What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Manzinita Patch - Cream

pahut

I was going to say 'man that's a bummer on the seeds' but it sounds not that bad actually! Seeds for life and some wicked shatter. What process are you going to use to make it?

Thanks so much for posting this thread for all these years mate. I just read through it all and it's helped me with the timeline for my grow this season - just have to change times by 6 months. Going off yours it looks like we may be chopping late March, April first.

We've been removing males and hermys as we see them - am hoping like hell that we haven't pollinated out whole crop though!! We haven't let a male or hermy grow out like yours was - they're pulled at the first sign of anything untoward - but pollin scares the hell outa me especially seeing what it did to your grow haha.

Did your seedy plants develop like the callyx pics here? https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=367683&page=14
Pretty sure that plants pollinated as the callyxs are seeds, not sure how full of seeds it'll be though :/

Sourbear

I was going to say 'man that's a bummer on the seeds' but it sounds not that bad actually! Seeds for life and some wicked shatter. What process are you going to use to make it?

Thanks so much for posting this thread for all these years mate. I just read through it all and it's helped me with the timeline for my grow this season - just have to change times by 6 months. Going off yours it looks like we may be chopping late March, April first.

We've been removing males and hermys as we see them - am hoping like hell that we haven't pollinated out whole crop though!! We haven't let a male or hermy grow out like yours was - they're pulled at the first sign of anything untoward - but pollin scares the hell outa me especially seeing what it did to your grow haha.

Did your seedy plants develop like the callyx pics here? https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=367683&page=14
Pretty sure that plants pollinated as the callyxs are seeds, not sure how full of seeds it'll be though :/

The seeds where definitely a happy accident. I knew the kush male and female would propagate seeds. But I didn't expect the pollen to make my other Cream female plants who where a month ahead in flowering to get pollinated as well. This was the very first time I let a male ever grow in my garden and I wont do it again lol. It's incredible how much pollen that male shed over a 400 square ft area.

Lesson learned. I get a refresh of genetics for my Cream strain and can stop cloning the same mother/cutting. However I unfortunately have to pick out 6-10 seeds per cola in my Cream bud. Nothing to tedious but I definitely wont be flowering out a male in my plot anytime soon. I might flower out a male in a tent and collect/freeze pollen if I find a good enough candidate though. Platinum crossing this strain would be a good idea I believe, there are champion genetics in her DNA.

I have a friend with a C02/vacuum system for making shatter. I'm going to run some material with him.

Thanks for visiting the thread and supporting! I'm glad my grow has helped at least a few people out!

As far as how the seed calyx's worked: The cream plants ONLY had seeds in the top portions of the bud bear the crown of the cola. None of the cream plants had and f1-f2 nodes with seed calyx's, it was all in the crown of the buds.

However the Kush plants that grew on top of each other, literally there was almost no bud. Like the colas where huge and shapely but it was ALL seed calyx's. I've never seen anything like it before lol. I must have harvested over 600-700 seeds from that 10ft tall female.

And one last question - what do you typically yield per plant dried? They look so heavy lol

It depends on the year honestly. And how much veg time I get in on the plants before putting them outdoors. My stretch phase and starting of flower usually happens at the first week of august or last week of July. If I get my plants about 14-16 inches tall and put them outdoors at the start of june, I end up with 5-6ft tall plants that harvest about a pound each.

If I veg my plants and have them outdoors at 24 inches tall around the start of june they turn into 7-8ft plants and I get about a pound and a half off them.

Last edited:

pahut

Wow a month ahead and they were still eager to get pollinated - I'll remember that.

Do you think all the pollen has neutralized and you'll have no more issues? Would hate for some to be hiding in a crevasse and get picked up by some wind and get your next crop :/

So how many years now have you run the Cream strain? Must have it near to perfection by now ;) Do you ever consider running other strains or doing any deliberate crosses for some variety or does the Cream tick every box for you?

Would love to see a thread of you running the shatter with your mate! As you can see from my thread, we're going to have a bit of material to play with in regards to concentrates and extracts. Looking at a rosin press at the mo but CO2 sounds far superior.

