What's new

the Hand Watering coco thread

Rollout

I've been hand watering my current grow, but next grow will be on a drip system. I agree with everything in the OP except for runoff. It's not needed in my experience. I hand water once or sometimes twice per day without runoff. The salts sometimes build this way, so to prevent that I flush once a week. In week 5 of flower now and haven't had any issues the entire grow.

You are going to make it worse if you add more calmag on top of the 100 ppm you are already whacking them with. You shouldn't need any cal mag with flora series nutes. Are you using RO? What's the temps with lights out? Do a slurry test. Way more likely the ph or ec inside the media is unbalanced than that you need more calmag.

Yes I am using RO water and my temp with lights out is 65degrees. How can test the soil pH? I have one of those cheeseball meters from Walmart but I don't count on it.

What should my ph be then???? I've noticed the consensus for coco if approximately 5.8?

Yes 5.8 would be best. If I am not mistaken 5.8 is best for veg and 6.0 is best after a couple weeks into flower where the plant will be taking up more phosphorus which is available at a higher pH. But anywhere in between 5.7-6.0 should be perfect.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
What should my ph be then???? I've noticed the consensus for coco if approximately 5.8?

The thing is what the ph of the liquid going in OR coming out doesn't mean that is the ph of the rootzone. Same with ec. If you read a lot on here about the nutes you use you'll find very few guys regularly add calmag, even with ro. Start a thread here and give more info and pictures, these guys on here can give you more help. :tiphat:

lumberjack.mr

Thanks for the tips.. I am new at this indoor stuff, and the seeds are really expensive. I have 2 - 350 LED Magenta lights on 18 /6 cycle for veg. will use the same light for flowering but in shorter cycles 12/12 with Co2 in a sealed cabinet. This is a new for me, I have always grown outdoors in the ground.. This coco stuff is not as easy as dirt. Didn't take long to figure out that one. How do I get the plants to stretch ? I want them short but they are starting to branch before the first set of fan leafs has fully developed! Beautiful little girls - short and fat and full or curves ! Wish me luck.. Never grown indoors before or in coco, should be informative to say the least.

Weeded1s

Lmbr jack you should start a thread with some pics so we can see what your working with and help u along the way. Stretching will happen no matter what but if u raise lights that can help to. Plants double and sometimes triple in size when induced to flowering inside so be careful with that.
Gluck

I also use coco as a soil medium. Mine contain 40% roots organics (coco), 5 bricks of compressed pure coco, 10% ocean forest (peat), 10% happy frog (peat), 15% black gold natural & organic (peat), 15 pounds of earthworm castings.. For veg stage i use promix bx, 1 coco brick, earthworm worm castings & sum vermiculite

Lookin to start using a wand for my veg and was hoping someone could point in the right direction of a good pump.

Pump would be in a 20 gal res, through about 10' of standard 5/8 garden hose to the wand.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Snow Crash

Veteran
Lookin to start using a wand for my veg and was hoping someone could point in the right direction of a good pump.

Pump would be in a 20 gal res, through about 10' of standard 5/8 garden hose to the wand.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Mag Drive Supreme utility pumps are the best that I have come across. They have plenty of umph for longer runs and higher heights. The 5/8"s connection I am not so sure about...

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
around 100-150 dollar mini sump. i forget the brands but at almost every grow store they carry these. ive used that for years. i think of them as disposable in a sense though. its easy to burn em out. i get a couple years out of one if im good to it. harbor freight any hardware store. if you are shopping at harbor freight and youre spending a hundred bucks on a pump they have in line 1.25 hp booster pumps stainless steel and black and you can plug em in to a power strip with a button. pretty boss. i switched to the booster pumps for my hydro autofeed but i would use them over the sump for what youre doing. for ten or 20 extra bucks you can buy the swap out warranty. if it breaks (and some do) take it in and get a new one easy peasy.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
this has some awesome built in features but the mounting hardware is terrible and doesnt support the heavy part on top very well. i had to get my own union to replace theirs. but 130 bucks with a trade in warranty no questions asked how can you go wrong.
or if you want to just manually turn off and on your pump or wire in a pressure switch or pump relay for automatic start on demand. theres this more simple modekl.
350 less than a grundfos. grundfos is awesome though, i have one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-12-h...-with-stainless-steel-housing-69303-8708.html
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-Horsepower-Portable-Sprinkling-Pump-69304.html

around 100-150 dollar mini sump. i forget the brands but at almost every grow store they carry these. ive used that for years. i think of them as disposable in a sense though. its easy to burn em out. i get a couple years out of one if im good to it. harbor freight any hardware store. if you are shopping at harbor freight and youre spending a hundred bucks on a pump they have in line 1.25 hp booster pumps stainless steel and black and you can plug em in to a power strip with a button. pretty boss. i switched to the booster pumps for my hydro autofeed but i would use them over the sump for what youre doing. for ten or 20 extra bucks you can buy the swap out warranty. if it breaks (and some do) take it in and get a new one easy peasy.

