What's new

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
light is divided into three classifications called UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C.

Standard window glass, according to the International Ultraviolet Association, will allow UV-A to pass through while almost 100% of the UV-B and UV-C light is blocked.
https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q12082.html

UV-A radiation (from 315 to 420 nm) - Barely visible to the human eye, UV-A has the longest wavelength, is the least harmful to the human eye and is the most efficient. Most of the UV-A radiation emitted from the sun passes through the ozone layer and, thus, it is the most abundant form of ultraviolet

UV-B radiation (from 280nm to 315nm) - Primarily used within water sterilisation and decontamination, ensuring that mould and spores do not grow on plants. This is done by limiting bacteria in the water that moulds and spores would usually cling to and develop from.

UV-C radiation (typically below 280nm) - These wavelengths are usually filtered out through the ozone layer and are not usually present in sunlight. However, with the correct doses, UV-C can in fact increase the growth of plants. This wavelength ensures that pesticides and moulds that can be found during plant growth are limited/killed off, allowing the plant to flourish in optimal growing conditions.

The inclusion of UV-C within horticultural LED grow lights will enable plants to increase their height. However, you do need to be very careful with UV-C as typically, if overdosed, the plant can actually be stunted in growth. It is recommended a dose no higher than 15 minutes per week is applied. This is recommended for all plant growth (including trees)
https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/the-importance-of-ultraviolet-in-horticultural-lighting

Glass Greenhouses work very well.

I always heard that uvc was the most dangerous to humans. I remember them saying to remember uvB is Bad but uvC causes the big C cancer.

I need to figure out the wavelength of the UV light I put in my overflow Rez to cut down on slime.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's prob UV-C. Most water UV sterilizers use 300- 200nm.. It's prob 254nm. This is the bulb they use.

On another note, the THH terps have changed. No more cat piss. Its now a very nice sharp dank aroma I associate with quality cannabis. I'm not sure which terpenes I'm smelling just yet. If it translates into the final smoke it should be very nice.

83 DAYS
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1684.JPG Views:	1 Size:	305.1 KB ID:	17983362 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1686.JPG Views:	1 Size:	276.7 KB ID:	17983363

My THH X p41 hybrid is starting off awfully pretty :D.
DSCN1687.JPG

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I always heard that uvc was the most dangerous to humans. I remember them saying to remember uvB is Bad but uvC causes the big C cancer.

I need to figure out the wavelength of the UV light I put in my overflow Rez to cut down on slime.

When produced by the sun, UV-C does not penetrate the earth's atmosphere.

High levels of UV-B radiation are responsible for

multiple biologically harmful effects in both plants and animals. In plants, these effects include DNA
damage, which often causes heritable mutations affecting various physiological processes, including
the photosynthetic apparatus, protein destruction and signal transduction via UV-B photoreceptors.
High UV-B levels introduce a number of different lesions, predominantly cyclobutane pyrimidine
dimmers (CPDs) and pyrimidine (6-4) pyrimidinone products [(6-4) PPs] in the genome. These could
adversely affect plant growth, development and morphology, especially the productivity of sensitive
crop species. This paper reviews the genetic effects of long-term UV-B exposure in plants.

African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 7 (25), pp. 4874-4883, 29 December, 2008
Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB
ISSN 1684–5315 © 2008 Academic Journals

Best way to reduce slime/algae is to block the light

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
When produced by the sun, UV-C does not penetrate the earth's atmosphere.

High levels of UV-B radiation are responsible for

multiple biologically harmful effects in both plants and animals. In plants, these effects include DNA
damage, which often causes heritable mutations affecting various physiological processes, including
the photosynthetic apparatus, protein destruction and signal transduction via UV-B photoreceptors.
High UV-B levels introduce a number of different lesions, predominantly cyclobutane pyrimidine
dimmers (CPDs) and pyrimidine (6-4) pyrimidinone products [(6-4) PPs] in the genome. These could
adversely affect plant growth, development and morphology, especially the productivity of sensitive
crop species. This paper reviews the genetic effects of long-term UV-B exposure in plants.

African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 7 (25), pp. 4874-4883, 29 December, 2008
Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB
ISSN 1684–5315 © 2008 Academic Journals

Best way to reduce slime/algae is to block the light

Yeah. I wasn't necessarily talking about from the sun, but we are both right.
"The sun emits three different types of UV radiation: UVA, UVB, and UVC.
All types of UV radiation have the potential to damage your skin, but each type affects your skin differently. UVA rays, which account for 95 percent of radiation that reaches the earth’s surface, cause wrinkles, “sun spots,” and other types of premature aging. They are also strongly linked to skin cancer. UVB rays, which affect skin’s top layer, cause skin cancer and most sunburns.

Although UVA and UVB rays pose the greatest risk for sun damage, people who work with welding torches or mercury lamps may be exposed to UVC rays, the most dangerous type of UV radiation."

But the thing with the freaking reservoir is it's in not getting much light in there. Its a clear slime that sticks to sides of res but more so on the hose.
I have a dehumidifier running from a garden hose going on into a 27 gal black plastic tote. Not much light in the room to get through but I guess it's happening. I guess I could paint the outside of the garden hose black and paint the reservoir lid.
I looked at the fishtank uv light but I can't read Chinese. It doesn't say nm spectrum. It probably doesn't even have enough wattage to do anything it says it's only 3W.
I'll make the lid 100% light proof Hemp.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nevil Haze 21 x Mullumbimby Madness long Feminized project.

pic 1.NH21 X MML clone Reversed.

Attachments

• 20211105_214749.jpg
    20211105_214749.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211105_214124.jpg
    20211105_214124.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211105_214124.jpg
    20211105_214124.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211105_213024.jpg
    20211105_213024.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211105_213024.jpg
    20211105_213024.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 27

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Here are two girls of old Skunk x Original Haze from Cultivators Choice via Panikz @RGS/Breeders Retail... Almost 4 weeks in, coming along nicely..
Click image for larger version  Name:	20211104_160030.jpg Views:	23 Size:	66.8 KB ID:	17983981
Click image for larger version  Name:	20211104_155958.jpg Views:	23 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	17983982

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Off topic but regarding previous posts on choice of parents and stellar seeds comes down to stellar parents, either the Skunk or the widow used in his crosses is REALLY sativa leaning as most of the widow x skunk girls are looking as sativa as these, though the frost is more developed. Every cross I've tested out made with that skunk male by Sam'S has basically been immune to powder mold, but not botritus. Though, I'm also running some tests on 90's widow x exodus and those are something special...although basically the same cross, very different, as it goes...The old sensi widow x cheese cross I did long time ago and the results were epic, it just shows that the exceptional parents make the exceptional kids..LOL not necessarily the line, its all about the selection..But back to haze...Sorry even the above pics are hybrid but I said I'd take some and post so..I'll put the other hybrid pics in the hybrid thread..

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Slime in the rez..you either go alive, or dead IME..so inoculate with something like biodyne environoc 401 and the beneficial microbes keep things clear and fresh, or you chlorinate or chlorine dioxide etc..peroxide, ozonate, UV etc..if UV then circulate through a pond UV unit, they are not expensive..The right UV bulbs are not that expensive, probably 10-20$ guessing for a 3-4ft UVC bulb, in arse end of the world here they are still cheap less than a $100 for a pond unit that will keep a big rez clear. I've built UV things with them that I wont get into or someone will give themselves cancer and not follow instructions so people can figure that out themselves LOL..but the UV pond units work well, as well does chlorination at 1-2ppm or less if clo2, as well does living water inoculated with right microbes..depends on water/feed/scale etc..

Last edited:

TheDarkStorm

Defoliation on indoor cannabis is bro science. Defoliating some will not cause any issues, I do this in small amounts. Typically on leaves that look bad. Taking them all off is not something any does......Correction 1 person Hempy :D. The info on this is out there... I'll stay with the advice from a botanist.

You wont see any do this on outdoor plants.

Hammer have you ever seen the jungle boys grows....ther supposed to completely take everything off the plants leaving only the top.....

personally I dont like taking healthy leaves off....I have done abit of tucking but thats it....

HorseBadoritiz

I have a dehumidifier running from a garden hose going on into a 27 gal black plastic tote.

I used to use my dehuey water, until it stopped draining, and I had to take it apart. The condensate pan was full of slime, so much it blocked the overflow. Might be your rez problem?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hammer have you ever seen the jungle boys grows....ther supposed to completely take everything off the plants leaving only the top.....

personally I dont like taking healthy leaves off....I have done abit of tucking but thats it....

I have not. They are the def of hype lol.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I used to use my dehuey water, until it stopped draining, and I had to take it apart. The condensate pan was full of slime, so much it blocked the overflow. Might be your rez problem?

Yeah I'm sure it's nasty inside the dehuey. I can't really clean the insides. This one is old and borrowed. I need to get a dehuey that's easy to clean the insides but haven't ever seen one.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldnt defoliate this DC x THOH f3 ....for sure :dance013:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

image_1932925.jpg
​​