What's new

the Hand Watering coco thread

Can you explain this? I find that odd. The cec for perlite is non existent, so mixed with coco would lower the overall cec and I cant see how this would do anything other than aerate the medium, so its not retaining as much.. am I wrong?

I've used it both ways and the plants that were a coco/perlite mixture always held less water before draining....I like straight coco the best...

Green lung

Veteran
I find that the perlite with coco causes too much retention. We have a plant that is in quarantine as it may have some type of rot problem. It's straight Canna coco for us.

I think you have it backwards, perlite will cause less retention

Jbonez

Veteran
No worries friends and those who dont have the time or patience to hand water your coco also a perfect nutrient mix that will never do you wrong.
First for your sake and the sake of time please looke into this product its called a blu-mat I'm sure you've heard plenty of people mention these things and I can honestly say it was the best 80 dollar investment I've ever made. http://www.greenandclean.ca/hydropo...-baskets-pots-and-grow-bags/tropf-blumat.html
Second get yourself a nice 50 gallon resovior for your blu-mats.
Last but not least especially for you new comers stick to the LUCAS formula can find threads about it.
Use whatever kind of coco you prefer its doesnt matter your plants will be recieving nutrients all day eerrrry day from the slow drip of the Blu-mat system and a plant that eats all day grows all day.......Think about it

I wouldnt recommend Lucas for coco, there isnt a one size fits all nutrient, every plants needs need to be custom tailored..

Lucas is a tad high in some regards and has always proven to be problematic in bloom.. H3ads method is yielding better results..

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldnt recommend Lucas for coco, there isnt a one size fits all nutrient, every plants needs need to be custom tailored..

Lucas is a tad high in some regards and has always proven to be problematic in bloom.. H3ads method is yielding better results..
Exactly !!! which is why there are coco specific nutrients . lucas will not work for coco unless you tailor it to what coco needs .... such as heads formula . HR's veg & bloom is working very well for coco even though its a hydroponic formula .... but he has a coco formula also .

I like a 1 inch layer in the bottom of my coco pots so that if they have to sit in the runoff longer than expected .... the perilite won't wick up the runoff water . & it does help with drainage so the coco doesn't stay saturated .

The one main thing i love about coco is the root system that builds in coco . i've never seen anything like this in soils or promix . Never !!!
DSC01863.jpg

Jbonez

Veteran
Nice dansbud! Ima try the perlite in the bottom trick, thx for the pic, roots look great, you running any bennies?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use a touch of great white in my cloning water ... thats it :)
But my nutes are pretty much all salts so i doubt they live once i start feeding .

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Simple question. If im feeding @ 1.3 ec, but only gettin .5 ec runoff and plants look hungry, wouldnt the natural thing be to up the ec goin in? Now if i upped the ec to 1.9 and runoff is around 1.1-1.2 and plants still looks hungry, what does that tell you?

Stay Safe

ltkipras

One thing I learned coco is that you can over water coco, when you put your finger a couple inches inside it might mistake you if it is dry or not how i check if it's dry a take alil of it and squeze hard between my fingers, if I see water coming out I don't water.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Simple question. If im feeding @ 1.3 ec, but only gettin .5 ec runoff and plants look hungry, wouldnt the natural thing be to up the ec goin in? Now if i upped the ec to 1.9 and runoff is around 1.1-1.2 and plants still looks hungry, what does that tell you?

Stay Safe

Id leave the ec the same and feed more often..

mgk :tiphat:

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Id leave the ec the same and feed more often..

mgk :tiphat:

Hey Maynard.
Leave it at 1.3 yes? Cause feeding @ 1.9 in veg seems very high. Your advice about upping the frequency sounds right. Roots are litteraly bursting out of the pots, sporting hydro looks. I have never seen roots this massive.

Stay Safe

HarryM

Emergency flushing with Coco

Emergency flushing with Coco

After my mentor told me to change how I feed, using A.N. nutes (please, I don't want to hear about AN evils!), based on Canna's top scientist's recommendations, and I did change. But, within 1 week my run-off ppm was over 2000 on all plants and 2900 on two! I have about 30 plants in flowering. I have been flushing for three days. I flush when the plants need feeding. I live in on Vancouver Island where the ppm of our village water, from glacier melt) is about 12! Has anyone had this situation before? If so, how did you go about correcting the issue? Thanks in advance.

After my mentor told me to change how I feed, using A.N. nutes (please, I don't want to hear about AN evils!), based on Canna's top scientist's recommendations, and I did change. But, within 1 week my run-off ppm was over 2000 on all plants and 2900 on two! I have about 30 plants in flowering. I have been flushing for three days. I flush when the plants need feeding. I live in on Vancouver Island where the ppm of our village water, from glacier melt) is about 12! Has anyone had this situation before? If so, how did you go about correcting the issue? Thanks in advance.

So, your flushing at the end of harvest? Make sure you drain the runoff so the plants can't suck it back up...

HarryM

So, your flushing at the end of harvest? Make sure you drain the runoff so the plants can't suck it back up...
No, not harvesting yet. It's the third week of bloom. I have flushed all plants which now show a ppm of around 1300. I always remove run off asap, well within the "15 minute limit".

Well, I'm finishing a grow using AN Sensi and I would lower the ppm's you are feeding... If your ppm's are higher than what you are feeding its because you are feeding them too strong a mixture...

HarryM

Well, I'm finishing a grow using AN Sensi and I would lower the ppm's you are feeding... If your ppm's are higher than what you are feeding its because you are feeding them too strong a mixture...
I agree and that is what I have done. My mentor is trying a new feeding schedule which ignores ppm coming out, so he does a feed-feed-flush schedule. He DOES sell nutes but I'm not comfortable with his new system so I have gone back to a more conservative schedule. BTW, I use A.N. Grow, Micro, Bloom and B52, plus a bit of cal-mag when flushing. Also, he is telling me I need to use a very mild (ppm 100-200) of Bud Booster or another nitrogen free dealie. I have always used just water. Go Figure!

richy

co co

co co

hi im new to this site n just wanting a little info if poss.its my 2nd grow in coco n not doin very well lots of defs brown spots on leaves at first then turned hole plant leaves brown n crispy leaves eventully died at end of grow there were nealy no leaves left but still got 2 oz ish per plant any advice would be benificial thanks

HarryM

Sounds like nute burn from too high ppm in runoff. Had the exact same issue. See my earlier post. Do you have a ppm meter?