What's new

the Mexican Landraces Thread

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Thanks for the info Bodymind and lovely to see the plants Van Vulpen! those pink pistils from your Michoacans KSP indeed look sexy too!

It's nice to hear that as I'm really fascinated by mexican and Central America strains like Guatemalan, Panama, etc... I guess they are very different to those more tropical from ecuatorial America as Colombians or Brazilians.

I've got some of those mexicans myself and I'm looking forward to grow them too and study them.

As far as the congolese, here in Spain due to the proximity of Canary islands to Africa, many african sativas were imported in a similar way as happened in USA with Mexican and Colombian. Congolese lines were seen often around and many of them had great characteristics.

I've tried two diferent, being one with a little "couchlocking sativa" effect... this particular effect found often in some southern african strains, that bring a relaxing mood to the body and a little of a stone also, together with the electric initial punch. I've experienced this effect too in the Malawi line from ACE and some of it's crosses. Very interesting strains for researching on medical uses for sure.

Anyway, one of those congoleses, hadn't that heavy effect at all, it was just like pure caffeine, clear, up and energetic. Earthy and carrot tones, great smell. What a pity that at that time, I was just a novice grower who got few nice beans from someone in a spanish forum, so couldn't preserve or cross anything. Lately, the closest thing I tried was the Congo Pointe Noire and some of it's crosses, where she tend to be also quite dominant.

Although, talking with few great growers and cannalovers here, i've heard there was another Congolese line (Congo#3) from Kaiki used to make the Congo x Chitral from CBG. Alex RIP, also worked at least 3 different congolese lines, the short, fast and compact Bangi and other bigger congos. The angolese green was something amazing too, much stronger than the red angolese and with similar effect. I have at home F2 from Double Congo, Congo Pointe Noire x Congo black preserved by African Herbman. The cross was done by Tropical Seeds Co and I'm sure that I will find gold some day if I have the space and time to work with those F2!

Sorry guys for the offtopic, let's keep on those mexican beauties!!

Arriba Mexico chingones! :biggrin:

Last edited:

inyectado

Mexican Ladies

Mexican Ladies

Great thread! All of my plants are Mexican girls, it's where I live. Been here since '96. I have seeds from many states, but most I don't know for sure they really came from that state. (never know from the street) Except, when I lived in Michoacan, 6 miles from a small village in the country. Electric service ended at our house! Some of the farms and ranches had plants among their corn crops. So, I had, have seeds from there, but I haven't kept them separated. Anyway, every year I have a interesting mix of plants. Here's a few pic's. The one next to the pump house is Michoacan, the rest are my garden this year.

Attachments

• DSC00252.JPG
    DSC00252.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 72
  • casa nueva 128.jpg
    casa nueva 128.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 59
  • weed 3 027.jpg
    weed 3 027.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 60
  • weed 009.jpg
    weed 009.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 57
  • weed 3 018.jpg
    weed 3 018.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 64

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
here are a few photos of one of my frostiest ladies of the year. outdoors too. gotta love the good ol sun as ur light source.
I dont know what the strain is, but the seed that grew this lady came from good mexi brick weed.

how can a seed from mexi brick weed grow somthing so nice looking? my guess is that anything is possable. what do u think?
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 552x690 and weights 127KB.
picture.php

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 469x625 and weights 139KB.
picture.php

bodymind

Veteran
Neither of my oaxaca79 look at all like that. That looks closer to the Barra Oaxaca line from RC colas, or some kind of Dj short stem color, really.

C

charlie garcia

Not purple on Oaxacan 79 as far Ive seen. There variances in size, height and so but all show a green/golden color
Some more pics of the Oaxaca leaning Mextiza. Tasty one
cuidense
kaiki
attachment.php

attachment.php

sinaloa

Veteran
mexican motas

mexican motas

very nice viejon,:biggrin:
i like mextiza

un abrazon

Attachments

• Copia de IMG0697A.jpg
    Copia de IMG0697A.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Copia de IMG0714A.jpg
    Copia de IMG0714A.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 46

bodymind

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

oaxacan 79 x oaxacan
picture.php

picture.php

oaxacan 79 x oaxacan - this plant regrew twice: once from a seedling with only one set of true leaves, and a second time after being ripped apart by wind and regrowing to seven feet in three weeks from a tiny bottom branch left below the breaking point..

