What's new

The Living Soil

C

CT Guy

Just thought I'd post this in the organic soil section to get some feedback. I want to expand on this concept too, where do you think I should go from here as a 2nd article on the subject.

Thanks,
Tad

THE LIVING SOIL

Did you know that in one teaspoon of living soil there are 100 million to 1 billion bacteria,1 mile to 40 miles of fungal hyphae, and 1,000-100,000 protozoa? These organisms provide a variety of benefits for the plant. The bacteria eat the exudates (simple sugars, carbons, carbohydrates) that the plant puts out through its roots, who are then eaten by the protozoa, and what it excreted by the protozoa is plant available nutrients. Beneficial fungi protect the plant from pathogens and harmful microbes, as well as creating pathways in the soil that bring water and nutrients back to the plant from larger distances. Bacteria and fungi work together in decomposing organic material and making the nutrients plant available. This is a sustainable process that allows for the growth of healthy plants, without the need for fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals. After all, there’s no one out there putting Miracle Gro on our rainforests, yet a look at successful plants are at growing in these microbially-rich environments.

So what went wrong? Why can’t the plants in your backyard grow in the same manner? The answer is simple. The biology necessary to cycle nutrients to the plant and protect it are no longer present or not present in adequate numbers. So where did they go? Well, they were killed off by chemical fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, over tilling and compaction.

Chemical fertilizers and other ~cides contain salts. Remember back to high school science where you learned about the process of osmosis? It’s the movement of water through a cell membrane from a solution of low solute concentration to a solution with high solute concentration. So where is the water in the soil located? It’s locked up in the cells of these microbes. When salts in the form of chemical inputs are added to the soil, the water is drawn out of the microbes and they are either killed or go into a dormant state. Now the plant is dependent on you to provide all of its food and protection. That’s why you have to fertilize on a regular basis.

In addition to damaging the biology in the soils, these chemicals are having other impacts of much greater consequence. Nitrates from fertilizers are leaching into our water system, and pesticide exposure has been linked to a variety of diseases such as cancer. There’s a reason that lawn companies recommend keeping children and pets off of lawns after they’ve been sprayed, these chemicals are highly toxic!

So what’s an alternative? This is a shift from our current N-P-K paradigm towards an organic way of gardening by feeding the microbes in the soil and letting them do the work for us. Our ancient ancestors gardened in this manner long before we knew what bacteria was. Fertilizer was in the form of manures, which was decomposed by the microbes and provided all the nutrients the plant needed.

Using present day technology, we are now able to add these organisms back to our soils and feed them through a variety of organic inputs. The three best things you can do for your soil is to topdress with compost, mulches, and compost tea. Since many of you probably already know about the benefits of compost and mulch, I’d like to focus a bit more on compost tea.

When I say compost tea, I’m referring to actively aerated compost tea or AACT for short. This distinction is important because there is a big difference between throwing some compost or manure in a bucket letting it sit for a couple of weeks, and AACT.

AACT is an aerobic water solution that has extracted the microbe population from compost along with its nutrients. The concept behind compost tea is quite simple, though the actual process become scientific and has many variables that need to be accounted for. The idea is that compost (full of beneficial microorganisms) is put into water and then nutrients or foods for the microorganisms are added to allow the bacteria, and protozoa to multiply rapidly and the fungi to grow. Air is sent through the water to keep the dissolved oxygen levels above 6 mg/liter, as this selects for the aerobic microorganisms, which are the ones found to be most beneficial. At the end of the brewing cycle, what you have is a concentrated liquid full of billions of microorganisms that can be sprayed directly onto the leaf surface. This puts the “good” biology where the plant needs it to protect itself. It keeps the plant healthier and helps to fight off potential diseases. The “good” biology occupies the infection sites on the leaf surface and survive there by consuming the exudates that the plant puts out. The “good” biology, then out competes the pathogens for the space on the leaf surface or around the roots. This is how plants protect themselves in nature.

It is possible to make bad AACT. If you don’t start with good compost, don’t add the proper amount of nutrients, or keep the brew sufficiently aerated, you could be selecting for pathogens rather than beneficial and end up with a tea that will have little to no effect on your plant or possibly even do damage.

