What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I question and criticize any commercial or medical provider, just as I am open to the same, I try to keep it cordial or at least measured.

I personally believe in socialized medicine and health care, I also believe in cannabis freedom. I will pursue the means to achieve what I believe is right in these matters. I will condemn those who I perceive as working against those beliefs and goals. Med-man just happens to be the top post of the day and is here to discuss such matters, I've always treated others the same here or at other sites, publicly and privately. The questions I and others have posed are simple enough, yet they are ignored and dodged because the answers are not in line with what is obviously right or just. The dude seems to care that his brand is successful more than providing patients with affordable medicine, or how many awards and accolades he can add to his resume. This is not correct and should not be encouraged, its actually fucking shameful its not just un-Canadian its not in line with kind of humanity period. He cannot defend his position nor could anyone of these corporate clowns. The resources and potential that these people have available to them is astounding and yet they choose to act in a way that puts money and power above the basic medical needs of their neighbors, peers and family, its pathetic.

I don't see what's the big deal with people making money with cannabis or creating brands to sell it? Growers/dealers have been making money off cannabis long before it was considered a "medicine" Its like any item on this planet, if there's a market to make money off it people will do it.

Now I do hate the way the gov has gone about dealing with cannabis in a hypocritical way and I criticize it when I can along with the LP's as I see it as a dead business model with the current set up in Canada.

Seems kinda strange to come on here criticize someone for building a brand while building your own brand. Non profit or not you're still making money and with out the brand no one will know it exists.

blastfrompast

Veteran
I like seeing $1-3 med prices advertised even if production isn't in place....no fine print either please..

Like only 1g per day at compassionate pricing.....what a total crock this was....

I don't need the price break, but there are real patients out there who do...those patients who can't afford 8-10 a gram and still eat.

Pangea

Veteran
I don't see what's the big deal with people making money with cannabis or creating brands to sell it? Growers/dealers have been making money off cannabis long before it was considered a "medicine" Its like any item on this planet, if there's a market to make money off it people will do it.

Now I do hate the way the gov has gone about dealing with cannabis in a hypocritical way and I criticize it when I can along with the LP's as I see it as a dead business model with the current set up in Canada.

Seems kinda strange to come on here criticize someone for building a brand while building your own brand. Non profit or not you're still making money and with out the brand no one will know it exists.

The deal is right now it is cannabis AS MEDICINE, just because there is the potential to make a profit and capitalize on a product does not mean it should be done in such a manner.

I do not see how my name is a brand or how not making any profit is the same as making profit?

You do not have to agree with me, many do not, that is fine.

The deal is right now it is cannabis AS MEDICINE, just because there is the potential to make a profit and capitalize on a product does not mean it should be done in such a manner.

I do not see how my name is a brand or how not making any profit is the same as making profit?

You do not have to agree with me, many do not, that is fine.

You're name might not be a brand but you are representing one and trying to build it up while going off another one in the same industry.

As for profit vs non profit, well one gets dividends at the end of the year while the other needs to invest the profit back into operations but still doesn't change the fact that the people running it are taking in salaries and making profit. So still for profit as any other business.

Its a public forum and you're more then welcome to make your bed on here and sleep in it.

Pangea

Veteran
You understanding or the representation you espouse of the topics is simplistic and incorrect.

A salary is not profit, a non profit is not the same as a corporation.

