What's new

the Hand Watering coco thread

thanks for the dank info bonecarver.....you say N is the enemy of potency! please elaborate! i have had trouble putting on a good cryst. set in the past but recently got a dehumid which seems to help but maybe ive been too zealous with the nitrogen!

in less experienced grows i would gradually increase a base Bloom nute week by week

however, recently ive learned about boosting and i "think" the better technique is to start with a level of base bloom nute say? between 500-1000ppm depending on set up, run this level and never increase, add a PK booster week 3-4? throughout the grow, THEN! is it a good idea to actually decrease the base nute later in the grow while keeping PK boost constant.?!? this seems to be the right track, right????

i learned very early on that increasing a base nute, with increasing N levels every week, the buds are verrrry leavy! not a good thing

G

Greyskull

so where can we read up on this 'pistolwhipped' methid of pruning?
i have done some searching for it and i cannot seem to find a damn thing.
any help would be much appreciatted

chemsteady

very well...

very well...

thanks, bone. that will help to steer me in the right direction. do you ever veg outdoors then bring the girls in to bloom?

i ask because a friend of mine gave me some well rooted clones that i promptly put into either straight coco or coco/perlite/a little grorox mixed in (cause i had em laying around from my dwc grows) and they have been jamming! in anycase, the biggest one he actually had on his ebb table, and this chick was not doing well, about 15 in tall, tons of discoloration, just bad news. two and a half weeks later, shes about three feet tall, bushy as hell, healthy and already showing preflowers.

shes definitely staying in the backyard, but her sisters are much smaller (theyre in 1 gal pots while the fat girl is in a wide 5 gal) and i was thinking of throwing them in my 2x2 grow tent (i harvest my LAST dwc grow in about a week or so~i love coco!) maybe doing a small sog.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, mr carver. i forget to mention, im NOT using coco specific nutes, flora nova grow to feed the stretch into bloom, then straight lucas formula (ratio). i toss in a little superthrive every now and again when i water with ro, plus hygrozyme--which, id love to get an opinion on--once a week. the nutes are just what i have (im a huge lucas disciple/fan) from my hydro project. to be honest, i dont know if id change to coco specific nutes, the gh gear has been so easy, and the plants are thriving! ok, bone-you the man--let me know what you think.
peace.
ps. anyone know any good rosy cheeks threads. that guy has his shit locked down, id love to pick his brains...

S

SpadesThaDon

Im growin in coco, and Im hand watering, Its my 1st, so Im not really up to par with all these PPM's and PH's, but I have browning, towards the center of my leaves, only on 2 or 3 of my VERY top leaves, I'm about 50 days into flower, and I just want my baby to make it....any advice on what the browning may b? it's not a LARGE area, but it's noticeable, and has slightly gotten worse, and its at the center of the leaf, kould it b a nitrogen defeiciency?

B

bonecarver_OG

you NEED to have a ph meter or the drops for measuring with a colour chart. VERY important...

it DOES NOT sound like a N defiancy.

what nutes do you use?

S

SpadesThaDon

Im using a blend of Flora-Nova, Flora-Licious, Flora blend, with a bit of "Grandma's" molasses, mixed in with their drinking water every other watering... And i have Peruvian Sea Bird guano thaqt ive let sit in water, and watered down 3 times, because 1 of them got burnt the 1st time I gave it to them, only a bit, but those leaves r gone now, and that plant does fine with it as the others do, they love it, once i started using it, they got that really deep green going on, my only concern is the slight brownig on the 1, its late into flower, and she looks lovely other than that, I just want to get her to cut date with the least amount of stress for her....and me....lol

B

bonecarver_OG

my experience says guano does not work well in COCO.

it might be the guano...

also it doesnt sound like you are using coco specific nutes, that also usually causes trouble.

S

SpadesThaDon

Really?? well my OG Kush x Mandala Satori seems to love it, but they'll b getting their last nutes very soon, but I'll stop giving it to the 1, she's GDP x Mandala Satori, hopefully u're right, thanx for the info man, preciate it!

B

bonecarver_OG

as allways...

bet results in coco is gonna be with coco nutes...

peace!

Wait...What?

Veteran
GH FLora and Floranova series work just fine in coco IF the pH is in range.

sounds like mag def to me - krinkly, curly, crunchy? creeping yellow annoyance? tap water sucks.

B

bonecarver_OG

GH FLora and Floranova series work just fine in coco IF the pH is in range.

sounds like mag def to me - krinkly, curly, crunchy? creeping yellow annoyance? tap water sucks.

actually its not really the same thing - since using NON coco based nutes in a ph range not suitable for coco will allways give trouble. adding lots of additives just shows the nutes are cra-... ehm not properly designen for this medium.

anyone hustling about with floranova and etc in coco just need to do one round of canna coco nutes and i bet you your crop you wont go back ;) :abduct: :woohoo:

just because coco can be used as a traditional hydroponic medium, doesnt mean it excells in that line of use.

there is a reason there is 30 years of research into coco growing in canna.. while other nute companies maybe spent their time on hydro...

