What's new

The how to and why fors of CO2 supplementation for growers

S

sparkjumper

A tank lasts me about 15-20 days if the plants are stretching and 25-30 days if they are flowering

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
If I recall sparkjumper has a CAP PPM-3 co2 controller that opens and closes the regulator as needed to maintain 1500 ppm. This is the most common way of dispersing CO2, timers are mostly guesswork.

intlplayr

If I recall sparkjumper has a CAP PPM-3 co2 controller that opens and closes the regulator as needed to maintain 1500 ppm. This is the most common way of dispersing CO2, timers are mostly guesswork.

Those things are sweet! is it possible to adapt one of the units to feed all 3 cabs of mine? Or would I need 3 separate units in your opinion?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Well, if all 3 flowering cabs are on at once then yes they can all theoretically be controlled by one (the tank would dump into the lung room most likely.) If not, then you'd need a separate CO2 setup (tank/monitor etc ) for each tent.

intlplayr

If I dispersed into the lung room, I wonder how well the intakes on the cabs would take in the CO2? the intakes are installed at the bottom left hand corner of the back wall of each cab so I guess as long as the room is tightly sealed theoretically it shouldn't be a problem?

then again, I guess if my lung room is tightly sealed then theoretically I should also be able to achieve the same levels using the guessing game (ie regulators and timers already installed on the cabs), and then measuring to make sure?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yep, right on all counts. CO2 is heavier than air so will sink to the floor, getting sucked into each cab intake. ;)

intlplayr

Sweet, going to get incense now... Looking at the room again, there is really only 2 possible places for it to leak out and that's at the bottom of both doors attached to the room. I'm sitting outside the room now and I can feel the cool draft coming from the room underneath the door.

What am i checking for again? negative pressure? Should I be blocking the air from escaping?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yes, no air should be pushing out (whats causing positive pressure in room?) Yes they make rubber seals/weatherstripping for doors, sides and bottoms. Hang out in the insulation/weatherstripping dept of Home Depot and you'll see all kinds of door sweeps and misc insulation things you can use. ;)

intlplayr

Yes, no air should be pushing out (whats causing positive pressure in room?) Yes they make rubber seals/weatherstripping for doors, sides and bottoms. Hang out in the insulation/weatherstripping dept of Home Depot and you'll see all kinds of door sweeps and misc insulation things you can use. ;)

Ya, I'll hang out at HD for awhile and find a way seal it up real good :eggnog:

As far as the positive pressure in the room is concerned I dunno, it's weird. I can only think of 2 possibilities:

1. When the A/c turns on, because of the way it is built, it shoots the cold air upwards and possibly because the cold air sinks, maybe on it's way down it's pushing some air out the crack at the bottom of the door? If that's possible
  2. And the only other thing i can think of is the CO2 tank. that's the only thing adding to the air volume inside the room but like I said before it only releases every 8 mins for 6 secs so and it releases directly into each cab so on second thought that prolly isn't it
After thinking while I'm typing, I'm leaning towards number 1 or at least soemthing having to do with the A/c since it seems like the draft increases while the A/C is on...

intlplayr

So I went to HD and found some good shit to seal the room with (door sweeps and EPMD rubber trimming) and wow what a difference! :xmasnut:

The room's been sealed in pretty much all day as I'ce been limiting how often I go in and wow the PPM's shot up to 2000 from when I just checked (see pic)... Woohoo!

I'll have to find the sweet spot over the next few days I guess as I'm still crankin at 10psi which may well be overkill it's looking like but is it true that 2000 is ok still? I've heard anywhere between 1300-2000 between forums, books and Remo's AN videos...

anyways, regardless, thanks a million Lazyman and I owe u big time for helping me work this shit out! :thanks:

Now if I can just figure out why my leaves are curling...

Cheers! :eggnog:

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 14

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Loving the use of door sweeps on the door. I have them run around mine and they make a nice airlock.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Cool deal Intl, glad you got it fixed up! Yeah you can dial down your PSI so your tanks last longer, 1500 is perfect.

MrCouchbound

My question is this:If not even the best lights are as good as the sun,and atmospheric co2 is around 300 ppm,why would you need co2 supplementation indoors where co2 is already around 600-700 ppm usually?I know Im new to this forum and compared to so many of you guys on here Im inexperienced.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The best lights ARE as bright as the sun, maybe not quite as good, but close enough. Just takes more wattage than actually needed for most indoor crops.

Indoors, CO2 still runs around 300ppm, not 6-700. We still need to get it to 1500 for the maximum benefit and with 85*F temps, the maximum growth rate possible.

max_well

Increased nutrient demands with enhanced co2?

Increased nutrient demands with enhanced co2?

Hi all
I posted a thread with this info in the infirmary section, but didn't get any action.. maybe it's better suited in this thread.
any thoughts are appreciated!

I've got general inquiry about nutrient requirements in the presence of enhanced co2 levels. I've read conflicting reports about the need for more nutes in the presence of ~1200-1500ppm co2.
Could enhanced c02 require higher nutrient EC to avoid deficiencies that would otherwise be absent in a non-co2 augmented grow?

I'm just more than 1 week into flower with an OG Kush strain that has some signs of ca2+ deficiency showing up. I've been gradually stepped up the co2 to ~1200 ppm thus far, and am seeing the typical impressive growth response, but also some discoloration and leaf rust spotting. I'm using Dutch Masters Gold at suggested amounts, with RO water, which has given me great results in the past with this strain in an identical setup, but without co2. I've noticed that the EC is my reservoir has been dropping more significantly in this grow, and I'm wondering if that is a result of the co2 enhancement. Plants directly under the lights seem more affected by the deficiency-- could they need increased nutes to compensate for the higher temps(83-84f)/ co2.
Has anyone had similar experience with increased nutrient requirements in the presence of increased co2? Is this highly strain dependent?
any thoughts and insights are appreciated.
-Max

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hey Max, yes, the plants metabolism will be increased, so it will use more water, food, and light than previously (without CO2.) However this is just a general notion, if your plants do not need additional food, you shouldn't add more food, no matter what anybody says. If you are using RO then yes, I'd add cal-mag (I like Techniflora MagiCal)

Give your plants what they need!

Cheers

S

sparkjumper

Lazyman have you ever checked co2 levels in your house with RAE co2 tester?I'm telling you bro,its definately hiogher than 3-400.I havent been growing a couple months but my cap is still hooked up I'll give it a look right now.Right now I'm reading 714 PPM in my flower room.It is true bro though I dont know exactly why its higher indoors.The room I just checked had the door closed and nothing happening for weeks.My cap is calibrated too

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hey SJ, not sure of the RAE acronym, I used one of the glass bulb testers and it was 350 in my house, same as my room. I do live in an old farmhouse with single glazed windows and several fireplaces though, both buildings leak like a sieve. The 714 reading, was that in a room with people? I wonder if/how CO2 is affected by the seasons or geography, is proximity to a forest or an urban area more likely to give higher baseline readings?

S

sparkjumper

I live 1/8 mile from a major interstate I know that makes a difference.I'm going to find out why co2 levels are usually higher indoors.I was honestly surprised at the 714 reading myself as its usually in the 600's.No people man that door has been closed for literally weeks when I checked my cap.