Along with compost tea it’s important to do applications of other bio-amendments such as soluble seaweed, humic acids, and fish hydrolysate for example. Seaweed serves as a bacterial food substrate and also provides additional benefits for your plants in the form of growth hormones, increased stress resistance, and faster plant response. Humic acids serve as a fungal food and also chelate (bond with) minerals in your soil and make them available to your plant (many minerals in your soils are “locked up” or unavailable to your plant).

When gardening in this manner, it’s important to adjust your application rates or program to fit with the needs of your garden. I’d suggest an initial topdressing of your patch with compost and an application of compost tea, adding soluble seaweed and humic acids to the tea after brewing. Then, another application 2-3 weeks before planting and another one when you plant your starters (adding mycorrhizal fungi into the hole at this time). After that, I’d start a weekly application schedule comprised of both a foliar and soil application for the life of your plant. In the fall, I’d add a mulch to your patch, followed by an application of compost tea (to speed up decomposition over the winter). Since you have such rapid growth requirements for these plants, I’d suggest an organic fertilizer to supplement the rest of your program.

These application rates are much higher than what I typically recommend to homeowners or gardeners. Once an organic program has been established, typical application rates of AACT, humic acids, and seaweed are only 3-5 times per year.

In this manner, you can improve your soil, protect our water supply and environment, and grow healthy plants! If you have any questions or want to learn more about this subject, go to www.simplici-tea.com, www.soilfoodweb.com, or pick up a copy of Jeff Lowenfels book, “Teaming with Microbes.”

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Tad,

Nice little write up. I have copied the following from it;

"Along with compost tea it’s important to do applications of other bio-amendments such as soluble seaweed, humic acids, and fish hydrolysate for example. Seaweed serves as a bacterial food substrate and also provides additional benefits for your plants in the form of growth hormones, increased stress resistance, and faster plant response. Humic acids serve as a fungal food and also chelate (bond with) minerals in your soil and make them available to your plant (many minerals in your soils are “locked up” or unavailable to your plant)."

"Since you have such rapid growth requirements for these plants, I’d suggest an organic fertilizer to supplement the rest of your program."

These statements imply that plants are capable of assimilating organic nutrients, minerals or hormones unassisted by microbes. Is that your intended meaning? Have you read some studies or articles which demonstrate this? I am very dubious about this possibility but eager to learn.

To add a little word concerning the numbers you listed for microbial life in the soil, I just wish to make the point that sometimes in healthy soil these numbers can be much lower or even much higher. Healthy soil microbes have cycles, similar to what we see in ACT but not so exagerated. This is particularly notable of protozoan activity. Often protozoa remain in a dormant state until 'awoken' by bacterial population expansion, moisture or other environmental factors. There are also pockets of soil which are more microbially active than a pocket 12 inches away. I mention this so folks won't be dissapointed if they examine their soil under a microscope and don't see the numbers you mentioned. I have copied the following excerpt from chapter 6 of Modern Soil Microbiology by Marianne Clarholm, Michael Bonkowski,
and Bryan Griffiths

"6.5.1 THE SAMPLING
Depending on the aim of the study, various methods can be used to study
protozoa in soil. All available evidence so far points at an uneven distribution of
protozoa in space but also in time, with quickly vanishing “hot spots” of activity
and long periods of inactivity as resting cysts. An adequate choice of sampling
strategy is therefore crucial to any investigation, and will be strongly dependent
on its aim."

Salutations,
Tim

Last edited:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good read, you dont think quality compost has enough humic acids in it already? i think buying it is pointless. then again i think buying anything for organics is pointless

i thaught u said compost tea didnt contain nutrients too lol. just messin with ya.

might want to copy paste this into the ofc. this is the type of stuff we usually throw in there.

MrFista

Veteran
Speaking from an ex journos point of view I would offer some constructive critique...

Dumb it down a little. Too much industry jargon. I get it, a lot of people wont. Depends on your intended audience though...

Lots of info - no real hands on how to - could add a basic tea recipe. Or even better for a magazine - promise several recipes in part 2.

The hook - there isn't one. You go straight into numbers and details - this losing a lot of readers immediately. A hook is a catchy first sentence, something to sell the article...

Increased yield, ease of use, disease resistance....

Article 2 I'd (as a reader) want recipes, a plan from soil prep to mulches, compost amounts per m2, tea amounts and dilutions, equipment needed...

And the best seller of all - an example garden that kicks ass. It doesn't have to be weed to get the point across. Better yet a side by side study with pictures of results.