C

charlie garcia

Nice structure Bodymind, looks like she's gonna fill in nicely
When did you sprout them?
Here the 79 near finishing, so classic oaxaca looking
best crops everyone
kaiki

Attachments

• Oaxaca 5 121024 073 copia.jpg
    Oaxaca 5 121024 073 copia.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Oaxaca 5 121024 023 copia.jpg
    Oaxaca 5 121024 023 copia.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Oaxaca 5 121024 022 copia.jpg
    Oaxaca 5 121024 022 copia.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 51

señorsloth

Veteran
landraces are strains that evolved wild in an area over millions of years...cannabis is an introduced species in north and south America, therefore there is no such thing as a mexican landrace...just growing wild doesn't make a landrace, oaxaca and others are merely feral cultivar strains from india and china, where landraces DO exist...they were brought here by the first settlers, explorers from spain and other parts of europe...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
landraces are strains that evolved wild in an area over millions of years...cannabis is an introduced species in north and south America, therefore there is no such thing as a mexican landrace...just growing wild doesn't make a landrace, oaxaca and others are merely feral cultivar strains from india and china, where landraces DO exist...they were brought here by the first settlers, explorers from spain and other parts of europe...

Actually the opposite is true.

"A landrace is a local variety of a domesticated animal or plant species which has developed largely by natural processes, by adaptation to the natural and cultural environment in which it lives."

The plant was very likely brought to India as well, still a landrace.

bodymind

Veteran
Charlie! Those oaxacan79 photos look very close to harvest! The more mature plant that suffered no wind damage is about two to three weeks from maturity. The wind damaged regrowth has at least another month or two unless she decides to finish early with the changing weather.

I sprouted the seeds in late april. Next year, I will likely plant in march and give them plenty of room to develop into the classic beauties. I have cuttings inside that will get pollen from flo, old time moonshine, and perhaps a nepali hashplant sativa.

señorsloth

Veteran
Actually the opposite is true.

"A landrace is a local variety of a domesticated animal or plant species which has developed largely by natural processes, by adaptation to the natural and cultural environment in which it lives."
you are clearly right, i went and looked into it and what i had believed was the definition of a landrace was totally wrong...im sorry for that guys, i just finished reading the whole article you quoted on wiki...this paragraph is esspecially insightful:

Landraces are distinct from ancestral species of modern stock, and from separate species or subspecies derived from the same ancestor as modern domestic stock. Landraces are not all derived from ancient stock unmodified by human breeding interests. In a number of cases, most commonly dogs, domestic animals have reverted to "wild" status by escaping in sufficient numbers in an area to breed feral populations that, through evolutionary pressure, form new landraces in only a few centuries. Modern plant cultivars can also fairly quickly produce new landraces through undirected breeding.

The plant was very likely brought to India as well, still a landrace.

that's probably true as well...since from everything i've read it originally came from china, although over hundreds of thousands of years it's not inconceivable that it spread there on it's own...

so ya, my bad guys, i was wrong and you were right, i was confusing the terms "wild" and "landrace"...BTW, those are some gorgeous pics guys!

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
how can a seed from mexi brick weed grow somthing so nice looking? my guess is that anything is possable. what do u think?

I think any "brick weed" isn't necessarily shitty weed, it was just treated like shit during harvest/processing.

Some of my most memorable plants were bagseed and some of my biggest disappointments have been "known" genetics.

