What's new

*The K.I.S.S. Method*

G

Guest 18340

On my bag of Maxi Bloom it says 1tsp=5g you guys seem to think 1tsp=7g maxi bloom? Whats the deal with this?
Give or take 1/10th, 1 tsp of Maxibloom = 7 grams...

Hi, I just wanted to ask if I should change the dosing of Maxibloom or use something like Cal Mag for my future grow, since my tap water is at 0.208 EC which translates to somewhere around ~145 ppm? I haven't found any Cal Mag supplement's in my country so it would be good to know if I need any, so I could order it at the same time as Maxibloom (Nowhere to be found in my country also).

Thanks in advance! :tiphat:
With water like that you shouldn't need any cal/mag.

heatherlonglee

Did you tare the shot glass? Any explanation on the difference between label and actual weight? Thanks for the reply. I did read your post before but still I'm somewhat confused?

tester

IMO 1 teaspoon of MaxiBloom shouldn't be much heavier than 5 grams. If the same is written on the package then it's even more likely to be 5 grams.
It depends on the size (volume) of the teaspoon, and/or the scale might be wrong, but I think the variation in the volume of the teaspoons are causing the problems here.

If anyone have a syringe or anything with a milliliter (ml) scale, please fill the teaspoon with water then measure the volume with a syringe. If you have no syringe or ml scale, fill the teaspoon with clear water then weight it. 7g of water should be about 7ml.
I bet that whoever's teaspoon weighed 7 grams of MaxiBloom will be about 7ml in volume, 5 grammers will be 5 ml.

Please do this in order to shed some light on this matter some problems (for ex.: nute defs) can be solved this way.

There is significant difference between the supplied nutrient levels by 5-6-7 grams / gallon of maxibloom
attachment.php

G

Guest 18340

Of course I tared the shot glass!
You're confusing the directions on the bag.
It's 5-10 grams per L OR 1-2 tsp/gal. An L is less than a gallon. It's not saying 1 tsp + 5 grams...

G

Guest 18340

A scale doesn't lie guys. Break out your scales and measure for yourselves. I'll be right here...

G

Guest 18340

Also, we're not going by any directions on the bag, we are trying to replicate the Lucas formula with the Maxibloom.
At 1 tsp/gal it comes very close to the Liquid GH Lucas formula.
Break out the nutrient calculators.
*EDIT*
I just now recalibrated my scale and reweighed. Still 1 tsp=7grams...

dgr

It's 5-10 grams per 4 L OR 1-2 tsp/gal. 4 L is less than a gallon. About 3.8 liters in a gallon It's not saying 1 tsp + 5 grams...[/B]

evlme,
All great points. I fixed the typo for confused people so they don't get more confused.

tester

I just now recalibrated my scale and reweighed. Still 1 tsp=7grams...

So would you measure the volume of your teaspoon please?

I just measured mine and it's 5ml.
It should be 5ml.

From Wikipedia:
Common teaspoons such as bar spoons for measuring ingredients and stirring mixed drinks are often not designed to contain a standard volume. In practice, they may hold anything between 2.5 mL and 6 mL of liquid, so caution must be employed when using a teaspoon to measure a prescribed dose of medicine. For this reason and in order to avoid dispensing errors, special measuring spoons are available that hold exactly 5 mL.
If a recipe calls for a level teaspoonful of a dry ingredient (salt, flour, etc.), this refers to an approximately levelled filling of the spoon, producing the same volume as for liquids.

Some quick measurements:

1 teaspoon (=5ml)
- epsom salt 4.7g
- KNO3 5.4g
- Peters Prof. (10-30-20) 4.2g
- Volldünger Linz (14-7-21) 3.5g

KNO3 looks almost like fluor, while the others have bigger particle size like sugar.