Thanks for the info bout the seeds in your plants mate. The more info I can glean, the better I feel that I haven't got a fully pollinated crop (fingers crossed lol)

Your yields are great man congrats! Am hoping to get a few plants to the quality of yours. Unfortunately we've gone for a more haphazard growing technique so I doubt the quality will be there but we'll try haha.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Sourbear

Do you think all the pollen has neutralized and you'll have no more issues? Would hate for some to be hiding in a crevasse and get picked up by some wind and get your next crop :/

Nah honestly I'm not worried about that. We have some intense rain and snow that happens from November through to April and may. I'm almost positive all of that pollen will be gone or in the ground by the time I go outdoors. In 2016 I had found seeds in some of my trim bags, maybe like... 8 seeds out of 10-12 pounds of bud? I assumed the pollination came from insects, birds, or wind from a neighbors grow that let a male go. Sadly I have misplaced those Cream X Random male seeds and am waiting till the day they turn up again among my things. It has not happened since, but if it does I wouldn't mind some more random cream genetics.

So how many years now have you run the Cream strain? Must have it near to perfection by now ;) Do you ever consider running other strains or doing any deliberate crosses for some variety or does the Cream tick every box for you?
Ran the same cuttings off of a mother plant that got propagated every few years since 2014.
I have ran other strains in my plot but it was just kind of a fling of the moment, somebody had an extra clone or I saw something at a dispensary I couldn't pass up. Or like in 2016 I bought 10 Caboose seeds from Greenhouse Seed Co because they claimed to have Salmon Creek Big Bud genetics in it: so I decided to pop em and throw them in the plot. But nothing has been SO amazing that I had to save it and propagate it like I have the Cream strain.

The strain definitely has its ups and its downs, but the positives outweigh the negatives big time.
Positives:
Super frosty/Resin coated
Amazing bud to leaf ratio
Incredible taste and smell (starts off smelling of sweet vanilla, then turns to sour skittles near the end)
Really short flowering period

Negatives:
Branches are weak from heavy weights, typically needs support or branches will snap.
Plant will flip into flower early if you don't properly transition it from indoors to outdoors

And I cant really list that last thing as a negative because I think its a genetic issue from cloning/mothering the same plant over and over again.
Im not aware of Black Cherry Soda or Triple Threat having any type of auto-flowering genetics in them, and I only had a problem with early flowering as the strain has deteriorated from to many clones and mothers.

My plan for the future is to hold onto my Cream genetics and mix it with other champions that I run into. I want to explore the genetic possibilities and varieties she has to offer. I know I can use her amazing traits as a backbone to build off of. I would honestly love turning her into a Pineapple flavor strain. The other endeavor that I will be digging into for my garden is Pine Tar Kush. I'm a huge Tom Hill fan and love his genetics, I have been chasing his strains since I first smoked some of his Deep Chunk and PTK back in 2008. Humboldt CSI, and a few other breeders got together and popped/crossed 200 PTK plants they all had and started selling the seeds... So I'm going to get my hands on some of those beans and work them into my garden. Hopefully mixing Pine Tar Kush and Cream down the line.

There are only a few strains I really wana fuck around with right now:
Peyote Critical
Pine Tar Kush
Pakistani Citral Kush

In the next few years I will be including these ladies into my genetic mixing.

Your yields are great man congrats! Am hoping to get a few plants to the quality of yours. Unfortunately we've gone for a more haphazard growing technique so I doubt the quality will be there but we'll try haha.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Hey man! Grow in any way that you can, even if its not the frostiest or the biggest buds. It is still an amazing feeling & accomplishment to usher a beautiful life into and out of this world with reverence and respect!

haphazard or not, the real quality comes from putting the sweat equity into it!

Last edited:

Sourbear

fB3wz1a.jpg

zycuHIE.jpg

Last edited:

Sourbear

LrAf4zu.jpg

making progress. These 6 out of the 11 beans that popped are showing the most growth and vigor. I think my soil mix may have been a little too hot considering how dark green they are. The CreamxKush plant in the top right is showing some signs of having to much.

Not worried though because within 2-3 days I'm going to be up potting these ladies from quart pots into single gallons. Going to get a Coco Coir brick and mix up a new medium thats not as hot. The last time I grew plants in Coco as my medium I also used some White Shark myclium starter and the roots where boiling out of the top of the soil it was so vigorous.

Having some small PH issues that I think are locking out cal/mag

Last edited:

Sourbear

Today the ladies get up-potted :)
qfK7T0q.jpg

zaxGlDG.jpg

The bottom layer is Royal Gold Tuber & a bit of Cal mag.
The top layer is pure Coco+pearlite.

jLdFsMC.jpg

x6F9tb1.jpg

Post Transplant.

I still havent decided how im going to flower these ladies out to figure out who I want for outdoors this year. I'm thinking of cloning all of them and then when I have rooted clones: running the mother plants in my tent. Then use the clones to go outdoor with in June after i figure out what pheno is best.

Sourbear

More updates:
Tent set up, ladies tossed in.
4 out of the 9 are looking like super good canidates for going outdoors, hoping they are females ;p
I love seeing all the broad leaf genetics, and the 7 leaf nodes popping out. The mother kush plant last year had a fan leaf with 11 tips... was amazing. Only two of the ladies have a skinnier profile to their leaves.
qZOFVnK.jpg

yd86iLY.jpg

Sourbear

For the past week we have had some pretty nasty snow for where we are located. About 3ft of snow dropped and crushed a few sheds and dropped a few trees on the property. Spent 3-4 days with the power coming off and on at random times. So the ladies in the tent have been dealing with some extreme cold temps whilst hanging out in the garage. Growth has slowed down a bit but I can understand why with the conditions they have had to endure for a while.

Top two right ladies need some nitrogen, they didn't tap into the food at the bottom of the bucket fast enough so I'm going to need to mix up some tea earlier than I thought.

Everything is on par/course to continue though. I'm going to wait for a little more growth before I start taking clones and flipping to 12/12.
XwU9j6H.jpg

UJNWzxK.jpg

rkGygcp.jpg

On a side note: I popped 8 more KushXCream seeds in my veg station. I figured some of the plants in my flowering tent might be male and I will have to pull them out. I'm going to veg up the 8 new seedlings and phase them into the tent as space opens up and keep a perpetual harvest going once the lights hit 12-12. I have about 10-12 five gallon geopots that I'm going to be putting these new cream seedlings into and flowering out for quick returns.

Edit: after those two rounds of flowering are done I should have my 12 females ready for outdoor. Then I am going to start popping the KushxKush seeds and flower them in my tent, seeing if I can find the pineapple or Kandy Kush phenotype I am looking for.

Sourbear

Something interesting happened whilst popping more KushxCream seeds this week. I germinate my seeds in a paper towel then transplant them right into soil. For some reason a pink/magenta/purple color was being bled off from the seedling to the paper towel.

MtrtLEf.jpg

I haven't done anything different with my germination process, and this is the first time I have seen this magenta/pink color on seedlings before.

here you can see some of the same pink/magenta color on pistils from a Cream plant that I flowered out a few years back. I'm pretty used to finding 1-2 % calyx's and pistils being either pink or purple.

AXIRyse.jpg

I separated the 3 seedlings that where showing the most pink color, going to be keeping an eye on them.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Something interesting happened whilst popping more KushxCream seeds this week. I germinate my seeds in a paper towel then transplant them right into soil. For some reason a pink/magenta/purple color was being bled off from the seedling to the paper towel.

View Image

I haven't done anything different with my germination process, and this is the first time I have seen this magenta/pink color on seedlings before.

here you can see some of the same pink/magenta color on pistils from a Cream plant that I flowered out a few years back. I'm pretty used to finding 1-2 % calyx's and pistils being either pink or purple.

View Image

I separated the 3 seedlings that where showing the most pink color, going to be keeping an eye on them.

Thats trippy, Good luck this season! Should probably be using tweezers too lol, shit is fragile

Sourbear

Okay guys back with another update, sorry for such a long delay in between posts I have just been so damn busy lately. Every single plant you see here is a seed plant that was bred last year. There are two pots with Kush x Kush plants in them, and the rest are Cream x Kush plants.

