What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im having some issues with my no till soil the last 3 runs. Its about 2 years old now on the 6 or 7th flower cycle. I keep getting premature yellowing.

I did a soil test but idk if my lab is just using different methods than most labs but my numbers are really high. Ive been reading up on slow nickles thread and been learning a lot. I have tons of ca but cec is 90!

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78785&pictureid=1904665&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

The morgan is reacting all that oyster shell which will be available in a couple of grows. Too much carbonates including oyster shell, can cause weird reactions in the soil. Better to compost carbonates for a couple of months in a good worm casting before trying to use it.

frankslan

Was this a Morgan test as well?

For a no-till over a few cycles, your density is going down. I would have thought that should go up.

Yes Im pretty sure they use the morgan method. I dont seem them mentioning anything besides morgan on the website. That test was the compost to make my soil.

The morgan is reacting all that oyster shell which will be available in a couple of grows. Too much carbonates including oyster shell, can cause weird reactions in the soil. Better to compost carbonates for a couple of months in a good worm casting before trying to use it.
Aren't worm castings full of carbonates?

Last edited:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Slow...does the pH at 6.9 make sense to you? I would have expected higher

That is one of the signs that the Ca number is not correct, wrong procedures. This is why the K-3 procedure at Spectrum was put together. The numbers speak themselves, the procedure also calls for weighing out 2 grams.

jidoka

B4DB907D-C3BB-4971-BBEE-80C66669D18D.jpg

GH weed finishing at its least light time of the yr with additional light only on 6 hrs per day. Turns out there actually is a trick to dealing with low light and cooler temps

jidoka

P in the plant is never going too be as high as K. I shoot for k:p (elemental) in the plant of 5:1. In the soil, or in the salt mix is a different story.

I would say hire the right consultant :).

Or start with getting enough Ca (credit to slow on that one...maybe 4:1 Ca:K in the plant). The rest will reveal itself once you have done that

The real mystery to me is how much so4 do you need for terpene maximization

GSWCali

Happy holidays everyone! Piecing things together to get my next grow ready. A couple months ago I got my water report back so I can use raw salts as my nutrients.

With the help of GrowingCrazy he said my water is great for what I want to do and I can use H3PO4 as ph down and to add the extra P that I need. The numbers GC gave were N100 - P100 - K120 - Ca115 - Mg50 - S60 - Si~17 - Fe3 - Zn1.2 - Mn2 - Cu.6 - B.45 - Mo.15.

Jidoka then gave advice to lower Mg to 25, get Ca above K, and to switch Mn with Fe. With that advice Jidoka, I came up with this, N100 - P120 - K120 - Ca140 - Mg25 - S60 - Si~17 - Fe2 - Zn1.2 - Mn3 - Cu.6 - B.45 - Mo.15. Thats ~0.8 EC, would this be sufficient at the start and I would adjust from there as to the plants needs? My medium will be pure coco and for my start, I have 6 inch flora flex pots that will be used. Would that profile be sufficient with the initial buffering of the coco's CEC? When the time comes, I plan to transplant to 10 gal smart pots and I'm wondering if I need to adjust the buffering profile the same as the plants or if I can use the same profile above to buffer the new coco in the 10 gal pots. I appreciate any advice that I can get. Thank you!

jidoka

That balance is ok

But, just like an onion, there are always more layers. For example take those flora flex pots. They are designed to maximize early root growth with the open grid bottom and that design that lets air move under them

To take advantage of that pot you need to start with one or two wet to bone dry cycles. To the point petioles droop but before stems do. After one of these cycles do you see roots poking out all over the bottom...yes, move on to daily watering with runoff; no, repeat the dry down

How fast that can happen will depend on transpiration. I find 80F, 80-85rH% and 500-600 par 18 hrs per day...if you have t5s slammed down about 8 inches above the tops

Now you are set up for healthy growth, which happens to be shockingly fast growth

And brings me back to your actual question and the 2-3 issues I see:

1) counting on what is on the cation exchange sites of coco is never a good idea. Inevitably there is too much K, Ana and Mg (I have seen 20% on coco with an M3) and not enough Ca. You are feeding toddlers sugar from the get vs high fat and protein

I start my plants in 6 inch with an EC of 2.4 of a balanced mix. I water to a lot of runoff and then let them sit one day before planting

Remember my goal is to fill that pot with roots ASAP with a dry down that makes Ca way more available. If you go 0.8 you are going to run out of food way before water

2) when I roll into daily feed I stay with 2.4

3) in early veg I use lower P by replacing it with either sulfate or silicate. But this is a minor one and you won’t see a big diff

I realize 2.4 might make you think I am an idiot. But unlike bottle nutes you have the balance to pull it off. I would urge at least 1.8

GSWCali

Jidoka thank you for this valuable info!

To your first point on maximizing root growth. I have 4 1000w gavitas indoors and I usually use clones, about 8-12 under each light which allows the room to get quite hot so transpiration is decent. This future run I am going to go the seed route but only 6 as I plan to attempt trees. At the start, I will only need one gavita on until the seeds grow a bit. I can go as low as 200w so I will play around a bit to see how much light is needed. I really don't know if this is a good idea to veg with the gavita, I haven't read anyone who does that from seeds. The issue I can see is with one light on at low wattage, with the temps outside being slightly cold, the indoor temp might not get as high as needed for the proper transpiration needed. Maybe I'll have to add a heater. Would you suggest installing t5s just for the early veg?