To draw the crowd you got to sell the crowd. Without trying to sell stuff :bashhead:

Apparently the tolerance for sales people is a lot higher in USA - the minute you mention anything like 'and we have these for sale' here... your entire article is invalidated. Something to be wary of if you want to talk brewers etc in any articles.

Editors want to know

Who
What
Where
Why
When
How

Obviously some articles don't need all of the above.

Bit of grammatical stuff. I can edit articles and paste back in here easy enough if you like. Thought you'd want to read feedback and consider any possible adjustments first.

Hope that helped rather than annoyed you :rasta: I appreciate your time spent here and will gladly return time to assist you.

organick

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.

Dumb it Down. :angrymod: Please ct and micro, thank-you.
Edit:peace out.

Last edited:
C

CT Guy

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to go do some research to answer Tim's questions in a bit more detail. Some of the information regarding humates I recollected from a lecture at a hydroponics convention. I'll need to find some info. as to the actual process of mineral uptake in relation to humates.

Mr. Fista- I really was trying to "dumb it down" in a sense. I had meant to take out the link at the bottom, I spaced when I cut and pasted. Originally I had written this for giant pumpkin growers, and then tweaked it a bit for you guys.

In regards to homemade recipes and brewers, I didn't list these mostly because it's hard to do successfully if you don't have a microscope and want to make sure you're getting good results. If you want to experiment on your plants and are willing to chance that your tea is less than good, then by all means I can list what I think may be good recipes or a good brewer design. It's not as simple as a 5 gallon bucket, an aquarium pump, some molasses, and compost from your compost pile. On the other hand, if you can control the variables, it's not all that difficult either. Maybe that would be a good topic for another article.

As far as increased yield, disease resistance, and other benefits, these are all things that I believe you would see with an organic program, provided the proper beneficial biology is in place in the soil.

In regards to selling stuff, I realize that this forum is all about doing it yourself and I hope that my article will help in that regard. I don't want to use this forum as a way promoting any particular product, but rather the technology itself. I know many people here have had wonderful success with a variety of recipes and brewers. What I would like to do is expand on that and figure out what the key variables are in growing these particular plants and determine the science involved, rather than relying on hunches or tradition.

Thanks!

C

CT Guy

Oh, and if you have a good idea for a catchy first sentence, I'm all ears. I was an English major, but I tried to use a more conversational tone to my writing, rather than following any grammatical rules. If you see mistakes though or have comments on the content, I welcome additional feedback!

organick

I disagree with everything Mr. Fista. wrote, strongly. There is enough inane drivel on the net as it is (just look at my posts, some of them anyway).

I have no suggestions for CT or Micro because when I read their posts: First I think “wow great info.” then I want to increase biowealth (plants, compost, plant quality of life, garden richness). Doing a great job guys, keep it up. Nice diplomacy too.

No hands on? Read the threads of CT and Micro scattered throughout this forum
The hook? It is soooo refreshing to read something without a “hook” for a change. Information is it’s own ‘hook’.

I see Ct and Micro needing little assistance from someone who suggests an intelligent person “dumb down”.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In regards to homemade recipes and brewers, I didn't list these mostly because it's hard to do successfully if you don't have a microscope and want to make sure you're getting good results.

i think thats complete bull%&*# too hard my ass, LONG before you have been here we have been brewing compost teas without a microscope. and have had EXCELLENT results even with the amount of experimentation we do with our ingredients (we have added things that will make your head spin). sure you can turn it into a science but cmon its just making compost tea. a microscope helps confirm. but i know theres beneficials in my tea.

C

CT Guy

jaykush,

I think I'm not explaining myself successfully here. I don't doubt that there's beneficials in your tea, provided you use good compost, have good aeration, and don't add too many foods. Is it the BEST tea possible and are you maximizing your microbial growth in the tea? That is where the microscope comes in. If you're willing to experiment on your plants with different teas and mixes (keeping in mind that every tea is going to be slightly different anyway, even if you use control the variables) then by all means, go for it! My whole point is that I can't say with confidence that there is one recipe for a brewer and ingredients that I could recommend in an article because there's too many variables to consider. I don't know the biological quality of the compost you're using, or humates, or other ingredients. I'm NOT saying it's bad tea, but rather that I'd like to make the process more known from a scientific standpoint so that we can eliminate unnecessary ingredients or correct any mistakes that will detract from the final tea.