Don't get me wrong, I've probably popped a couple thousand seeds in my life - if you want a known outcome, breeder genetics are the way to go. But if you have the room and time, never discount finding a gem amongst your bagseed.

señorsloth

Veteran
Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
I think any "brick weed" isn't necessarily shitty weed

swaag smokers come up with some crazy idea's...i know a guy, has sold swaag all his life, is convinced the seeds in swaag are from being cross polinated by corn and wheet...as if! he also swore up and down that they spray glue on it to get it to stay together in a brick...

i know tons of people that seem to think there are swaag strains, that grow out all shitty and brown...ive even heard people claim their swaag is grown in the usa...and they just apparently brick it for no reason...

i accidentally made some swaag the other month, cutting down my outdoor stuff, i accidentally sat on a cola for like an hour, it was flat, looked like wet swaag lol, brought it home, through it in my trim box...after a couple days it dried to look just like really good swaag...i was finally able to dispel my buddies "glue" theory about bricking pot... but it goes to show ya, it's really not hard to turn a beautiful sugary bud into a cheep hunk a poop...

so is a lot of swaag from these landraces? or do they use more commercial genetics or something?

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I think producing shwag has very little to do with the actual genetics of the plants being grown, and more to do with the entire process.

Think of all the ways you can fuck up your plants (including, but not limited to):

Under/over-water
Under/over-fertilize
Chop too soon/late
Dry to fast
Dry too long
Expose finished product to too little/much humidity during storage/transport

When commercial fields are harvested, you can figure that they are more concerned with getting the herb chopped and processed as quickly and stealthily as possible. Even if they do take more care than the average producer, what happens during the subsequent transport/storage until it gets to you could be a laundry list of bad things.

Producing outstanding herb is not overly complicated, but I wouldn't want to try to do it outdoors on a commercial level.

bodymind

Veteran
picture.php

elchichas "big oaxacan" which he describes as having a citrus scent and "good power". I had a branch break in the wind about a month ago and let it sun-cure on the plant. It slowly dies on the plant over the course of a week and the resin looked good so i decided to keep it.... The high is great. It's the classic mexican party weed. Good potency, clear, up, yet relaxed and thoroughly enjoyable and social. Slightly trippy, but not in a disorienting way... It's a keeper. She smells of orange, sour, and spice... :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
To Kaiki and all! Back in 1976 I was involved in spreading the message of true Mexican Sativas to many people in the Western New York area, Niagara Falls and Buffalo outskirt's to be more exact. It's a long ride from the Mexican heartland to the Canadian border area usually taking a little more than four weeks to reach my destination. Imagine coming from a tropical climate into more than three feet of snow more than once, but that's part of the business!! To get to the point I once came across a five lb. lot of the most YELLOW WEED that I had ever saw right up until today. This weed was the color of the yellow in the Smiles right next to the message that I'm writing. Out of the package I was able to just find about a HUNDRED SEEDS that's all!!!!! The high from the smoke was like a cross between mescaline and shroom's, awake and trippy and very thought inducive. Has anyone truthfully ever had any strain of Mexi Bud like this???? It smoked smooth and tasted like church incense crossed with oranges, VERY STRANGE indeed. Any takers on this product?? I only saw this stuff once and have kicked myself in the ass time and time again for loosing the only seeds that I was ever able to get my hands on. I feel like crying every time I think about it but I hope that before I die that maybe I'll run across some of this same strain again. Jon 54

I have seen Columbian buds with yellow small leaves, and have grown some strains that have yellowing leaves that fall off except for the small bud leafs. I also have seen some very yellow/green plants that start out that way from seed. But I've only seen pure yellow buds only twice. To be clear, I'm not talking golden brown. I'm talking yellow. Once was the Columbian Gold, looked yellow to me, and the other time was a Thai stick that was pure yellow. Both were exceptional experiences.

I read on one of these threads here, that when the American government started spraying paraquat in Mexico, the Columbians ramped up production for the U.S. market and some Mexican strains made their way to Columbian. It was claimed that Columbian gold was a Mexican strain crossed with an indica.

I'm just spreading rumors here, but I would be very curious if there are many Mexican ex patriot communities in Columbia that migrated there during the 1970s.

Latest posts

Latest posts