Canna kicks ass

chemsteady

hmmm...

hmmm...

bc, do you think its possible for a non specific nute, (lets say gh flora series or even floranova) to perform as well, if not better than a coco specific nute, (lets say canna)? i mean, canna didnt reinvent the wheel, theyre simply following a nutritional formula, a formula that we can quantify, and duplicate, "using non-coco specific" nutes, like gh. if you dont believe me, go check out h3ads thread. modified lucas formula (6g 9b) and nothing else really. his plants speak for themselves. the canna line seems really solid, but they also offer different additives to accompany the basic a+b. by your own rationale, that would make them an inferior product, no? that reasoning doesnt make sense.

i am in total agreement with you about additives, however. i feel like additives fall into two places; those that build the gardeners confidence, but ultimately do very little, and those that put band aids on bigger problems. imo, we should all spend a little more time making sure the things we can control (light, ventilation, PROPER nutrition, etc.) are dialed in and less time feeding our gardens magic~bud~grow~yield~enhancer in a bottle.

G

Greyskull

just wanted to give you all a heads up
BE SURE YOU ARE CHECKING FOR BUGS AND IDENTIFYING CORRECTLY

my dumbass thought i had simple fungus gnats, but nooooooo.... i was blessed with phylloxera... http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=70503

stay on top of your shit and don't slip! i lost heavy yeild fucking around don;t be a dumbass like me.

now back to your regularly scheduled BONE programming hehe

B

bonecarver_OG

chemsteady.

using coco as a hydroponic medium and using regular hydroponic nutes, as stated before might work well. BUT,

A COCO SPECIFIC nutricion REGIME will allways cause less trouble, and thus its superior.

eaze of use man

thats the key.

the whole idea with this thread is to be able to grow very good bud with no mayor worries or stress, having CANNA A and B is really all you need to grow good bud.

canna does nutricion for hydroponic, soil, and coco, and also for all other needs, meaning single mineral nutrients to aid defiancies etc caused by improper methods.

this is not "additivies" as i see it, since they are not all necesary to grow in coco with their nutes.

only thing needed to grow outstanding BUD in CANNA COCO;

coco A+B nutes
PK 13-14
tapwater

thats it, the rest is extras, rhizotonic is not a necesitiy, neither is any of the other products of canna.

B

bonecarver_OG

handwatered nugs...

during flush - hey thats why there is some ugly leaf :D hehehehe

B

bonecarver_OG

uhm yeah.. my indoor temps are around 30º celsius

i think coco handles heat better than any other medium i tried. it seems it insulates the roots :D

T

tricky

chemsteady.

using coco as a hydroponic medium and using regular hydroponic nutes, as stated before might work well. BUT,

A COCO SPECIFIC nutricion REGIME will allways cause less trouble, and thus its superior.

eaze of use man

thats the key.

the whole idea with this thread is to be able to grow very good bud with no mayor worries or stress, having CANNA A and B is really all you need to grow good bud.

canna does nutricion for hydroponic, soil, and coco, and also for all other needs, meaning single mineral nutrients to aid defiancies etc caused by improper methods.

this is not "additivies" as i see it, since they are not all necesary to grow in coco with their nutes.

only thing needed to grow outstanding BUD in CANNA COCO;

coco A+B nutes
PK 13-14
tapwater

thats it, the rest is extras, rhizotonic is not a necesitiy, neither is any of the other products of canna.

listen to this guy everything he has stated is spot on .

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
^^^^^ agreed...on my first coco run i used biobizz nutes with my coco..man what a fucking nightmare i had MG/CAL probs(i could not get it sorted)..my ph was bang on, yet the plants struggled,,,i also mixed some coco with biobizz soil ,,man that just as much greef.... i got sick off mixing nutes after nutes after nutes,,think i had the bio bizz range :wallbash:.....

so i made more changes,,and now am sticking with this,,piss easy,,,1half years later growing with this stuff. i think i can safely say,,to get this best outa your coco , use coco nutes

now all i use is
Bcuzz coco
Bio nova A/B
Bio nova pk 13/14

i do have some other thing like epson salt, molasses,CA15%,,but i only use if needed,,,molasses for my 2 week flush

keep it green
highlander

B

bonecarver_OG

:D its good to have at home some aidss - if necesity comes around.

better be safe than sorry.

the problem is if a specific nute regime makes it necesary to ad epsom salts for example, allways, then id rather stick to the nute that doesnt make me have to use one more ingredient.

it saves a lot of time in the long run..