What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Found the publication wherein the variety Helvetica is mentioned HERE.
They also mention Alp King, Swissmix (heterogeneous mix of something), and Walliser Queen. BTW it's been published in 1999 (field trials started around 1995), is in German language, and the work has been funded/done by the the Eidgenössische Forschungsanstalt für Pflanzenbau now part of Agroscope.
There hasn't been any real Swiss variety since the WWII and except for France, no hemp at all in Europe during the '60 and '70 (according to another, related publication HERE). Additionally, there's not one Swiss hemp variety found in any seedbank.

Your last link i get to see this

Dear Visitor

The federal authorities of Switzerland make use of a system scanning website requests for security violations. Your request has been flagged as such a violation and has therefore been blocked. It is possible that this constitutes a false positive. If you have received this message in error, please contact the service desk of the Federal Office for IT and Telecommunications, stating support-id C-12896349251832986669 as well as any additional information which may be relevant to the case. We will evaluate your case and report back to you within a week.

Federal Office of IT and Telecommunications

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Dam! I get the same now! Must be some sort of error?
But who cares? I've got the file saved on my laptop :D !
Well... that sounds now like me being a complete arse bragging about it and not sharing ;( but I can't upload the PDF file.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Dam! I get the same now! Must be some sort of error?
But who cares? I've got the file saved on my laptop :D !
Well... that sounds now like me being a complete arse bragging about it and not sharing ;( but I can't upload the PDF file.

Only during working hours you get that message.

Title: Agronomische Eigenschaften von Hanfsorten

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Villanova
Late and giant dioecious variety, very similar to Carmagnola for fatness and productivity. The seed was purchased by EcoHemp Rovigo at a price of € 6.50 per kg. It has a low germinability. Analysis on the flower not carried out with the presumption that they are very similar to Carmagnola

Attachments

• 20181018_004052.jpg
    20181018_004052.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20170717_084514 (1).jpg
    IMG_20170717_084514 (1).jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 95

Tavish

The thing with "old" varieties from Switzerland is that before 1999/2000, any cannabis plant used for industrial purposes was considered hemp. Until somewhen after WWII, most farmers had a hemp plot on which they grew "their" variety year after year, it wasn't even considered a variety but it was simply hemp. In the ninetieth quite a few started to grow also commercial cannabis alongside their hemp, officially for industrial purposes such as bath additive or little bags you put in the cupboard or under your cushion for theirs smell (so called Hanfseckli). Obviously, there was a lot of hybridisation going on, either by coincidence or on purpose. First breeding approaches and some commercial fields mostly in the Ticino sprouted up around '95 but got busted in '99 and 2000. Over a decade of near extinction and de facto hemp prohibition followed. It was about 5 years ago when the CBD rush took a hold of Europe and new legislations or rather new grey-zones occurred; the time of hemp resurrection had begun. It remains mostly elusive from where and whom, all of a sudden, all those "old" varieties reoccurred. There's Pro Specie Rara which sells one variety and the official gene bank Agroscope which, allegedly, has a bunch of varieties but these aren't publicly available/accessible. There's also only a very few documentations of old distinct heirloom varieties found on the net because, as I mentioned, hemp was only hemp. Gotta go, sorry...

Do you know why feminization via STS or the likes isn't popular in Europe? Wouldn't this be a much more efficient way to yield higher CBD %?

Or is it regulation, those feminized seeds are not "EU-approved", even if they are made from Finola for example.

Tavish

Nice graphs!
Chamaeleon seems a nice choice for CBD and it's also decorative with its yellow stems. Wonder where to get seeds... there's not much info on that fairly new Dutch variety, though.

Is there a seed variety preferred for CBD content in EU? I always thought the most popular was Finola...

hunt4genetics

Veteran
This question may have been answered if so... but are there any companies that sell hemp seeds not by the LB for hundreds of $$$$, but maybe a pack of 10? I just need a male and female and time, any companies suited for the micro-hemp farmer?

mexcurandero420

Veteran
This question may have been answered if so... but are there any companies that sell hemp seeds not by the LB for hundreds of $$$$, but maybe a pack of 10? I just need a male and female and time, any companies suited for the micro-hemp farmer?
Depends on where you live?

kava

Last time I saw hemp seeds sold over the counter was Walmart last weekend.
The bird food for cockateals have lots of different seeds and about 3/4 down the list is hemp.
I would hang his cage out side on patio and he was a messy eater. Found several plants growing in pots under his cage.
Some bird food is sprayed so they dont germinate (most times it is a color so they can tell the difference by eye. )
Just a thought

Kava

Azaghal

Veteran
Hello everybody :tiphat:,

would like to share this article, altough not in english, only in german, sorry.

It is from a magazine called "Wochenblatt für Landwirtschaft und Landleben", #37/2020 (10th of September 2020), page 33 by Heinz Georg Waldeyer.

One of the main topics discussed are different strains of hemp for different purposes (either for fiber, seeds or a combination of both, see "Sortenunterschiede").

Varieties mentioned for

-fibre : "Fibror 27" with 3,5 - 4 million plants/ha (10,000 m^2) as an aim.

-seeds : "Finola" or "Earlina 08" with 2 - 2,5 million plants/ha as an aim.

- both fibre and seeds (combi variety) : "USO 31", "Ferimon", "Fedora 17" or "Felina 32", all said to be less specialized.

Thought this could be of use in this thread so here it is ;).

Cheers

Attachments

• Whole article.jpg
    Whole article.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Difference  between hemp grown for fiber and hemp grown for seeds.jpg
    Difference between hemp grown for fiber and hemp grown for seeds.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

We've completed numerous CBD Hemp hybrids between 17-22% CBD.