What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
As far as I can tell it's just that the the approval hasn't been renewed once it expired. If there's no demand for it then there's no point in spending money one something you could plant either way. There was a time where hemp was legal (hemp being cannabis for industrial purposes no matter its THC content) and then there was the time where it wasn't any longer. And then EU varieties became legal (Fédora 17 is one of those) and that's about it.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Nice graphs!
Chamaeleon seems a nice choice for CBD and it's also decorative with its yellow stems. Wonder where to get seeds... there's not much info on that fairly new Dutch variety, though.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Chamaeleon is registered in 1999.Vandinter Semo is the company who sells this variety together with USO-31.Personally i'm curious to the genetic background.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Chamaeleon is yellow stemmed, so it could be this variety but then another name.According to the variety specification Chamaeleon flowers late.

The chlorophyll-deficient yellow-stemmed 'Kompolti Sárgaszárú' was registered in 1974, but is however not currently cultivated. It was obtained from a cross between a spontaneous yellow-stemmed mutant from Germany (Helle Stengel-Hoffmann, found in the offspring of a cross between Finnish early and Italian late hemp) and 'Kompolti', which was repeatedly back-crossed with 'Kompolti' (Bócsa, 1969). Small seed quantities of 'Kompolti Sárgaszárú' are available for research purposes.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
According to the informations I found it is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a hybrid between Carmono and Compolti sargaszárú.[/FONT]

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Chamaeleon is a dioecious variety, while Carmono is monoeciousness.Kompolti sargaszaru x Carmono would give an unisex variety.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I apologise, I made a mistake: Carmaleonte is the cross I mentioned, not Chamaeleon, and it is indeed a unisex variety. I don't know anything about the lineage of Chamaeleon but would guess too that it's likely derived from Kompolti sargaszárú.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
I apologise, I made a mistake: Carmaleonte is the cross I mentioned, not Chamaeleon, and it is indeed a unisex variety. I don't know anything about the lineage of Chamaeleon but would guess too that it's likely derived from Kompolti sargaszárú.

That's okay.Wrote an email to the company who sells the seed.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Nice! Let us know what they say :) !

They said they don't sell it anymore since several years.I did also send a mail to Hempflax, but till now no answer.

About the Swiss heirloom Schöne vom Albis

What is the THC and CBD content of the variety "Beautiful of the Albis"?

The following values ​​have been determined in recent years:
total THC 0.2-0.8%, total CBD 1.9-4.4%. The lower values ​​were achieved earlier in the harvest, the higher values ​​in the later harvest.

The following values ​​have been determined in recent years:
total THC 0.2-0.8%, total CBD 1.9-4.4%. The lower values ​​were achieved earlier in the harvest, the higher values ​​in the later harvest.

So many "hemp" varieties (such as this) are just low content type II plants. A very interesting breeding strategy.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
So many "hemp" varieties (such as this) are just low content type II plants. A very interesting breeding strategy.

Excellent breeding material i would say, but its interesting how this strain would do in a coastal area where you've more humid climate.
Haven't seen any terpene profile from this old variety yet.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
The thing with "old" varieties from Switzerland is that before 1999/2000, any cannabis plant used for industrial purposes was considered hemp. Until somewhen after WWII, most farmers had a hemp plot on which they grew "their" variety year after year, it wasn't even considered a variety but it was simply hemp. In the ninetieth quite a few started to grow also commercial cannabis alongside their hemp, officially for industrial purposes such as bath additive or little bags you put in the cupboard or under your cushion for theirs smell (so called Hanfseckli). Obviously, there was a lot of hybridisation going on, either by coincidence or on purpose. First breeding approaches and some commercial fields mostly in the Ticino sprouted up around '95 but got busted in '99 and 2000. Over a decade of near extinction and de facto hemp prohibition followed. It was about 5 years ago when the CBD rush took a hold of Europe and new legislations or rather new grey-zones occurred; the time of hemp resurrection had begun. It remains mostly elusive from where and whom, all of a sudden, all those "old" varieties reoccurred. There's Pro Specie Rara which sells one variety and the official gene bank Agroscope which, allegedly, has a bunch of varieties but these aren't publicly available/accessible. There's also only a very few documentations of old distinct heirloom varieties found on the net because, as I mentioned, hemp was only hemp. Gotta go, sorry...

mexcurandero420

Veteran
@ Only Ornamental
What i read is that since 1975 there was a total ban on hemp in Switzerland, so if it was possible to keep some varieties, i would not know.
On the first page of this topic you wrote about a Swiss heirloom Bergnaturhanf Ladir.There was also a variety of hemp called Helvetica.

In Holland the interest in hemp came in the early 90s, but before that there was only interest in Cannabis for the marijuana and hash.

Got a mail today from Hempflax, but they don't know who sell the seeds of Chamaeleon either.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Dam, at least you tried... Helvetica was/is a bunch of different varieties. There's one publication (IIRC it was in German) mentioning them. From my own memory, Helvetica was just 'Swiss hemp'. You know how it goes with all the drug type cannabis 'strains' and their fancy names ;) . There's never been a ban on hemp but marijuana as long as I can remember (which isn't very long, cause at first I was too young to care and then too stoned to remember =) ). Since the '90, that was when I first came in contact with cannabis, there's always been a few hemp fields around, mostly used by farmers privately. In the meantime, they're no longer allowed to use it as fodder for their cattle whereas hemp industry slightly increased.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Found the publication wherein the variety Helvetica is mentioned HERE.
They also mention Alp King, Swissmix (heterogeneous mix of something), and Walliser Queen. BTW it's been published in 1999 (field trials started around 1995), is in German language, and the work has been funded/done by the the Eidgenössische Forschungsanstalt für Pflanzenbau now part of Agroscope.
There hasn't been any real Swiss variety since the WWII and except for France, no hemp at all in Europe during the '60 and '70 (according to another, related publication HERE). Additionally, there's not one Swiss hemp variety found in any seedbank.

Latest posts

Latest posts