So in this photo: the plants you see up front that are in the 3-5ft tall range, those are all Cream X Kush seedlings that I popped in my tent and eventually brought outdoors. The monsters you see in the background that are 9-11ft tall. Those where seeds that fell into the pots during harvest from last years pollinated mess of a grow. The seeds popped up in about march and I just kept tending them as they where.
ZPwhfp0.jpg

Here are photos of the seed plants that have been in soil since March:
Cream X Kush:
AHGClng.jpg

Another Cream X Kush:
gVoK5MK.jpg

and here is a photo of the Kush x Kush seed plant. The Kush X Kush plants are taller and definitely not nearly as bushy. But god damn they are tall as hell.
XtpTOAj.jpg

We haven't even hit stretch yet and I'm kinda worried how tall/heavy this branches are going to get ;p I know what kind of buds this strain can produce.

One more shot showing where I topped one of the Cream ladies, the nodes are like knuckles on these fucking monsters XD
QrP1JaO.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fantastic garden this year! Love it when you go out to plant and the work is already done!

I like the rocks for mulch, use what you have!

I have afghan kush plants, they're efficient growers in partial shade sites!

The big plants should be ok, let them blow in the wind and it will strengthen the stems. You can always pile soil/compost around the stems to help hold them up.

Going to be some big buds! :smoke:

Sourbear

Fantastic garden this year! Love it when you go out to plant and the work is already done!

I like the rocks for mulch, use what you have!

I have afghan kush plants, they're efficient growers in partial shade sites!

The big plants should be ok, let them blow in the wind and it will strengthen the stems. You can always pile soil/compost around the stems to help hold them up.

Going to be some big buds! :smoke:

I started doing the big rocks like this in order to stop evaporation from the sun and wind. I tried wood mulch and bark but it didn't prove much help under the direct sunlight. The first year I did the rocks my plants where so fucking happy. Instantly noticed how much broader the fan leaves where. I know that big rocks trap humidity and heat so that HAS to play into it some how. I also discovered that it allocates enough protection from the sun for the roots to come all the way up to the surface level. I would flip over rocks and the plants roots where literally reaching out and hugging up against the rocks. Where as before when I mulched with wood chips or bark, the roots where still 3-4 inches under the soil before i could visibly see them.

I notice a direct correlation between size of rocks and soil coverage and plant size. I only have so many LUNKER rocks, and lots of smaller ones. The pots I cover with all lunker rocks ends up being the biggest plants.

Also I recalled Paul Stamets saying that mycelium really enjoys breaking down rocks for trace minerals. So it all seemed to synergize together very well.

This strain I have been working with used to have alot of problems with weight being to much for the branches and snapped limbs where basically expected. I'm at like 4000 elevation and we get some nasty winds. Then I started adding Internal/External Cages to keep all the arms supported. Tied them up to the cage as they got heavy. THEN the next year all I did was internal cages and started spray feeding Silica and dressing top soil with silica and the plants roots/stock/arms/knuckles all have doubled in strength and size. With just a single internal cage and lots of silica, the plants have not had any issues with weak branches. BUT then again I normally grow 6-7ft tall plants. not 10-12ft. Not used to having the top colas 2-3 feet above the top of the cage XD

I'm fucking excited for this years turn out. Every single pot is potentially a different pheno ;p And this strain has champion DNA in her genetics.

Sourbear

I took some more photos of the ladies today after watering. It is really crazy how close these plants are looking to the very first Cream cuts that I was given. The node spacing, the spread out fan leaves, it just doesn't have a whole lot of inner growth. It really amazes me how it grows just like the original mother plant from back in the day. These two photos really show how akin they are to my first years plants.
yulIXBt.jpg

dQHK9Hq.jpg

This photo here is another Cream x Kush plant but she is much taller, and has alot more density in her inner growth, she seems to have more of a kush influence but still has hints of the cream in her.
TOQhRDn.jpg

I also went around and topped all of the 3-5 ft tall dwarf plants to get some thicker growth out of them before stretch happens.
CFyieBk.jpg

Sourbear

I also found the photos of the seedlings that survived winter and are now monsters. This picture was taken in late March. Kind of makes me wana just toss seeds into my pots in late march instead of fighting with popping seeds and taking clones in my tent during the winter.
gbQc6rg.jpg

lr6Oj3W.jpg

PDX Dopesmoker

View Image

View Image

Is that some kind of pink marijuana saffron? Is it the dried pistil staining the paper towel?