What's new

The IC Organic Growers Community Thread.

It's been a while since logging on hope everyone is groovy. I have been collecting nutrient/dynamic accumulating plants for compost and teas has anyone had problems allelopathic plants when using composted green manure? I was researching Bamboo and came across the warning of introducing plants that are allelopathic, because they slow growth from natures design. We are growing and introducing 65 plus new plants to the property and would like to compost and powder as much as possible, but don't want retarded growth as a by product of mixing plants for compost. Any help or experiences out there?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it seems like most of your dynamic accumulators are going to be ok. what plants are you concerned about?

many plants are only an issue when growing live in the proximity to your crop plants. {it'll be like root exudates are the mechanism of the allelopathy.} Alfalfa is allelopathic to itself only in that it inhibits germination if established alfalfa exists in a field. This poses no issue when using it as a DA.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
hey guys, back again.

i just finished my third round in CocoGanics and i must say i think i've gotten the hang of it.

i've found it works best for me if i treat it more like soil and less like coco. only thing i still need to get a handle on are pots. so far airpots/cloth bags/ fabric pots. suck with this method,bags in general really. they dry so unevenly.

i didn't manage to go plain water this round, i fed a little alaska fish and kelp during the beginning to middle stages of flower. maybe a little too much Fish since they didn't really go yellow this time even when i finished the last month on water alone.

but certainly a shit lot better than the last grow.

picture.php

picture.php

i'll be back later with pics of my other 2 girls still in flower.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I put some varieties outside before Mother's day. Suddenly SNOW was predicted and I dragged out every towel, sheet, and tarp to protect them. The girls are doing fine now and if I get through the hail season there is hope of them finishing. I am near Denver and the growing season is quite short. The best I can grow outdoors is some ACE seeds Sativa hybrids as I don't like Indica that much.

Coba

Veteran
hey guys, back again.

i just finished my third round in CocoGanics and i must say i think i've gotten the hang of it.

i've found it works best for me if i treat it more like soil and less like coco. only thing i still need to get a handle on are pots. so far airpots/cloth bags/ fabric pots. suck with this method,bags in general really. they dry so unevenly.

i didn't manage to go plain water this round, i fed a little alaska fish and kelp during the beginning to middle stages of flower. maybe a little too much Fish since they didn't really go yellow this time even when i finished the last month on water alone.

but certainly a shit lot better than the last grow.

View Image

View Image

i'll be back later with pics of my other 2 girls still in flower.
great looking plants bonghits bro!!! that stuff is working for you good huh.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
great looking plants bonghits bro!!! that stuff is working for you good huh.

working pretty great actually. i just gotta get the soil mix to the point where i can veg in one pot, transplant to a bigger pot and finish all with nothing more than water, or a weak tea to keep the microbes and tiny insects/fungus happy. i need to get some sort of mulch too. the leaves thing didn't work too well. got too dry up top for the microbes to break down the leaves. so i just ended up with a mound of dead leaves on top of a dry layer of soil on top. lol. you live and you learn.

Coba

Veteran
working pretty great actually. i just gotta get the soil mix to the point where i can veg in one pot, transplant to a bigger pot and finish all with nothing more than water, or a weak tea to keep the microbes and tiny insects/fungus happy. i need to get some sort of mulch too. the leaves thing didn't work too well. got too dry up top for the microbes to break down the leaves. so i just ended up with a mound of dead leaves on top of a dry layer of soil on top. lol. you live and you learn.
Hmmm... your pots aren't big enough for a living mulch are they? if so maybe try some rye grass. It's cheap, easy to source, sprouts super quick and when I used it and it worked great.

lobsterbush

Decided not to go with the totes this round. Gave the smart pots another shot and they are really shining compared to the few I have in hard pots.

picture.php

My plants still seem to be digging my soil, third round or so recycling.

What living mulches would you guys recomend for my 5-7 gallon containers? Have really been procrastinating on that ..... :joint:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
clover's always a winner. other legumes? ~many like barley or other grass grains too

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Hmmm... your pots aren't big enough for a living mulch are they? if so maybe try some rye grass. It's cheap, easy to source, sprouts super quick and when I used it and it worked great.

oh no it wasn't living mulch just the dead leaves from the plants. but the top layer of soil didn't stay moist enough for the bacteria to break down the leaves like usual. just a mound of dry stuff on top of dry top layer of soil.