What brand am I representing and trying to building up? I am a farmer whom is producing and providing a product, my reputation and name are not associated with a brand. I grow produce for patients and provide it direct at cost, that's my only prerogative.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Hello med-man,
Do you know how many medical users are legal in Canada to buy your medical Cannabis and medical seeds? I heard it was only around 50,000 patients?
It seems that Canada only has a total population of 35,344,962 less then California, and the total numbers for medical Cannabis sales can't be so big, compared to in the USA states like California 37.5 million, Colorado 5.5 million, Washington 7 million, and lots of others.... Also it is a lot easier in California to get "medical Cannabis" for most people, thousands of dispenseries, easy to get prescriptions.
Holland is only 16.8 million, Uruguay 3.5 Million, so the total for Canada, Holland and Uruguay is only 55.7 million and that is for medical sales only, for 53.2 million of the 55.7 million, while in Washington and Colorado 12.5 million have recreational sales open to everyone old enough. And in California they have the biggest dispensery in the world, Harborside with more then 100,000 signed up patients to just this dispensery in Oakland and San Jose. And medical Cannabis is legal for almost half of Americas 320 million citizens now.
"Bedrocan (Canada), based in Toronto, Ontario and governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario, is in the business of importing and supplying medical marijuana pursuant to the Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations. Bedrocan holds a license to sell medical marijuana from Health Canada."
They are coming to Canada to compete with you, maybe because they can't sell much medical Cannabis in Holland, their sales have fallen year after year for 10 years as patients prefer the choice of varieties available in coffeeshops, as well as it is cheaper in coffeeshops. There are only about 1,000 people that still buy Cannabis in Holland via prescription Cannabis, all the rest buy it at coffee shops. More then 10,000 were buying before Bedrocan took over the Medical trade in 2005, it has gone down each year.
The market here is funny in that you can grow to suppy medical users via the pharmacys with a Government license and an approved Cannabis variety and production methodology, but you can not grow legally to supply the coffeeshops, it is all illegally grown and illegally supplied to the coffee shops. So legally you could compete for the 1,000 medical Marijuana patients, but legally you can not compete for the 1 billion dollar recreational market. Unless you want to buy an exsisting coffee shop to grow illegally and supply with Cannabis illegally.
Also remember that in the Netherlands next Jan 1 2015 all Cannabis products over 15 % THC will be illegal for Coffeeshops, the shops will be all tested for all products 4 times a year. I do not know what that will mean for Bedrocan's "Floss Bedrocan variety" which is 22% THC. Their other 3 varieties are under the 15% THC limit.
I suspect your goals of being the biggest as well as the cheapest and best will not be easy to meet, but someone has to be on top.
Like in the seeds Biz, the Greenhouse is the biggest with over 20 million seeds sold a year, Seni Seeds is next with around 10+ million seeds sold a year. That does not mean they are the best seeds, but yes the biggest, you will have a lot of seeds to make and sell to pass them up! 20 million seeds is 400 kilos a year, can you make that many a year? Can you sell that many a year? Good luck.
Anyway, as we both know being the biggest is not being the best, the Greenhouse and Bedrocan and Flin Flon showed that pretty clearly...
I would first focus on being the best quality and cheapest, until that happens likely the biggest will not be in reach.
My attitude is basically the more Cannabis the better, although I do believe in climate change and doing what we can to prevent CO2 bulid up. Growing Cannabis under lights is an artifact of the past, when Cannabis was illegal. Greenhouses will be the future, maybe with lights just when needed to subliment the natural light up in Canada. Maybe soon if the global warm up continues you won't even need greenhouses in Canada, maybe it won't even snow anymore? I have no idea what will be, but it obvious we are doing a poor job of stewardship of the planets air, oceans, and animals as well as resources, I just hope my grand children can enjoy the same sights I have seen, I have my doubt's. When China and India's populations are all living like the average middle class American or Canadian, what do you think that will do to the worlds resources? They will be all gone. It will happen. If not tomorrow, it will happen sooner then we want.

In the near future a very small percentage of Cannabis will be grown indoors under lights, it will be remembered as quaint, something like bathtub gin during prohibition, done to avoid detection, not to produce the best or cheapest high quality products. My 2 cent.....

-SamS

Last edited:

leaffan

Wow, what an interesting post Sam.
Bedrocan also has a licence monopoly in Holland after their competitor lost their licence for pesticide infractions. I believe the prescriptions in Holland are covered by insurance too, if that is correct it is amazing that the patient numbers are so low.
There was a study done on Holland's licensed marijuana vs 10 coffee shops' marijuana that I read awhile back that was very interesting. It studied price, potency, accuracy, cleanliness. I will try and dig it up.

