What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

chuck_rae

Help Needed!!

Help Needed!!

Hi guy's wonder if anyone can afford to give me some advise on which EU approved hemp strains are best to grow to obtain high bud yield and high CBD%. I'd also like to know roughly how much an acre of this strain would produce in bud, and roughly how much CBD you could make from this bud. Really appreciate any info on this..;)

Hi guy's wonder if anyone can afford to give me some advise on which EU approved hemp strains are best to grow to obtain high bud yield and high CBD%. I'd also like to know roughly how much an acre of this strain would produce in bud, and roughly how much CBD you could make from this bud. Really appreciate any info on this..;)

Unfortunately, you'd be better off simply importing legally produced hemp flowers from the US. The "best" CBD producer that is EU legal is Finola, and the females (50%) will give you between 1%-1.5% when seeded. That's barely enough to cover the cost of electricity for big extractors. We're growing fields of feminized 15%+ plants in the states right now...

chuck_rae

yes the eu approved seeds seem very low in cbd, but I'm growing outdoors and would really like to know from ur experience roughly how much bud an acre of Industrial hemp would yield, and from that bud how much cbd could be extracted..

yes the eu approved seeds seem very low in cbd, but I'm growing outdoors and would really like to know from ur experience roughly how much bud an acre of Industrial hemp would yield, and from that bud how much cbd could be extracted..

Plant spacing? Soil type and fertility? Irrigation set up? Planting and harvesting by hand or using precision seeding equipment? How do you plan to dry? How do you plan to extract? Etc etc etc. There's a pretty wide gap between backyard growing and industrial farming. I'd recommend speaking to a local agronomist if serious about proceeding.

chuck_rae

thanks you're right and I appreciate the advice, but assuming I have normal spacing and fertile medium, roughly what yield of bud would an IH strain give per acre..roughly?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
For some of us, there's one minor, really small and nearly unimportant reason to go with EU approved hemp varieties.... it's called "law" or, for those who do decide otherwise, something known as "prison" ;) .

And then there's the seeds which you can buy in sacks of 25 kg for roughly €250. A reasonable price if you wanted to plant some hectares full of hemp. Also, the climate plays a certain role; cannatonic and co just won't stand a moist and cold fall which is common in northern and eastern Europe.
Also, growing fibre hemp allows for mechanical harvest using a comb and stuff whereas the drug-type-like CBD varieties might best be harvested by hand (at least that's what I suppose)...

Some very important truth in Only Ornamental's reply, thank you! Any non-approved EU cultivars do pose an issue for local production, but it is still legal to import flowers from other sources as long as they meet national THC limits (which is recommended at this point). We've been working diligently over the last two years to fix many of the agronomic issues you have described.

Unfortunately, getting new cultivars added to ANY list is a difficult, time consuming process. We are currently prepping for our 2nd and final year of field trial / data collection portion of the USDA plant variety protection program on some key cultivars...one that we believe is a game changer. 12% CBD, 60:1 CBD to THC ratio, autoflowering, 70 days from germination to harvest--machine harvestable and drying done in the field. We'll be able to release it worldwide in 2018. Be patient, the world is changing! :)

oldchuck

Veteran
Another upvote for OO. This applies in various ways across the US east coast. Fine, the world is changing. I have my doubts that it is for the better.

These guys are hooked on west coast corporate control of Cannabis so us little guys elsewhere have to look out for ourselves.

us little guys elsewhere have to look out for ourselves.

Our work is done by two people--my brother and I. No outside funding, no investors, just two kids raised in the woods with nothing who are trying to make the world a better place through our actions. We dropped our entire adult careers and savings into the dream of making CBD and other non-THC cannabinoids accessible by all for low prices...we're going through the the IP process with USDA for multiple reasons. One is definitely to protect our investment, which amounts to everything we've ever owned and then some leveraged into our little research project. The other is that varieties don't get adopted in other countries unless they have official recognition by government agencies in their country of origin. It will allow us to get this cultivar into farmer's hands around he world more quickly than would be otherwise possible if simply developed in a closet.

oldchuck

Veteran
Good on you. And as soon as you start looking moderately successful a vulture will swoop in with more money than you have ever dreamed of and consume you.

zimeth

So... I went through the varieties and I think the one, which would fit my energetics focus (high biomass) is the " Havelländer ", which is from Germany, which also has the same if not worse climate conditions for growing hemp, in my opinion.
Now my question is; Where do I find this exact hemp seed variety provider / Where do I buy these hemp seeds? Am I missing something obvious? :eek:

.....+ I've notived somebody stated the average cost of seeds is 250 euro for 25kg... is tha true? Isn't that super high? Where can I get such deal? And how many kg of seeds should i plant on a single metre square?

Thanks a lot!

oldchuck

Veteran
The 250 euro price is for Finola shipped from from the maker in Finland. See their web page. Other sources would probably be more. What makes you like this Havellander variety?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Havelländer isn't an EU approved variety... sorry bout that! You could get a few dozen seeds for research/breeding only.
The €250 per 25kg was the fixed price by the EU till last year. This/next year will be similar I suppose. It's a very fair price IMHO and you'd get the seeds at the official seed seller. You find that one in the variety data base at the end of the PDF version (see link provided in the first post). Maybe you can buy in a different country, maybe you have to deal what your own country's "breeder" provides (depends on the country you live in). Besides every variety in said PDF version is a number which corresponds to the institute which sells those seeds and only seeds from such an institute come with the official certificate. A Finola, Carmagnola, Fedora 17 or whatever not bought from the official institute isn't approved as EU variety and may even be illegal to grow! Ask your local agronomy institute/chamber/politician or however it's called for more advice ;) .
Besides, Finola has a very low dry weight cause it's very short/small but it's also very forgiving to grow if you're interested in seeds or flowers, that is.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Forgot to mention: You should go with a monoecious or female predominant variety because with a dioecious one you'll have 50% (the males) already in a rotten stage when harvesting. I'd go with one from eastern European.
Why not the Bialobrzeskie or the Secuieni Jublieu? IIRC the former is a varieties also maintained in the Czech republic and the latter with high biomass, both are fairly old and well adopted to your country's climate ;) . There are more helpful PDF on the iHempFarms.com website too...

angelgoob

im looking for seeds so I can mix them and create balls that absorb water and grow the plant.

I need a paintball gun and a car. Im going to litter the earth with them.

Once they find out I've dropped 25 kg in seed, they'll give up and people will harvest the plants with cbd for them.

oldchuck

Veteran
im looking for seeds so I can mix them and create balls that absorb water and grow the plant.

I need a paintball gun and a car. Im going to litter the earth with them.

Once they find out I've dropped 25 kg in seed, they'll give up and people will harvest the plants with cbd for them.

That is a very irresponsible plan. What those of us who are beginning to rely on CBD for medical reasons need is well cultivated, clean genetics, accurately tested raw material. You would drop 25kg of random seed where ever very possibly pollinating other peoples carefully selected plants, CBD dominant or not. I hope you are just kidding.

angelgoob

It won't pollinate other people's crops. I am buying fems.

And people can charcoal filter it...the extract. so there! lol

edit: Some people don't have access to cbd. I know one patient or two. I will make suckers. easy.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Fem hemp? It's called 'monoecious' and that's even a worse threat regarding cross pollination... Teach the people with no access to CBD how to grow their own plants in a cabinet would be a wiser idea ;) .