What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

oldchuck

Veteran
You are a little behind, OO. There is a company on Oregon breeding and selling large quantities of low THC, high CBD fem seed made from a diversity of hybrids. Look up socioecologist in the Oregon hemp thread. Their operation looks pretty sound. Fem seed made like high THC fem seed sold all over.

This guy anglegoob is a different story. He certainly doesn't have the good stuff, just some kind of EU legal hemp. No way will he be doing what he says he will. 25 kg of real fem CBD seed would cost a small fortune and he's going to throw it all away? I don't think so.

angelgoob

I probably won't do it. For you sake and others crops.

But I just like the idea. I am crazy enough to do it. I guess I am just waiting for the right moment.

I think I just needed some feedback.

So I should teach people how to grow hemp?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Mei-o-mei... real fem hemp! WTF! (Note to myself: do that too. Could sell round here.)

@goob: Or you teach them how to grow CBD cannabis. Tried indoor hemp myself and it's not very practical.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Last week was a temperature drop and some turned purple

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68324&pictureid=1652786" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68324&pictureid=1652787" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68324&pictureid=1652788" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68324&pictureid=1652789" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68324&pictureid=1652796" target="_blank">View Image

wow dude this one looks great.
In fact it looks exactly the one I have flowering in my closet. Mine is only a foot tall and is purpling a bit in the flower cycle. :)
picture.php

picture.php

what strain is yours.

Farm Hero

kinda bumping this thread to give my take on Midwest feral hemp.

as a teenage guerilla grower, I was always wary of the feral hemp seeding my quality flowers.

The feral males (never once saw a hermie feral hemp plant) would kick out pollen in mid to late July, about when indica varieties begin to show flowers so that wouldn't work for sensi. It seemed that seeds from mexican schwagg being more sativa dominant going into flower later was a better choice as the mexican plants would only begin to flower after all of the hemp males were already done and burnt up by the sun.

Using the schwagg seeds worked better with some of the later flowering varities coming out nearly seedless.

However there were seeds that did drop that were (mexican schwagg x feral hemp) genetics and they came up in the same spot the next year... a spot no hemp grew at before the planting. The next year I sampled this accidental cross and couldn't believe how good and potent it was. I figured it would be worthless but it wasn't.

Those wild feral hemp plants are vigorous, saw one grow up to 15 ft. tall in an old chicken pen.

Hemp was one of the first plants to pop up in the pasture in the spring. Sure don't have to baby them, flood or drought they do great with few pests.

Hemp survives... be a great trait to pass on to a volunteer crop year after year.

For the guy that asked about hemp silage, the cows would never eat the hemp that grew in their pasture think it's too fiberous for them and they probably would not eat hemp silage. But i'm not positive. Chopped with sorghum on it they might chow.

For the person asking about isomerization of hemp oil, I've always been wondering the same thing. IF you could transform hemp cbd to thc thru isomerization that would be very interesting.

The feral hemp around here is either sticky and skunky, or with a slight lemon odor, it's dark green with very thin leaves, very sativa in appearance with visible crystals.

Wish I had more time to experiment with hemp, but I've been plenty busy working on a cross of the cheese widow for the past 6 years or so. I'm at Bx1 F3 generation and it's quite stable/sturdy for outdoor Midwest weather and does great indoor hydro as well.

I see it as hemp is the future of industry, cannabis is the future of medicine.

Kankakee

think i've found the famed " Chinamington " after a very, very long search.

each plant measured between 14.5ft - 18ft. very small patch not much branching or seed capacity so the first search will only involve 6,000 seed before further selection ....

oldchuck

Veteran
think i've found the famed " Chinamington " after a very, very long search.

each plant measured between 14.5ft - 18ft. very small patch not much branching or seed capacity so the first search will only involve 6,000 seed before further selection ....

Where have you been searching Kank? Midwestern feral?

Kankakee

Where have you been searching Kank? Midwestern feral?

Hello Oldchuck

Yes. Indiana, Illinois and Iowa. Found many varieties over the last two years most had a traditional christmas tree structure maybe 6ft-9ft tall.

The eradication efforts have destroyed most near the road sides.

Driving one lane dirt / stone roads has been the norm. The fuel and lodging are a concern with neighbors noticing a stranger around. Gone days without seeing a thing and many other wild plants have a similar structure from 50ft away makes this task almost impossible.