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
And again, it should just be about the bud and ease of use.

picture.php

picture.php

Don't over think this thing ;)

Grab some dirt, water and a bag of Maxibloom :wave:

Watch the magic happen :wave:

Peace,

SSM :joint:

dgr

Also, we're not going by any directions on the bag, we are trying to replicate the Lucas formula with the Maxibloom.

:yeahthats

Don't over think this thing ;)
and :yeahthats

tester,
I looked in the bottom of the spoon that came in a bag of Maxibloom. It says "1 teaspoon/5 ml." Depending on how I scoop and level, It weighed out between 5 and 5.7 grams. I filled both sides (tablespoon and teaspoon side) with water. That's 4 tsp or 20 ml per the label in the spoon. Mass was 24.1 grams. That's an average of 6ml/teaspoon for the GH scoop. I did my best to get a zero height on the reverse meniscus but we all know the futility of that.

Looking at your charts, I don't see any danger levels between 5 and 7 that would suggest either an obvious deficiency or an obvious over-fert. Except the phosphorous ;)

Which leads me to the new KIS[uper]SS method. If you want to duplicate Lucas in a dry fert, use 7 grams of maxi/gallon of water. If you want to try maxi, use a teaspoon if you like and you'll get 5-7 grams of Maxibloom/gallon of water or 4 liters of water. Then, READ YOUR PLANTS :dance013:

Admittedly, I don't go start to finish with Maxi. I ran it side by side against 6/9 in coco E&F for several weeks. Both sides did well with the plants that could handle the salt build up. The plants that couldn't take the build up stalled on both regiments. So, again, READ YOUR PLANTS. I use it when I'm feeling lazy or in a rush and just need to get a couple of plants hand watered. I'd rather use 4:1 grow:bloom for about the same cost and what I think is a better profile. However, this isn't the thread for that.

peace

G

Guest 18340

So would you measure the volume of your teaspoon please?

I just measured mine and it's 5ml.
It should be 5ml.

From Wikipedia:

Some quick measurements:

1 teaspoon (=5ml)
- epsom salt 4.7g
- KNO3 5.4g
- Peters Prof. (10-30-20) 4.2g
- Volldünger Linz (14-7-21) 3.5g

KNO3 looks almost like fluor, while the others have bigger particle size like sugar.
I measured by weight, not volume. As it was taught to me.
Since day one of ever using Maxibloom I weigh out 1 tsp, which gives me 6.90g.

tester

:yeahthats

and :yeahthats

tester,
I looked in the bottom of the spoon that came in a bag of Maxibloom. It says "1 teaspoon/5 ml." Depending on how I scoop and level, It weighed out between 5 and 5.7 grams. I filled both sides (tablespoon and teaspoon side) with water. That's 4 tsp or 20 ml per the label in the spoon. Mass was 24.1 grams. That's an average of 6ml/teaspoon for the GH scoop. I did my best to get a zero height on the reverse meniscus but we all know the futility of that.

At last, thanks.

So if I got it right:
1 teaspoon (= 5ml) MaxiBloom is about 5-5.7 grams depending if it was heaped or leveled teaspoon. Can you give me an average? Is it like 5.35?

But KISS calls for 7 grams of Maxibloom in order to get similar nute levels as one gets with the Lucas formula.

It'd be better to weight out the amount needed for x gals, or calculate with 5.35g/tsp, not 7g/tsp.

I measured some tap water with the teaspoon-tablespoon I have.
1 tsp = 4.8g-5.1g
1 tbsp = 14.4g - 16.4g

G

Guest 18340

tester, volume and weight are not one in the same in this instance. Meaning, if you weigh out 5.35 grams, then pour it into a tsp, it will fall short of physically filling that tsp.
And falling short of the intended ratio.

John Deere

Veteran
I thought this was the K.I.S.S. thread. My head's spinning.

FYI, the lucas website says to use 7 g of MB per G. I just level off my tsp with my finger and dump it in my jug. No problems.

Happy growing.

Latest posts

Latest posts