What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hard to tell with it being compressed looks like 2 different lots

looks like that to me too ,
a compressed brick and then sticks wrapped in string ,
not sure if the compressed block is just those sticks compressed ,
as you say hard to tell ,
but I've read and heard of a bunch of folks scoring these sticks with red string ,
as far away as the UK ...
they vary a little ,, but the constant is the size and the red string ...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spelling of his names sorted hammer do the same mate or we may find Donald complaining about it for decades to come.

I'm sure everyone understood what I was referring to. I didn't see it as complaining.
It's not something id grow. It seems more of a curiosity than anything else.

Breadwizard

On grinspoon, reeferman claims that it is Senior Garcia that Barney's took from him (apparently like a few more of his lines), that would make it Oregon Purple Thai x Panama Red. If one is to believe that is the case of course.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
looks like that to me too ,
a compressed brick and then sticks wrapped in string ,
not sure if the compressed block is just those sticks compressed ,
as you say hard to tell ,
but I've read and heard of a bunch of folks scoring these sticks with red string ,
as far away as the UK ...
they vary a little ,, but the constant is the size and the red string ...

The stuff that was going to the UK i think was coming from Africa Britishhemp had posted a lot of pics of it.

You can buy what there calling Thai stick molds these days to.

https://www.amazon.com/ThaiGer-Thai-Sticks-OrganitipS-Fatty/dp/B07YZB7Y2P

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The stuff that was going to the UK i think was coming from Africa Britishhemp had posted a lot of pics of it.

https://www.amazon.com/ThaiGer-Thai-Sticks-OrganitipS-Fatty/dp/B07YZB7Y2P

i don't think they had any idea where they were coming from ,
these things tend to remain a secret for good reason ,
however i do recall they had some wrapper on some with a tigerbalm emblem and asian writing ,
plus the red string and the size and shape tended to suggest they were from asia ,
but as mentioned , with an illegal substance , many techniques are used to both disguise the product ,
and also its place of origin ...
i have done that myself , point in the exact opposite direction from where the stuff actually came from ,
the buyers don't really need to know that information ....

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
i don't think they had any idea where they were coming from ,
these things tend to remain a secret for good reason ,
however i do recall they had some wrapper on some with a tigerbalm emblem and asian writing ,
plus the red string and the size and shape tended to suggest they were from asia ,
but as mentioned , with an illegal substance , many techniques are used to both disguise the product ,
and also its place of origin ...
i have done that myself , point in the exact opposite direction from where the stuff actually came from ,
the buyers don't really need to know that information ....

The reason i felt it came from Africa was it just didn't look like Thai to me but saying that a lot of modern genetics Dutch has found its way into many areas were they once grew traditional local variety's Jamaica a great example fields of NL were sativas once ruled.

The key reason is Africa's location to the EU its a much shorter root and known smuggling root for the EU.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran

https://www.amazon.com/ThaiGer-Thai-.../dp/B07YZB7Y2P

Thai stick molds...of course! Maybe the thai and laotian farmers back in the day cut a piece of dried bamboo length-wise and stuffed the hollowed out sections with bud...then tied the two halves together to cure the weed?

Once it's cured, you could take it out of the bamboo and cut it to size. They made those sticks so uniform based on the pics I've seen online...they had to be using a mold of some sort...or maybe I'm just really high right now.

That's a nice haze plant you got there, hempy...respect!

HB.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Thai stick molds...of course! Maybe the thai and laotian farmers back in the day cut a piece of dried bamboo length-wise and stuffed the hollowed out sections with bud...then tied the two halves together to cure the weed?

Once it's cured, you could take it out of the bamboo and cut it to size. They made those sticks so uniform based on the pics I've seen online...they had to be using a mold of some sort...or maybe I'm just really high right now.

HB.

Hi HB From what i understand Thai people tie all types of things to a stick its there plastic bag almost.

I tried to make a Thai stick some years ago and it did not end well i dried it but didn't cure now i know how to do it but why bother if your doing it for your self.

Thanks HB so far i am really happy with the Nevils Haze F2s .

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The reason i felt it came from Africa was it just didn't look like Thai to me but saying that a lot of modern genetics Dutch has found its way into many areas were they once grew traditional local variety's Jamaica a great example fields of NL were sativas once ruled.

The key reason is Africa's location to the EU its a much shorter root and known smuggling root for the EU.

yea its not thai ,
its laos , so it is different , but the same ,, haha ...

guys grew some of the seed and had very sativa type plants that didn't really resemble what they had purchased ,
i know you say its the genetics that control the outcome ,
which is true to a certain extent ,,
but there are ideal climates for somethings , and the outcome will be better/different in those ideal climates..
many crops are like that , apples , peaches , bananas , etc ,
they can grow many places , but grow best in a specific location/climate ...

anyhow if you look at the pics of those sticks , and the stuff from that girl ,
they are too similar not to be from the same place ... imho ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

HB.

sounds a bit laborious hb ,
those thais have clever/crafty hands ,
they make us look pretty awkward and uncoordinated in comparison ,
I'm sure they used something to get an idea of length and shape , otherwise just done when the weed was still tacky ,
a bit like the stage folks begin the jar cure , before the stems fully snap ,
and the weed was sticky enough u could make it stay in place ,
bundled together at that stage , kilo lots or however many per bundle ,

my thought is at that stage they underwent a bit of a sweat cure as they were not 100% dry when bundled,
similar to what old mate with his malawi cob sticks ,
but not as extreme ....

its hot and dry where they were made ,
without bailing them up , they would have overdried pretty quickly id say ,
based on what i have seen here during the dry season ,
it would be a rush to get them into a bag to stop them drying and beginning to crumble ...

