What's new

The Living Soil

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nomenclature from the edified jaykush repository;

"you can only work on the same thing for so long. after all is only compost, water and sugar."

Brilliant! Why did I not realize this so many years ago. Oh thank you wise one, for opening my eyes.

Salutations,
Tim

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh god stop picking at stupid little quotes. and start defending your techniques.

MrFista

Veteran
I would like to kindly request you guys stop it.

Reasons.

1. I am the primadonna here, if anyone's to have a hissy fit, it's me! (that sounds so dodgy considering the unfortunate nickname I chose lol)

2. You are wasting energy on pointless circular reasoning, and the planet has an energy crisis - so stop it!

3. EVeryone is valid! Jaykush you are a legend and you have helped open my and my peers eyes a great deal, we are all grateful for the organic knowledge you have so willingly shared. Tim you have opened my eyes to how easy it is for a layman like me to take it to the next level.

4. I, and many others, would like to get back to discussing the living soil.

And 5. Life's too short for this crap.

I'll start - Organick. I apologise for how rude my reply was to you. I was annoyed at the pm and post combo, I'm over it, let's move on and learn about gardening.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks fista, i knew long ago this was pointless.

"2. You are wasting energy on pointless circular reasoning... so stop it!"

this goes back to my post "i hate arguing its pointless"

theres more than one right way to grow with organics, possibly hundreds of different ways to meet the same ends.

im always open for new ideas, most know here that im down to try just about anything for the cause. failure or not.

4. I, and many others, would like to get back to discussing the living soil.

And 5. Life's too short for this crap.

sounds good to me :)

sophisto

The last two posts are the most devoid of ego since the first post that started this thread...Great thread went ego.....Lets bringer back nah..

We are here to learn from eachother.

I am still advocating that some of the people here with scopes try the non-scoped recipes in this forum here... My speculation is that the teas alot of us use without "scoping" them out are probably not too far off from what you are wanting to see under the scope before you call it a good ACT.....They may even be better???? Who knows I am only speculating...I welcome being wrong.

If I am off then clearly those that have scopes are superior as are their teas...If I am on, this would prove that nothing is needed other than good compost, air, and good food sources to feed and multiply the micro kiddies...

Simple way to get to the bottom of this......Isnt it????

The results could be posted here and up for all to see....Black and White..

Last edited:

MrFista

Veteran
I would love it if someone with a scope would test -

A tea made with stream water - vs - dechlorinated tap water

I would also like to see tapwater vs rainwater

And streamwater vs rainwater

Was watching a permaculture vid on youtube last night and they were touting the merits of the fertility of marshland. They showed some of the soil beside where the water level had dropped a bit - looks like my compost after it's had a bit of a sit with some charcoal in it, and that is REALLY GOOD.

This appears to be another good place to collect biology from, the friable soil and lush vegetation beside ponds and marshes.

I need to get off my ass and buy a scope instead of having to schlep across town and beg my friend for the use of his. Thing is I want to see so many things my budget doesn't nearly cover my dreams of identifying and isolating/culturing metabolites, enzymes and growth stimulants from plants and fungi.

I'm sure azolla and duckweed are well worth investigating. In the right conditions they can double their biomass in 3 days. At first I was sceptical concerning their aquatic origin, only for a second though, as seaweed is used for growth stimulants and it's not terrestrial either.

Willow I think can be helped to promote root growth, and resistance to damping diseases.

Hmm, I just realised I've listed 3 marsh plants hehe. Small world.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And streamwater vs rainwater

each stream will have different microlife, depending on native plants near the stream/river, how much organic matter is in the water(leaves, sticks, logs,etc) and what kind, how fast its flowing, how much agitation it gets( waterfalls), and where its at as well as elevation, even how many fish can contribute. i collect from 5-10 different streams/waterfalls and i notice a diversity of plants species all in prime health. one time i came across this nettle patch(leaves the size of dinner plates), everything above stream was so so, brown and doin kinda shitty. below the nettle patch everything was so green, lush, healthy, bushy. one of my fav spots to collect.