A very large farm around 41º latitude had the patch. On a corner behind an old barn ( this structure has been rebuilt many times on same pad ). I was turning around and seen one towering off in the distance.

Kankakee

Most of the seeds are very small. Almost black.

They are very tall, node spacing about 7 inches, branching does not till about 8 or 9ft. Hollow stem. Like others have said maybe a 4 or 6 week window for seed collecting. A few completely dead already dropped seed or its dried out.

So its a needle in a hay stack. And many areas that look inviting like over-run farms with wild corn and wheat etc also peppered with no trespassing signage.

And the car stinks of dead sativa just like the o.g. would so dealing with police always a risk. But it payed off ....

Another thing i noticed. After de-seeding the flowers my finger tips covered in black tar but not caked on. And it washed off 80% with just water alone and totally wash off in seconds with a wash cloth or soap. Unlike thc on your fingers for days .....

And almost no crystals .... very sativa thin leaves but not big. only the bud sites had leaves up the arms. maybe ten branches total per plant.

oldchuck

Veteran
Much respect, Kank. I think you are doing important work. For some years I have been convinced there are some important genetics in midwestern ditch weed. It needs to be seriously analyzed. Hang onto those seeds. We should talk when you get to your 50 posts allowing PMs

Kankakee

I have been thinking the same thing !

A bad assumption made on the net has been these strains are lost and that without growing in compacted rows the unique height diminished. Only 16 plants over many acres none within 20ft of each other yet all very uniform ....

I can't believe it either, really. So the dominant trait held without root-environmental space competition/ red spectrum....

Kankakee

It's pure luck at this point. I was turning around and seen it out the back window 35-40ft onto someones land. Without that, would not even be posting. The other stuff i've found is not that good.

This one stuck out as fiber strain.

It looks just like the picture Dewey took with that giant ruler. Its the same strain.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Thanks for sharing, Kankakee!

This one stuck out as fibre strain.
If a plant is tall and poorly branched and hence looks like a fibre variety doesn't actually make it a good fibre variety. There's more to it than meets the eye such as fibre length, fibre diameter, total fibre content (% dry matter), fibre quality and fibre strength...
Certain European/Russian varieties are tall by nature; being a good quality fibre cultivar isn't necessarily depending on hybrid vigour but hybrid vigour is what made American hemp special. Back in the day of American hemp breeding, standards, expectations, and knowledge were different to European/Russian ones in the '40 and are different to modern days. These days, hemp varieties are less chosen just by plant hight but by fibre content and fibre quality (which is determined by modern techniques), uniformity (hight and synchronised maturity), stable proportions of sex distribution (males, females with male habit, true females etc.), maturation speed and coping with local climate, but also low THC (which is absolutely stupid but old superstition dies hard)... Some things are the same, some seem the same but are judged differently, and others have changed priorities. If back then people would have looked for low maintenance seed varieties we would say that going feral wouldn't have let to the disappearance of the old breeds but that their phenotypes were very dominant... In the end, both would be the same now, feral mixed up hemp varieties harbouring more or less hidden genes from around the world, a world many of us have never seen.

Take good care of those seeds!

Kankakee

It's more about the un-molested genetics as every seed still has everything needed locked with.

Much like Luther Burbank selecting towards a goal I will do the same.

The time you prepare the land, the N used, the time sown, retting process all affect quality of yield and final product to a certain degree. Indeed until testing is performed and the line reselected it's moot. But Dewey's strains almost double production / yield as tested in Wisconsin, Illinois and he increased yields over 7-8 years of testing by 60%.

But these genetics went into the top strains in europe long, long ago w/ Fleischmann etc so working with them moving forward is priceless.

Kankakee

And i'll be outcrossing and testing with many genetics moving forward:

But a key for me was chopping the main stem and seeing it hollowed out ( a sign of fiber quality for Dewey ) still after all these years. Many of the key attributes still intact even without field compaction environment. They stayed true.

But the testing will come over the next few years.

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
Do your crosses, Kank, and see what you get but I would also suggest you keep some of the varieties you collect intact. OO is right about Dewey's cultivars being a result of hybrid vigor. After many generations of random cross after cross I would think you have a rich stew of Cannabis genetics.

Do I remember correctly that American hemp improved tremendously after Chinese hemp was introduced into the mix?

Latest posts

Latest posts