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I've never seen weed in africa looking prepped like that..bricked up sure seen tons LOL...they would not go to that effort in africa IMO..

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
sounds a bit laborious hb ,
those thais have clever/crafty hands ,
they make us look pretty awkward and uncoordinated in comparison ,
I'm sure they used something to get an idea of length and shape , otherwise just done when the weed was still tacky ,
a bit like the stage folks begin the jar cure , before the stems fully snap ,
and the weed was sticky enough u could make it stay in place ,
bundled together at that stage , kilo lots or however many per bundle ,

my thought is at that stage they underwent a bit of a sweat cure as they were not 100% dry when bundled,
similar to what old mate with his malawi cob sticks ,
but not as extreme ....

its hot and dry where they were made ,
without bailing them up , they would have overdried pretty quickly id say ,
based on what i have seen here during the dry season ,
it would be a rush to get them into a bag to stop them drying and beginning to crumble ...

Aloha, Don! Yeah mate...I was a bit high and about 3 beers into it when I posted that...plus I got my first pahfizer vaccine dose yesterday which left me a bit loopy...the shot of whiskey when I got home didn’t help, lol

I wish someone could find out exactly how they made those sticks back in the day. They were so uniform looking from the pics I’ve seen...they must have had a standardized way of getting them to that exact size and length.

From what I’ve heard and read, the buds weren’t broken up before being tied to the stick...which made me think about some sort of mold or maybe a bamboo rolling mat like they use for making sushi rolls. They put the sticky weed in there with a stick in the middle, roll it until it’s of uniform size, then cut it into segments? They had to use something other than just their hands if I were to guess.

Anyway, hope you’re doing well mate! Garden is starting to shape up over here...got mucho seedlings to sift through with more on the way.

HB.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Im keen to see enough vaccinated so we can get back on with things ,
like international travel ,, shit i need a holiday ,, lol ..
Our government are making the usual bungle of it though ,
they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery...

i didn't know a shot of whisky and 3 beers was the standard for after the shot ,
but i do now hb , thanks man , hehehehehe ..

I'm sure your right about some sort of mold , likely bamboo as mentioned since its the most abundant thing ,
and would make the perfect template to make a neat stick ,
one thing I'm sure of is that it will have been the women doing that work ,
and having watched them work many times before ,
they are super fast and accurate with their hands ,
no wonder they moved a bunch of factory work there , they are made for that sort of repetitive work ,
and would do it with speed and accuracy ...

good luck in the garden hb ,
hope you share some shots with us on this site somewhere ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I've never seen weed in africa looking prepped like that..bricked up sure seen tons LOL...they would not go to that effort in africa IMO..

The stuff in the UK being called Thai stick looked nothing like the Thai sticks of old and it looked wet even the stuff Donald posted that is compressed coming from Laos looks nothing like the compressed Thai we saw up until say 85/86.

Bringing weed from Asia to the EU would be almost impossible a fast speed boat from the cost of Africa to Spain is not.

Here is what compressed Thai looked like when we got it up until 85/86 before it stopped.
oticon4catoz.jpg

Compare that next to the modern compressed Thai or Laos Or UK lots very different.
large_thai.jpg.c78075c944c52aeb5831c7c9267cf53c.jpg

thai-stick-2.jpg

TheDarkStorm

Not much comes like that we I am hempy now....I suppose its a lot less headache just growing it here. A good way of seeing what you got is to grow out the seeds from the stuff. I know plenty of people like to travel to south east asia, africa or india so they get a fare idea of whats what. Most of the stuff that gets sent from africa to here is wack...we used to get good nigerian and that was only cuz the guy I knew had his own route....we used to get decent thai not to long back similar to Donalds slabs..it would get stronger as it cured more. The browner or golden or blue like thai disappeared here time ago

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The imported Thai stopped around 85/86 here and towards the end the quality dropped big time yet in Thailand you could still find very good Thai in 86.

From then any one wanting Thai had to grow it them self's here after the 80s i never saw imported weed again here.

A lot of weed is grown in Albania and other places close by it makes no seance to a smuggler or syndicate to take huge risks and expenses to import from Asia when you have lots being grown on your continent or from country's that can deliver by speed boat avoiding customs.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Where i lived we had brick weed that looked the same as you posted as thai hempy in the early 90s, based on what i saw around 2008 in Thailand it was the laos brick, exactly the same pot, look , smell etc
i saw a fair bit the same but it was just bricks and didn't look like the laos that girl showed pictures of..
i guess presentation varies as with all places..

as to importing folks buy whatever they can get and a speed boat crossing international waters without a check is not safer given we have radar nowadays ...

the pictures the guys showed looked very similar to what the thai girl got from laos..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I chatted to Leet as he was in the UK at that time and i asked him you remember the so called Thai sticks coming into the UK Britishhemp had posted up he said it was Albanian grown.

I saw no more imports after the 80s here mate possible the compressed you saw was home grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts