IMG_20220712_213305.jpg
IMG_20220712_213027.jpg
IMG_20220712_213220.jpg
IMG_20220712_213512.jpg
IMG_20220712_213647.jpg

OntologicalTurn

elchischas

Veteran
that actually does look like a Mexican landrace. Do you know the story of the seed? where does it come from, Meseta Purépecha ?
From Michoacán there is a very good landrace, which I have not seen since, called Cola de Borrego (lamb tail)
It is a mexican landrace, it comes from tierra caliente area.
"Cola de borrego" or "Jarilla" its the classic strain from Sinaloa not Michoacan.

OntologicalTurn

Well compa, Tierra Caliente is a geographic region that does not correspond to a single state. Within which is the south of my state and a good part of Guerrero. Due to its geographical location, most of the mota that came here when I was a morro was from Guerrero and if you were lucky from Oaxaca. My state borders with Guerrero, a good part of its inhabitants have family ties with that other state (in fact, the entire state used to be part of Guerrero in the past). Your plant looks like the first ones I planted. There is a lot of confusion regarding the way in which many of the landrace varieties have been "translated" from here to the consuming public in the USA, but also to the Mexican pachecos themselves since in reality we depended on what the dealer told us they were, "lamb's tail", "donkey's tail", "monkey poop" etc. Some were quite ambiguous like the "redhead" there must have been dozens of different Mexican landraces that responded to that same name, others were much more characteristic like the already mentioned "verdelimon" which was then one of the decent most common around here, there was no Lots of way to check the pedigree of varieties rather than going to the fields, or growing them yourself and seeing if the phenotype matched other varieties grown with the same name. The borreo cola that I got then I was told that it came from Michoacan, but it is possible that the seed originally came from Sinaloa, I have never been to Sinaloa, although the photos I have seen show me plants with broader leaves than those I remember. I doubt very much that the pot itself came from Sinaloa, since the area around it was controlled by the extinct South Pacific cartel, who were enemies of those from Sinaloa, and generally the material traveled from south to north and not north to south. . Sorry if there are errors by google translate, greetings to all. and very nice plant

It is a mexican landrace, it comes from tierra caliente area.
"Cola de borrego" or "Jarilla" its the classic strain from Sinaloa not Michoacan.

elchischas

Veteran
Definately "tierra caliente" its a huge area between Michoacan and guerrero I know that very good, i supose that you also know that isn't easy to ask the origin of the weed to the drug Dealers, other wise i'll be telling You the origin of the strain. Well there's many nicknames that until today still got the same strains, as far I know there's no dozen of méxican with the same nickname. You said that you are from Michoacán right? So You must to know the classic nicknames of that area. Michoacán still got few pure landraces You just have to know the right people to get it.
More Michoacána photos
IMG_20220712_213853.jpg
IMG_20220712_213420.jpg
IMG_20220712_213122.jpg
IMG_20220712_213220.jpg
IMG_20220712_213729.jpg

OntologicalTurn

Definately "tierra caliente" its a huge area between Michoacan and guerrero I know that very good, i supose that you also know that isn't easy to ask the origin of the weed to the drug Dealers, other wise i'll be telling You the origin of the strain. Well there's many nicknames that until today still got the same strains, as far I know there's no dozen of méxican with the same nickname. You said that you are from Michoacán right? So You must to know the classic nicknames of that area. Michoacán still got few pure landraces You just have to know the right people to get it.
More Michoacána photos
View attachment 18738525 View attachment 18738526 View attachment 18738527 View attachment 18738528 View attachment 18738529
hola carnal, creo que estas malentendiendo lo que quiero decir probalemente cosa del traductor del google. Suelo escribir mis mensajes en español y traducirlos por ahí. No me refiero a tu planta cuando digo que seguro hay docenas de landrace de aqui con ese nombre, me refiería a la "pelirroja" de antaño, para decir que a cualquier mota con pistilos rojos se la llamaba así. Era un ejemplo para decir que justo como dices es dificil saber el origen exacto de una variedad solo por su nombre. Tampoco digo que tu planta no sea de michoacan compita o que no sea una landrace, digo que como sabes es posible que las variedades tradicionales tal vez tienen mas que ver con regiones culturales que con los limites de los estados, por ejemplo es posile que las variedades de tierra caliente esten mas relacionadas con las variedades de Tierra Caliente de guerrero o jalisco, que con las variedades por ejemplo de la zona purepecha y así.
Sobre la cola de borrego, estas seguro que es la misma que la jarilla de sinaloa? como te dijeron que ese guatito venía de michocan, como por el 2006. Igual como te dije , nunca he ido a sinaloa, ni fumado sus plantas, así que puede que tengas razón. Las landrace que he sembrado vinene de más al sur, Oaxaca, Guerrero chiapas, y aun así desconfio de los nombres. Por ejemplo aqui mismo en este chat se la pasan hablando de la "oaxaca highland" y francamente ese nombre puede ser el de un chingo de variedads, solo en la sierra sur entre miahuatlan y pochutla topo por lomenos 3 variedades que en gabacho bien podrían recibir ese nombre y son bien distintas, todas son motas cultivadas a mas de 2000 metros sobre el nivel del mar. Y en oaxaca hay otras sierras, cada sierra con un monton de microclimas diferentes.
No digo que no te la sepas, se que eres un veterano del cc, y se me hace chido que lleves tanto tiempo en el recate de las variedades de acá.
bonita planta

Montuno

...como el Son...
Destroyer "feno Verde Limón" [Meao Thai X (Michoacana Verde Limón/Colombiana Punto Rojo)]; Cannabiogen; borned con 20-July-2018); on 17-November-2018:

Her last day.
... If you think about it, it was so easy but much more productive (let's not talk about the quality and power) that plant an autoflowering plant on 20-July to harvest only 4 months later ....

Flavor similar to pear compote, sweet and fruity, very rich.
Psychoaptivity of high potency (at less 7, from 0 to 10) although less than the other "phenos". Clear and creative introspectivity, more "warm and happy" than "cold".

312b6f36d283b1712a170d0c49183ba3.jpg
31d55111e403be34fdefe8a25d59e455.jpg
ebd682a530cfd9574b5109db4c9b3457.jpg
b586d5f01ecbebedc01c3fa590a70f62.jpg
5d31bd1971294daf9b8fb4d366d5c7dd.jpg
a0a040e7630ccfa43bafe96e8d85cb56.jpg

Montuno

...como el Son...
Destroyer "feno Verde Limón" [Meao Thai X (Michoacana Verde Limón/Colombiana Punto Rojo)]; Cannabiogen; borned con 20-July-2018); on 17-November-2018:

Her last day.
... If you think about it, it was so easy but much more productive (let's not talk about the quality and power) that plant an autoflowering plant on 20-July to harvest only 4 months later ....

Flavor similar to pear compote, sweet and fruity, very rich.
Psychoaptivity of high potency (at less 7, from 0 to 10) although less than the other "phenos". Clear and creative introspectivity, more "warm and happy" than "cold".

View attachment 18739950 View attachment 18739951 View attachment 18739952 View attachment 18739953 View attachment 18739954 View attachment 18739955

b8bf30d231bbe50890b3dc66f6f4976b.jpg
34f3d8e32c0883889817034a99a35109.jpg
639eb63b28053342e22d8f3cf5c6518a.jpg
7ce4a961ad58d2f1fa5285d11767ebb0.jpg
63db640c756e03f1d7c852daee6c9355.jpg
2054b9764ad14c9cd7e6c11a3e6add1c.jpg

Saludos desde Sierra Morena

(Gachupinoland).

elchischas

Veteran

Definately its the verde limón pheno, really huge and dense colas. When this "version" began to distribute Charlie told me that if I want to try it, and he explained me that this pheno was found in Argentina. He used it just as a feminized version of Destroyer at that time,now i realize that was in order to offer a very comercial product.
I have had the fortune to try all the Destroyers
from its earliest days
basically my old friend "Estai" took care of the destroyer project.
In those early years here in Mexico we fall in love with the "pearl Thai" pheno that came out in the first packs, it was a spectacular smoke that surprised everyone who tried it. later in recent years someone told me that they had removed that pheno from recent reproductions of Destroyer. When I had the chance to try this feminized Destroyer we were pleasantly surprised at how high a yield she had, but when smoked she was not as potent as others we had.
many things are said about this "verde limón" selection of the destroyer, everyone assures that it is what Dutch passion sells as "Desfran" Good grower friends have told me that it is the same clone taken from Argentina...
Unfortunately there's no more destroyer at sales, but fortunately here in Mexico,a very good friend of mine and very skillful grower made a huge Destroyer reproduction for years and found two super powerful Destroyer phenos, one Thai and the another Colombian, this two selected cuts are in my opinion,the best of the best of Destroyer..
anyway some old photos of this Lemon Green pheno.
IMG_20220807_213708.jpg
IMG_20220807_213854.jpg
IMG_20220807_214050.jpg
IMG_20220807_214320.jpg
IMG_20220807_214512.jpg

Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Beautiful plants hermano @elchischas!
I bought (and grown) a pack of regular destroyers many years ago, just to look for that pearl pheno, I didn't find it (but I did find a delicious lemon scented male that I used to make Electric Lady).
I still have half a pack in the fridge, one day we will do a big open ripro ...
I am convinced that destroyer is a great sativa cross, both for those looking for something commercial and for us sativa nerds ...

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Small curiosity: like other great hybrids of the past, there are already false rumors and myths about destroyer genetics, from the fact that Oaxacan sativa was used to the story that kaiki would have used an elusive old Colombian / Mexican hybrid received from some elderly grower, up to fact that they would have crossed destroyer with meao thai, to make it thai dominant ....