What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The LED Company I've Been Waiting For

Just wondering- Why woukd you want to increase Lumen output at the expense of PAR output?

I think they are alluding to just the basic fact that they feel comfortable that PAR isn't dropping with increased lumens and CRI, which is fine, but......I wouldn't use Lumens and CRI as an indicator or anything.
They are photometric measurements which are Biased. The Color quality scale is an improvement of CRI, but CRI lacks qualitative measurement badly.

Just don't use either one if you can. I realize that it is nice to compare to get an idea but ideally even lumens per watt means shit if the spectral frequency is dogshit to begin with aka 660 vs 630 or 460 vs 440 etc etc etc

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wassup

Good to see you here

IC was my first emag/forum

Done lots of threads/journals here

No idea how long they will be down

Com y my other thread

This one is in quite mode until I get lights from BML

FYI peeps, CM did an amazing grow using only CREE household globes. Best I've seen

Hey Pet, it's captainmorgan.Do you hang here much? Any word on how long RIU will be down?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know

The site is not what it once was

Don't know where all the LED peeps went

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
CMHs are rockin it fo sho

but wait till you see what multiple ~ 30w CW/NW/WW LED Cobs are doin

Search LED CREE 3070 xml (I think)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was on IC that I cut my teeth learning about LEDs. I got the following 411 (date: 5/12), which you have seen me c/p many times

Alas, he and virtually all the others vanished
not long thereafter. In fact, this contributor never posted again, but he said it all so clearly to my ignorant ass (I had already bought a R/B ufo 90 POS) that I began my WHITE crusade

As one can see, the CREE Neutral White (I call it 'Goldilocks', because it's almost 'just right'
wink.gif
) has a RSPD that still allows nearly ~25% of its total power in the blue range (and plants only really 'need' ~8-10%), and more that 1/3 of which (i.e. the area under the curve) is over ~580nm or so (which has a Photosynthetic RS of over 90%!) - which is much better than even your typical 'Enhanced HPS'.

Couple that with strong white light (green-response chlorophyll extending throughout and deep into leaf structures, with a net effect at or near that of the (mostly) surface-level blue and reds), which also takes care of most of the ~660nm+ you actually need for photomorphogenesis - and you can get by with 630nm reds just fine.

(i.e. 630nm red is ~95% of the PSR of 660nm, AND they currently still have ~20-30% greater radiometric efficiency - as well as being cheaper than the deep reds - so there's more 'bang for the buck'):

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Knowing the AMAZING result you had with CREE A19s, I would love to see you do the LED COBs, and do a thread here on IC.

I think it might kick start interest

Here's a DIY that looks awesome, though I would have moved the drivers outboard. Scroll ~ half way down, past the tutorial . Don't know when he posted, but he has not updated.

Don't bother to sign up. Biggest bunch of stupid stoners I've some across to date

http://howtogrowmarijuana.com/DIY-LED-grow-light

I'm looking to upgrade my large cabinet and can't decide if I want to go CMH or a CXA3070 30H Z4 build.

bevo

heres a plant view of the grow-max spectrum from bml

80% red 20% blue/white, just told him to do it to see what he would come up with

Attachments

• light 026.jpg
    light 026.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 10

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
PAR peaks have been misinterpreted by most LED grow light designers/manufacturers. While that will work for flower, what about veg?

When CW/NW (depending on their spectral symbiosis) and WW are combined, the end result provides all the spectrums (and in close enough ratios) mj needs to produce an outstanding product,
PLUS, whites being uniform are more stable, and will last a lot longer

Individual red diodes tend to lose intensity and output much sooner than whites. The current issue of LED Magazine compared a new reddish chip v same chip after just 5000 hour. The color was unrecognizable to the new one!

80% red 20% blue/white, just told him to do it to see what he would come up with

Thank you Bevo, I appreciate you sharing this photo, as it is impossible to get this perspective from BML's webpage, much appreciated!

bevo

thats the grow-max spydr. i also have a start-max spydr on the way for a separate veg room. i chose to spend the money to try and maximize both veg and flower stage

Nice choice, I see you did your homework. Having said that, its fantastic to see someone who can use this specifically with our favorite plant, and can report back on the growth results you experience with these 2 fixtures.

What were you using for light prior to using the Spyder's? For my comparison

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If BML provided an o/o switch on each rail then one Spyder would be fine for both veg and flower

thats the grow-max spydr. i also have a start-max spydr on the way for a separate veg room. i chose to spend the money to try and maximize both veg and flower stage

Latest posts

Latest posts