"You are feeding toddlers sugar from the get vs high fat and protein".. wow that was beautiful! Makes so much sense and now it really clicks on why you initially said to lower Mg from 50 to 25. Just like us humans if we prioritize sugar over healthy fats and proteins then our foundation is all messed up and we will foresee problems.

Ok so 0.8 is too low and food will be depleted way to fast. I'm going to work on a balanced profile within the range of 1.8-2.4. Now this ec is for daily watering and like you said this can take a couple of days or a week depending on transpiration. What ec range would you recommend with the wet to dry cycles?

You might be the first to say you use 2.4 from the get go but I think that's because the majority uses bottled nutes. I'm intrigued with raw salts and formulating diets for plants to their needs. Kind of like customizing diets for myself with Protein-Carb-Fat balances.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That balance is ok

But, just like an onion, there are always more layers. For example take those flora flex pots. They are designed to maximize early root growth with the open grid bottom and that design that lets air move under them

To take advantage of that pot you need to start with one or two wet to bone dry cycles. To the point petioles droop but before stems do. After one of these cycles do you see roots poking out all over the bottom...yes, move on to daily watering with runoff; no, repeat the dry down

How fast that can happen will depend on transpiration. I find 80F, 80-85rH% and 500-600 par 18 hrs per day...if you have t5s slammed down about 8 inches above the tops

Now you are set up for healthy growth, which happens to be shockingly fast growth

And brings me back to your actual question and the 2-3 issues I see:

1) counting on what is on the cation exchange sites of coco is never a good idea. Inevitably there is too much K, Ana and Mg (I have seen 20% on coco with an M3) and not enough Ca. You are feeding toddlers sugar from the get vs high fat and protein

I start my plants in 6 inch with an EC of 2.4 of a balanced mix. I water to a lot of runoff and then let them sit one day before planting

Remember my goal is to fill that pot with roots ASAP with a dry down that makes Ca way more available. If you go 0.8 you are going to run out of food way before water

2) when I roll into daily feed I stay with 2.4

3) in early veg I use lower P by replacing it with either sulfate or silicate. But this is a minor one and you won’t see a big diff

I realize 2.4 might make you think I am an idiot. But unlike bottle nutes you have the balance to pull it off. I would urge at least 1.8

Interesting!

jidoka

20160814 143455

6 inch regular ol nursery pot. Fed mostly 2.4 since day 1 in this pot. I tried cutting feed back but stems started getting hollow and petioles red...so back up it went

This one also has very low P. P=Mg=0.2 Ca. An experiment based on fluence bioengineering research that says 24 ppm P is enough. I couldn’t go less than 40 but it is working for me. That is a real OG looking too stout.

GSW...you could use a shade cloth with the DE. Get some real light diffusion and keep temp up. You want that dry down to happen in 5-7 days. Move some air to control how fast it happens

jidoka

So what the hell...this is the base formula that can work start to finish. It is the base I experiment from.

CaNO3......,.3 grams/gal
MKP. 1.64
Epsom. 1.2
+ some micros, but I ain’t sharing that yet

If I remember right...123N - 98P - 123 K -150 Ca - 30 Mg -40 S

Obviously that is not 2.4 but scale up

P is the one I play with now. Is it worth giving up P for silicate or sulfate. Do you want higher P (this one is a fun rabbit hole)

Anyways merry Xmas

Plus if Avenger is watching he has an amazing rule of thumb about transpiration. Not mine to give up but he might, or not

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Love to see the active analysis growing with that little P.

View attachment 480636

6 inch regular ol nursery pot. Fed mostly 2.4 since day 1 in this pot. I tried cutting feed back but stems started getting hollow and petioles red...so back up it went

This one also has very low P. P=Mg=0.2 Ca. An experiment based on fluence bioengineering research that says 24 ppm P is enough. I couldn’t go less than 40 but it is working for me. That is a real OG looking too stout.

GSW...you could use a shade cloth with the DE. Get some real light diffusion and keep temp up. You want that dry down to happen in 5-7 days. Move some air to control how fast it happens

jidoka

It is a weird thing. It takes 85% Ca in soil to hit proper numbers. In hydro/Coco it takes 6/5 Ca/ N&K. The Ca from CaNO3 is that much more soluble than lime and gypsum

Is mkp the same? Fuck if I know

But I do know these things stink already. I cut clones tomorrow so lots of leaf.

Edit and btw I do not have a single client trying this. My best (yield) grows all have P = K or higher. But if I don’t need that I suspect I can improve quality

Got any tips? I am curious my own self. Don’t mention the lab...I know

jidoka

Wait...the actives? Terps and cannaboids...yea I ain’t there just yet. But that is where I am headed

DOH

GSWCali

Ahh very interesting Jidoka! With the shade cloth I will be able to keep the watts fairly high while not frying the seedlings and early growth and keep the temps up.

I appreciate the base numbers, I will give those a go in the near future when I get everything set up and go from there. Thank you so much for the tips!

Would anyone happen to know the molar mass of Yara's Calcium nitrate? I've tried to look it up but I've come across a couple different formulas. The one that resembles the closest to the 19% Ca and 15.5% N is 5Ca (NO3)2·NH4NO3·10H2O which is 1080.71g/mol and the other is just Ca(NO3)2 which is ~164g/mol. But I think Yara's is actually CAN?

Happy holidays everyone!

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
So what the hell...this is the base formula that can work start to finish. It is the base I experiment from.

CaNO3......,.3 grams/gal

Just to be clear, I assume the comma is not an error and it's .3 grams/gallon?

Brian had my mix at 3 grams/gallon but maybe that's based on my water?

Latest posts

Latest posts