this has some awesome built in features but the mounting hardware is terrible and doesnt support the heavy part on top very well. i had to get my own union to replace theirs. but 130 bucks with a trade in warranty no questions asked how can you go wrong.
or if you want to just manually turn off and on your pump or wire in a pressure switch or pump relay for automatic start on demand. theres this more simple modekl.
350 less than a grundfos. grundfos is awesome though, i have one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-12-h...-with-stainless-steel-housing-69303-8708.html
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-Horsepower-Portable-Sprinkling-Pump-69304.html

Thanks for chiming in man.

Those both just seem like complete overkill for my situation looking at the HP rating.

I use these 1/6hp Flotec Utility pumps from HD to get water from my rezs through poly flex vinyl tubing to drippers on my tables in my flower room

e44bad6e-777e-4e3a-bc84-bd87041e6178_400.jpg

These things pack a major punch so I just kinda assumed for a watering wand I would need something even weaker than that...

Looking at the prices I might just get another flotec pump and find some reducers to be able to plug a garden hose into it. Only thing I'm not sure about is having pressure build up when using it with a wand - in my flower room when they click on obviously the water travels straight through the drippers so there's no build up with pressure, whereas with a wand in the veg room there would be pressure build up. Hmmmm....

Mag Drive Supreme utility pumps are the best that I have come across. They have plenty of umph for longer runs and higher heights. The 5/8"s connection I am not so sure about...

This might actually look more in line with what I'm looking for. The "2" model reportedly moves 360gph whereas the flotec I listed above is 1470gph...

I'll have to look into them some more, thank u for the rec :tiphat:

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
16-24 hrs if its tap...i leave mine in and running at all times after nutes are added.

WatonV

Hi Bonecarver! I have read aaaaall the pages of the thread jejeje
I have one question, im using atami awa leaves a+b for veg, im growing 9 plants in a 2'x2' tent with a 250hps with cooltube.
Well the thing is im growing 12/12 from seed in 3L pots with pure coco choir from biobizz.
I have different strains so hand watering is a must!

Well the question is, my tap water is really hard ( im from chile in south america and i live near the beach) the EC is 0.8, i have a ro system also. I have made calmag with epsom salts and calcium nitrato in relation 3cal/1mag.
Well now comes the question, what do you think is best, use pure RO and add calmag till it reaches EC 0.3 and then add nutes? Or, add tap water to my ro water till it reaches 0.3EC?

Im using atami awa leaves a+b (i have them from before, i wanna buy powder feeding next)
And AN connoiseur a+b for flowering.
Also i have for boosts, canabiogen Delta9, AN big bud, bud candy, overdrive, and ata bloombastic, im gonna alternate over and bloombastic
For roots rootbastic, piranha, and ata rootfast

How much water do i gave the girls in their first week? And how often?

Thanks a lot!!

DONAJTHEIII

Hi Bonecarver! I have read aaaaall the pages of the thread jejeje
I have one question, im using atami awa leaves a+b for veg, im growing 9 plants in a 2'x2' tent with a 250hps with cooltube.
Well the thing is im growing 12/12 from seed in 3L pots with pure coco choir from biobizz.
I have different strains so hand watering is a must!

Well the question is, my tap water is really hard ( im from chile in south america and i live near the beach) the EC is 0.8, i have a ro system also. I have made calmag with epsom salts and calcium nitrato in relation 3cal/1mag.
Well now comes the question, what do you think is best, use pure RO and add calmag till it reaches EC 0.3 and then add nutes? Or, add tap water to my ro water till it reaches 0.3EC?

Im using atami awa leaves a+b (i have them from before, i wanna buy powder feeding next)
And AN connoiseur a+b for flowering.
Also i have for boosts, canabiogen Delta9, AN big bud, bud candy, overdrive, and ata bloombastic, im gonna alternate over and bloombastic
For roots rootbastic, piranha, and ata rootfast

How much water do i gave the girls in their first week? And how often?

Thanks a lot!!

Too many bottles going on above lol relax and keep it simple.

No cal mag needed

Mix in tap water to ro until around 100ppm and your good to go :D

Then feed around 1.0-1.2ec

Btw hows the tree in south america and laws if there are any lmao

Water until you see water coming out the bottom also water when the pot feels light and you see top layer drying out.

AJAE