For example, are manure based products such as bat guano truly beneficial to making compost tea? Would they be better applied as a soil amendment or as a separate nutrient application? How much molasses is too much, relative to the amount of dissovled oxygen in the water and other ingredients you're adding?

These are questions that I'd love to have better answers too. I think we can work towards knowing more about the process, as this is a relatively new technology. I love the fact that people here are willing to experiment with their own recipes and brewers. I wish I could talk more of you into getting microscopes so we could share the results and see what the teas look like, rather than just base it on overall plant health.

Hope this better explains my position on the subject!

~Tad

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I'm not explaining myself successfully here. I don't doubt that there's beneficials in your tea, provided you use good compost, have good aeration, and don't add too many foods. Is it the BEST tea possible and are you maximizing your microbial growth in the tea?

i wasent really refering to "my tea" im talking as a whole community. people have been doing this for years and years and some techniques go back hundreds of years even more. its nothing new thats for sure. as well as trial and error and knowing the proves for itself. growers can spot minute differences in growth and overall health. things even veteran agricultural growers wont noticei think i read on here once someone say "any pot grower can grow plants, but not every plant grower can grow pot". i dont doubt that the first time someone brews a "tea" its not going to be the best. in time with trial and error people find what works best for THEM.

? That is where the microscope comes in. If you're willing to experiment on your plants with different teas and mixes (keeping in mind that every tea is going to be slightly different anyway, even if you use control the variables) then by all means, go for it! My whole point is that I can't say with confidence that there is one recipe for a brewer and ingredients that I could recommend in an article because there's too many variables to consider. I don't know the biological quality of the compost you're using, or humates, or other ingredients.

even if 90% of the people here had a microscope( i looked and fuck there expensive definitely cant afford that on spare money) including myself. wouldnt have a fucks clue what there lookin at or how to identify species. with the diversity in my compost it would take years to name them all ive collected local mountain species and added them from dozens of spots. i agree with you though, there is no one way to do this. with organics you have to find what works for you and what you can get locally. one tea brewer isnt the same as the next. but you really cant screw up compsot tea that much you could mention some variables like you cant have too much air, too little air isnt good, make sure its not too cold, etc... and all those have been mentioned numerous times here to help others do it successfully.
i dont buy products, i think its stupid. im the last person youll ever catch buying some catchy gimmick to grow a plant. everything needed can be made by yourself for free or cheap as hell.

I'm NOT saying it's bad tea, but rather that I'd like to make the process more known from a scientific standpoint so that we can eliminate unnecessary ingredients or correct any mistakes that will detract from the final tea.

were stoners, not scientist and it will always be that way. stoners think differently than normal people. every ingredient has a purpose even if its not directly related to the plant. you have been studying compost teas by way of science, we have been doing the exact opposite, hands on trial and error.

as for guano teas, thats not compost tea so a whole different debate. im just trying to establish that you don't need to know why it works for it to work properly. it helps but its not needed.

building a healthy soil is a far better way of doing things than adding compost teas. compost mixed in soil is 10x better than teas. you just cant cover as much area.

MrFista

Veteran
Organick - What's your problem?

"It's so refreshing to read something without a hook"

I sell 100% of the articles I write. Strongly disagree with everything I say huh? Well, we should all do what you say, your contribution in this thread is outstanding.

Dumbing down, correctly done, gives the same message in language a non professional will understand.

Here's the above post dumbed down for you Organick. It's what I'm saying in laymans terms...

Sod off.

Tad - English Major - nice. Then you understand everything I said. The flow will come with practise it's difficult going from full time working with microbiology and all the terminology then switching to plainspeak. But it does come. I confused the crap out of all my buddies with what I'm into then my brother made me learn to explain things in one minute or less in language he understood.

As Jaykush mentioned - people don't need to know how it works - just that it works.

ie: Osmoregulation is part of the nutritional cycle.
Plainspeak - Fish take in some nutrients through the gills.

Dumbing down is not talking down to, though with some company present it's tempting.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jaykush said:
i wasent really refering to "my tea" im talking as a whole community. people have been doing this for years and years and some techniques go back hundreds of years even more. its nothing new thats for sure. as well as trial and error and knowing the proves for itself. growers can spot minute differences in growth and overall health. things even veteran agricultural growers wont noticei think i read on here once someone say "any pot grower can grow plants, but not every plant grower can grow pot". i dont doubt that the first time someone brews a "tea" its not going to be the best. in time with trial and error people find what works best for THEM.

even if 90% of the people here had a microscope( i looked and fuck there expensive definitely cant afford that on spare money) including myself. wouldnt have a fucks clue what there lookin at or how to identify species. with the diversity in my compost it would take years to name them all ive collected local mountain species and added them from dozens of spots. i agree with you though, there is no one way to do this. with organics you have to find what works for you and what you can get locally. one tea brewer isnt the same as the next. but you really cant screw up compsot tea that much you could mention some variables like you cant have too much air, too little air isnt good, make sure its not too cold, etc... and all those have been mentioned numerous times here to help others do it successfully.
i dont buy products, i think its stupid. im the last person youll ever catch buying some catchy gimmick to grow a plant. everything needed can be made by yourself for free or cheap as hell.

were stoners, not scientist and it will always be that way. stoners think differently than normal people. every ingredient has a purpose even if its not directly related to the plant. you have been studying compost teas by way of science, we have been doing the exact opposite, hands on trial and error.

as for guano teas, thats not compost tea so a whole different debate. im just trying to establish that you don't need to know why it works for it to work properly. it helps but its not needed.

building a healthy soil is a far better way of doing things than adding compost teas. compost mixed in soil is 10x better than teas. you just cant cover as much area.

Holy shit Jaykush; "were stoners, not scientist"?!! egads.
Speak strictly for yourself. I've confered with some of the finest scientists in the world and some of them smoke cannabis and you know what? some of them know how to grow it and just maybe some of them developed your favorite strains.

Most pot growers still think they are feeding their plants. Real pros. Many of them trim off the outer bract leaflets which are coated with most of the trichomes, which I'm sure you know contain most of the cannaboids (psycoactive compounds) including THC.

The advantage to a microscope is that you can see when you have the balance of the bacteria, protozoa and fungal hyphae that you want. IT IS NOT TO IDENTIFY SPECIES!!! This could occurr at 24, 36, 48 or... hours. If you brew for too long you may end up with all ciliates which may not be so bad but it may not be fabulous for your plants and soil like it was hours earlier. But like I always say; If it makes you happy and you are not poluting 'do it'.

And yah compost tea has been used for centuries but not even close to how it's being used now.

Careful that you are not cross-transplanting mycorrhizal species with your mountain microbes. This can wipe out whole eco-systems.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Holy shit Jaykush; "were stoners, not scientist"?!! egads.
Speak strictly for yourself. I've confered with some of the finest scientists in the world and some of them smoke cannabis and you know what? some of them know how to grow it and just maybe some of them developed your favorite strains.
]

i wouldnt doubt it one bit. as anyone can smoke, and i know a lot of people who seem like they would never in there lives yet they toke. dont get all offensive and uptight i don't like arguing its pointless. well i (and most) dont have the ability talk to many of the "worlds best scientist" or even know who they are (i could care less), and yes im sure they know how to grow it, its a plant after all nothing special. anyone even a child can grow it successfully. it even grows without us as wild hemp. i know they haven't developed some of MY favorite strains, mother nature did there what we call landrace strains. strains adapted to local climates around the world, bringing special traits out. oh and of course the ones i made myself :joint:

Most pot growers still think they are feeding their plants. Real pros. Many of them trim off the outer bract leaflets which are coated with most of the trichomes, which I'm sure you know contain most of the cannaboids (psycoactive compounds) including THC.

real pros? who do you think your talking to. were pot growers. i agree most at icmag and the world think there feeding the plant but not here in the organic soil forum, were not idiots. thats why most go to the hydro store and pick up a bottle of nutrients for 20$, apply so and so to some water and apply to soil thats it and harvest some smoke. but thats not everyone. yea of course the excess leaf gets trimmed off, you trim those off because the leaf is much harsher smoke than calyx. you extract the trichomes from the trimmed leaves various ways to make hashish or chemical extracted oils ( the hash forum) nothing we dont know.

The advantage to a microscope is that you can see when you have the balance of the bacteria, protozoa and fungal hyphae that you want. IT IS NOT TO IDENTIFY SPECIES!!! This could occurr at 24, 36, 48 or... hours. If you brew for too long you may end up with all ciliates which may not be so bad but it may not be fabulous for your plants and soil like it was hours earlier. But like I always say; If it makes you happy and you are not poluting 'do it'.

of course i said there are advantages to a microscope i already said that. i dont let the tea do the balancing thats the soils job, i provide whats needed( air, water, food) and let the soil and plant do the rest. why not to identify species? there are many species that play important roles and certain species that fight off pathogens, many not even discovered by us yet im sure you know this. spending thousands of dollars just to know i have fungi and bacteria and the proper micro organisms in proper amounts is pointless to most of us. and we know the problems of too long a brew, almost all of us have experienced an anaerobic tea at one time( which shouldnt be applied of course).

And yah compost tea has been used for centuries but not even close to how it's being used now.

Careful that you are not cross-transplanting mycorrhizal species with your mountain microbes. This can wipe out whole eco-systems.

yea compost tea has evolved but the use of compost has been the same.

oh yes i know this, my backyard is mostly dead of microlife from a long period of chemical use and harsh conditions( as like a lot of homes and soil). i only take and bring home to re populate my location once its here its here to stay. i dont mess with nature i just let her help me.

T

toodles

CT Guy and Microbeman

Don't pay any attention to JayKush.

I've been a "stoner" since October, 1966. I had an aborted hydro grow 5-6 weeks into flower in 1988 or 89. Never grew a plant all the way out till last year.

I do have a very technical background and I find your post(s) VERY interesting. JayKush is simply wrong. Some of us "stoners" are/were very technical people and we like this sort of discussion.

Understanding the "science" underlying making teas will ultimately make it much easier for novices like myself to begin brewing "quality" teas if we so choose. Knowing what does and doesn't work well allows people to optimize their teas, fine tune them. Maybe some day have "starter kits" for making teas. If you get people started right, or give them a chance to start right, they will be more likely to succeed.

JayKush:

Your way works for you and many others. That's fine. It's all good as the kids today say.

However, hearing you disparage "science" is kind of nutty. You sound like one of those ignorant Bishops that ridiculed Galileo back in 1608 or whenever :rasta:

Toodles

PS

I actually do have a small, cheap microscope. I went and bought one for like $69.00 at the hobby shop. OBVIOUSLY, it ain't got Zeiss lenses LOL. BUT I can see all sorts of microbes with it ...hyphae, protozoa, the bigger stuff. It's not good enough for bacteria. Peat moss structure was cool too. I'm still playing with it. Trichomes show really well with it.

Last edited:

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Jaykush is not disparaging science, he's saying that what CT and Microbe are talking about is something that not many people can contribute to experience wise (it's a discipline which needs money and a lot of specialized knowledge) but that their methods don't need tons of equipment or knowledge to work well (maybe not perfectly).

Stoners tend to be improvisers, and improvising with these methods can still produce excellent results, although you might not understand why or how they contributed (which is what CT and Microbe are trying to do)..

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jaykush on Jaykush

"any pot grower can grow plants, but not every plant grower can grow pot"

“and yes im sure they know how to grow it, its a plant after all nothing special. anyone even a child can grow it successfully.”

“i don't like arguing its pointless.”

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ixnay007 said:
Jaykush is not disparaging science, he's saying that what CT and Microbe are talking about is something that not many people can contribute to experience wise (it's a discipline which needs money and a lot of specialized knowledge) but that their methods don't need tons of equipment or knowledge to work well (maybe not perfectly).

Stoners tend to be improvisers, and improvising with these methods can still produce excellent results, although you might not understand why or how they contributed (which is what CT and Microbe are trying to do)..

You can choose to use your hands or a shovel. That is all I am talking about concerning the microscope. The use of organic amendments and/or compost tea is based upon the microbial nutrient cycle; bacteria being eaten by protozoa. If you see that you have bacteria (little dots and bars) moving around and protozoa (larger oval critters with hairs and tails or oozing globs) you are good to go.

Toodles has shown us that he has accomplished this ability to observe with an investment of $69.00. Another $40 will get you a DVD which easily teaches you to identify the different microbe groups.

Toodles; If you do not already have the DVD, send me an email through my website, microbeorganics.com, and I'll send you a freebie.

Tad, sorry if I took your thread astray. I should have kept my yap shut.

Salutations,
Tim