The current patient number in Canada is under 50k, projected to increase to over 400k in 10 years per HC. The lack of dispensaries in Canada is somewhat replaced by "compassion clubs".

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The reasons MariPharm lost their ability had nothing to do with pesticides it was Dutch politics.
Most insurance companies in Holland do not pay for Medical Cannabis prescriptions.
I have the study, it showed a lot of pesticides and mold on Coffee shop Cannabis. Post it for others if you like. Prices are higher for Bedrocan Cannabis, by as much as 100%, The Dutch are cheap and will not pay more for something they can get cheaper at a coffee shop.
-SamS

Wow, what an interesting post Sam.
Bedrocan also has a licence monopoly in Holland after their competitor lost their licence for pesticide infractions. I believe the prescriptions in Holland are covered by insurance too, if that is correct it is amazing that the patient numbers are so low.
There was a study done on Holland's licensed marijuana vs 10 coffee shops' marijuana that I read awhile back that was very interesting. It studied price, potency, accuracy, cleanliness. I will try and dig it up.

The current patient number in Canada is under 50k, projected to increase to over 400k in 10 years per HC. The lack of dispensaries in Canada is somewhat replaced by "compassion clubs".

Buddha1

Veteran

I beg to differ with this statement...Growers/dealers have been making money off cannabis long before it was considered a "medicine"...Cannabis was used for medicinal reasons for hundred of years, if not thousands of years, before it became the party drug of the 50's and 60's. There were many medicines that had Cannabis in them, until it was outlawed in the early 1900's.

Example:Queen Victoria used Cannabis tinctures for menstrual cramps.

Read the quickie History article on the Cannabis plant below.

Peace...B

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/1632726.stm

BBC News
History of Cannabis

The use of cannabis is believed to stretch back 4,000 years.

The compound which gives cannabis its mood-altering properties is known as THC.

Cannabis has been used as a medicine for thousands of years all over the world including India, China and the Middle East.

In China, it was used to treat conditions such as malaria, constipation and rheumatism.

But it was not until the middle of the nineteenth century that doctors in the west began to take an interest.

Syringe

Queen Victoria
Queen Victoria was prescribed cannabis
Even Queen Victoria was given it by her doctor to relieve period pain and in the United States it could be bought freely in shops.

It was the invention of the syringe towards the end of the 19th century that marked an end to its widespread medicinal use.

Injecting drugs meant they could take effect a lot faster. Cannabis cannot be dissolved in water, so therefore cannot be injected.

The arrival of other drugs, such as aspirin, also contributed to the reduction in the drug's use.

Cannabis was made illegal in the UK in 1928. It followed an international drugs conference in Geneva when an Egyptian delegate convinced everybody that it was a threat to society and as dangerous as opium.

Recreational

That did not stop the recreational use of cannabis which began in earnest during the fifties when migrants from the Caribbean arrived in the UK.

White jazz musicians playing in clubs in Soho in London were among the first to use it. And the first ever drugs bust was in 1952 at the Number 11 Club in Soho.

During the flower power years of the sixties it soared in popularity.

Revellers at a pop festival during the sixties
Revellers at a pop festival during the sixties
In 1968, the Wootton Report, a Home Office investigation into the effects of cannabis concluded: "There is no evidence that this activity is causing violent crime or aggression, anti-social behaviour, or is producing in otherwise normal people conditions of dependence or psychosis requiring medical treatment."

More than thirty years after the Wootton Report, it is still illegal to grow, produce, possess or supply the drug to another person.

But that all-encompassing ban may soon be relaxed after the Home Secretary, David Blunkett, recently announced that he may allow it for medicinal use if current trials of the drug are successful.

You understanding or the representation you espouse of the topics is simplistic and incorrect.

A salary is not profit, a non profit is not the same as a corporation.

What brand am I representing and trying to building up? I am a farmer whom is producing and providing a product, my reputation and name are not associated with a brand. I grow produce for patients and provide it direct at cost, that's my only prerogative.

You're making it too complicated.

Just because the not for profit corporation has to invest all of its left over profit into the company doesn't make it automagically non profit as all involved are making money aka profit. Income by any other name is still profit.

As for the brand http://www.mclcannabis.com seems is what you are involved in and promoting. How can you say that's not a brand or a brand that you are building up?

Just so you know I could care less about med man or you or any other LP and just find the incoming on the intertubes LP vs LP squabbles funny.

leaffan

Thanks Sam. I know I read that MariPharm lost their licence due to a pesticide violation, but I also know you can't believe everything you read. You are more versed in this field than myself, and I thank you for the clarifications.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello med-man,
Do you know how many medical users are legal in Canada to buy your medical Cannabis and medical seeds? I heard it was only around 50,000 patients?
It seems that Canada only has a total population of 35,344,962 less then California, and the total numbers for medical Cannabis sales can't be so big, compared to in the USA states like California 37.5 million, Colorado 5.5 million, Washington 7 million, and lots of others.... Also it is a lot easier in California to get "medical Cannabis" for most people, thousands of dispenseries, easy to get prescriptions.
Holland is only 16.8 million, Uruguay 3.5 Million, so the total for Canada, Holland and Uruguay is only 55.7 million and that is for medical sales only, for 53.2 million of the 55.7 million, while in Washington and Colorado 12.5 million have recreational sales open to everyone old enough. And in California they have the biggest dispensery in the world, Harborside with more then 100,000 signed up patients to just this dispensery in Oakland and San Jose. And medical Cannabis is legal for almost half of Americas 320 million citizens now.
"Bedrocan (Canada), based in Toronto, Ontario and governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario, is in the business of importing and supplying medical marijuana pursuant to the Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations. Bedrocan holds a license to sell medical marijuana from Health Canada."
They are coming to Canada to compete with you, maybe because they can't sell much medical Cannabis in Holland, their sales have fallen year after year for 10 years as patients prefer the choice of varieties available in coffeeshops, as well as it is cheaper in coffeeshops. There are only about 1,000 people that still buy Cannabis in Holland via prescription Cannabis, all the rest buy it at coffee shops. More then 10,000 were buying before Bedrocan took over the Medical trade in 2005, it has gone down each year.
The market here is funny in that you can grow to suppy medical users via the pharmacys with a Government license and an approved Cannabis variety and production methodology, but you can not grow legally to supply the coffeeshops, it is all illegally grown and illegally supplied to the coffee shops. So legally you could compete for the 1,000 medical Marijuana patients, but legally you can not compete for the 1 billion dollar recreational market. Unless you want to buy an exsisting coffee shop to grow illegally and supply with Cannabis illegally.
Also remember that in the Netherlands next Jan 1 2015 all Cannabis products over 15 % THC will be illegal for Coffeeshops, the shops will be all tested for all products 4 times a year. I do not know what that will mean for Bedrocan's "Floss Bedrocan variety" which is 22% THC. Their other 3 varieties are under the 15% THC limit.
I suspect your goals of being the biggest as well as the cheapest and best will not be easy to meet, but someone has to be on top.
Like in the seeds Biz, the Greenhouse is the biggest with over 20 million seeds sold a year, Seni Seeds is next with around 10+ million seeds sold a year. That does not mean they are the best seeds, but yes the biggest, you will have a lot of seeds to make and sell to pass them up! 20 million seeds is 400 kilos a year, can you make that many a year? Can you sell that many a year? Good luck.
Anyway, as we both know being the biggest is not being the best, the Greenhouse and Bedrocan and Flin Flon showed that pretty clearly...
I would first focus on being the best quality and cheapest, until that happens likely the biggest will not be in reach.
My attitude is basically the more Cannabis the better, although I do believe in climate change and doing what we can to prevent CO2 bulid up. Growing Cannabis under lights is an artifact of the past, when Cannabis was illegal. Greenhouses will be the future, maybe with lights just when needed to subliment the natural light up in Canada. Maybe soon if the global warm up continues you won't even need greenhouses in Canada, maybe it won't even snow anymore? I have no idea what will be, but it obvious we are doing a poor job of stewardship of the planets air, oceans, and animals as well as resources, I just hope my grand children can enjoy the same sights I have seen, I have my doubt's. When China and India's populations are all living like the average middle class American or Canadian, what do you think that will do to the worlds resources? They will be all gone. It will happen. If not tomorrow, it will happen sooner then we want.

In the near future a very small percentage of Cannabis will be grown indoors under lights, it will be remembered as quaint, something like bathtub gin during prohibition, done to avoid detection, not to produce the best or cheapest high quality products. My 2 cent.....

-SamS

hey sam

thanks for sharing your advice.

you also said ammcan was owned by pps which is totally untrue respectfully.

personally i am very interested in how this brand new industry will unfold, comparing dutch to canadian industries is like comparing tobacco and buds. i will bet canada outsmokes even the u.s. in bulk every year lol, with no tobacco in em lol

i lived in holland and canada so, i get it.

i see grams selling for high in colorado too, legal market. cant keep up actually i hear.

med-man

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
First lemme say congrads and best of luck and much success on your future projects.... def gonna be a site omto see...

fatburt

i ask because a friend of mine was denied a production license because he had production charges on him....why dont you just tell me as i dont have access to that info.....

5th

Veteran
i ask because a friend of mine was denied a production license because he had production charges on him....

Your innocent until proven guilty in this country. He was denied for some other reason. (maybe past charges)

Pomodoro

Just wondering how you will be LEGALLY transfering those strains to the as yet unlic'd LP? The transfer period has ended.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
hey sam

thanks for sharing your advice.

you also said ammcan was owned by pps which is totally untrue respectfully.

You are sure right! I just mixed up the names I guess? His company is called CanniMed that PPS owns. I am sorry, I did not mean to put out anything untrue, I was surprised when I read it. What can I say? I am glad and now I see maybe your dreams of cheap high quality in Canada for medical patiens might come true. Keep trying. So many new Cannabis companies I get confused!!
-SamS

personally i am very interested in how this brand new industry will unfold, comparing dutch to canadian industries is like comparing tobacco and buds. i will bet canada outsmokes even the u.s. in bulk every year lol, with no tobacco in em lol

You mentioned entering the Holland market, so I thought I would mention how it is here. Were you aware of the new 15% THC law for the coffee shops on Jan 1 2015? I think it is insane but only time will tell if it really comes to be as planned.

Canada has a poulation of 35 million and it is going to outsmoke the US 320 million in bulk every year?
First of all maybe you are not right on this? You really think that Canadians smoke 10 times what an American smokes? Well what can I say? My grandmother, Canadian, is from Toronto does that count for me?
Most American smoke Cannabis without tobacco, it is rare, while in Toronto and Quebec I saw Cannabis mixed with tobacco constantly my most people. Maybe it has changed? I hope so.

i lived in holland and canada so, i get it.

i see grams selling for high in colorado too, legal market. cant keep up actually i hear.

Colorado will change fast they are allowed to grow at home now also. In a year or two they will not be able to sell all they can grow, at least in Colorado...

med-man
X

Last edited:

theJointedOne

Veteran
meh, this is whack

u get a pass but the bloke down the road who wants to play inside gets many years in prison, dancing with the devil?

no thanks, and man your ego is way too big for your outfit...punch a hole in this shit its full of hot air. mersh style

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
hey buddha1

med-man brand is a completely different company then ammcan, i will still be bosshogging.

i am expanding to ontario, holland and uruguay. to start.

aside from my own company, ammcan is a dream job for me. so not only do i run the only company like it in the world "med-man brand" i get to run production at the largest facility of its kind in the world.

expect a school, books, dvd's, etc etc etc from med-man brand

med-man

I saw the title, I read the OP.

You're working for a publicly traded company. Having as many different methodologies for growing is added cost. Not to mention, it really has no impact on the plant at the end of the day if you're feeding properly and not using pesticides. I can see them allowing for organic and non organic (hydro) options. I can't see them letting you go beyond that because it means increased costs.

Publicly traded companies have to follow certain rules, but mostly they have to ensure the most profits possible for their shareholders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts