What's new

the Hand Watering coco thread

Sweet Inc.

Alright, I'll let them dry for a bit still. They just look hungry and haven't been fed anything serious yet... I'll take ur word for it, still:D

B

bonecarver_OG

stop foliar feeding gh micro... to me it doesnt seem to be a good idea to add more nutes of other brands to them at this stage...

there is a risk the foliar feeding is the cause of the trouble. ...

Btw, this thread is some critical info for anyone starting out with coco.

Absolutely. This is one of the main threads that helped me turn things completely around from my first grow to my 2nd in coco. Thank you bonecarverOG and everyone else that contributed to this coco section. And I'm still learning new things and better methods from this thread to keep improving.

An analogy I've thought of on how to grow in coco. A Buffet Restaurant.

I view the plants as the customers. You gotta keep the customers happy. The coco is a buffet table where I can put the food for the customers (plants). If you put too little food there, the customers are not happy with the selection. If you put too much food out there, the customers are not happy because they are sick from eating way too much, (or the food goes bad, you pick).

So like a buffet manager, you have to find the right amount of food to stock the buffet with. Nute level.

But you also want the food to taste good. The right ph range.

And you also want the food to be the right temperature. Water temperature not too hot or cold. I keep it 68-72F water temp when I water.

And then you have to know how often to re-stock the buffet table. Waterings. How often to water I guess depends on the size of your buffet table (pot size) how big your plants are, and how much light you have mostly. Trial and error and do what works for you, cause I don't think the same would work for everyone.

Like a buffet table, the more often you re-stock that table the less food you will need to use. Watering once every three days is quite different than watering three times a day, not to say one is better than the other. I'd just bet the person watering three times a day is using or can use a much lower nute level than the one going three days between watering. Both may get awesome results, I would imagine. Just different styles. But if you choose the watering more often style, try a lower nute level.

What ml/gal or ml/liter level you should use is hard advice for anyone to give, because like the buffet there are many variables involved in what the right amount of nutes are. Start low and watch closely worked for me.

That fun rant brought to you by Mandala's Sadhu. :joint:

Sweet Inc.

I've had good results in the past with the foliar micro, in soil and in hydro. Gave them a light spray, plain water spray about 6h later, and 24h later the green did change a shade darker. Lil' ones are trucking along, slowly growing, the pots are getting lighter, for the greater relief of me:woohoo: Maby I should ellaborate on the nutes: My tap EC is 0.11, and there might be a +-0.1 error window there because of my meter, so the actual feeds without tap ec have been around 0.2 to about 0,5EC.

Thanks for sharing with a coco noob, I been growing for some years now but this is a whole new rollercoaster ride.:1help:
Good analogy, BobbleheadJed!
Sry 4 the bad pic quality, but to give yous a better idea of my setup: (hand fed atm untill who knows)
:

hey bone when i flushed i was feeding ph water at 5.6 and the run off was coming out at 6.5, .9 higher... the ec was going in around 0.5 and was coming out ok at 0.6 0.8. i gave them plenty of water but the ph doesnt drop much. i must have gave 60litres for 6 plants. the top leaves are coming through a nice green colour instead the illuminous yellow. but what measures do i take to get a run off around 6.2 when i start feeding again, should i feed it in at a ph of 5.4 to get a run off around 6.3??? im a bit puzzled

hey bone when i flushed i was feeding ph water at 5.6 and the run off was coming out at 6.5, .9 higher... the ec was going in around 0.5 and was coming out ok at 0.6 0.8. i gave them plenty of water but the ph doesnt drop much. i must have gave 60litres for 6 plants. the top leaves are coming through a nice green colour instead the illuminous yellow. but what measures do i take to get a run off around 6.2 when i start feeding again, should i feed it in at a ph of 5.4 to get a run off around 6.3??? im a bit puzzled

padster it may help if you filled out one of those infirmary question lists so we had access to your info in one place as a suggestion if you think it would benefit you.

You have 3 inch tall clones in 10 liter pots and you've provided your nute regime. I don't remember seeing what you are doing for lights but your temperatures were good. I'm also curious how big the roots of the clones were when you put them in those pots. It can take clones a few days for the roots to catch up after being put into their pots. Also what temperature is the water you use when you water them, that can screw with things if its a big temperature change for them. I don't experience with tap water like yours and that is one place to look. Sorry, its hard to tell what you are up against right now, but good luck.

B

bonecarver_OG

padster - feed with ph 6.0 and up your nutes a bit :D

im sure you have flushed enough...

other than that - im with jed on this one - give them some time and they should be ok.

peace :D

Grand daddy purple gdp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey all wanted to get your thoughts on where I should head and maybe what youre doing with the same strain... day 42 flower 3gallon pure coco pots hand watered every 3 days drain to waste last feeding I gave gh hardwater micro 8 ml gallon 16ml bloom 5 cal mag 7 diamond nectar and 11 grams of kool bloom based on 15 gallons of water 5.8 ph 1220 ppms.....what are your thoughts with this strain and what im doing ? and if youre also doing the same strain how is your success

B

bonecarver_OG

using non coco nutes in coco is just complicating things un-necesary. for eaze of use buy some coco-specific nutes. also i would water much more often than that using chem nutes.

best of luck :D

cannaboy

Growing in coco.

Growing in coco.

also when looking to buy a nutrient range for this substrate try and buy one that has a seperate a+b for veg and flower this way they transfer and go into flower much smoother. You can get the A+B veg for £15 and the same for bloom. 4ltrs for £30 is a lot for your money. As you should never go over an E.C of 2.0 it will last ages.... If you only clone and veg for 3 weeks maximum. Always keep a moist cultivated surface and feed with 20% run off and always check th E.C and PH of run off before throwing it.. and remember FEED ONCE WATER ONCE with PH correct water this is important if you want to see improvments overfeeding is the no 1 thing newbys do. This is the best method for hand feeding in pots to insure no toxic sals build up, and you can regulate the PH at the same time bang on makes big differences 50g per plant difference. And remember you need the grow and bloom on coco as it is inert all boosters, tonics and such are not needed to grow pungent 1 touch homegrown dutch. I use them on sick or week plants but for cheeper harvests only use a little if they need it. for a beginner canna A+B is good but iguana juice is the BEST!!!!! Healthy plants will yield massive on just water alone. happy growing

bonecarver you always speak of coco specific nutes....i personally am using FN on my first run with 50/50 coir/chips. most seem to have 3-0-3s right? then supp. with PK mid through late. but whatelse is at work besides low P......why low P by the way

also when looking to buy a nutrient range for this substrate try and buy one that has a seperate a+b for veg and flower this way they transfer and go into flower much smoother. You can get the A+B veg for £15 and the same for bloom. 4ltrs for £30 is a lot for your money. As you should never go over an E.C of 2.0 it will last ages.... If you only clone and veg for 3 weeks maximum. Always keep a moist cultivated surface and feed with 20% run off and always check th E.C and PH of run off before throwing it.. and remember FEED ONCE WATER ONCE with PH correct water this is important if you want to see improvments overfeeding is the no 1 thing newbys do. This is the best method for hand feeding in pots to insure no toxic sals build up, and you can regulate the PH at the same time bang on makes big differences 50g per plant difference. And remember you need the grow and bloom on coco as it is inert all boosters, tonics and such are not needed to grow pungent 1 touch homegrown dutch. I use them on sick or week plants but for cheeper harvests only use a little if they need it. for a beginner canna A+B is good but iguana juice is the BEST!!!!! Healthy plants will yield massive on just water alone. happy growing

"feed once water once"
i thought with coco you should give nutes everytime, even if you decide to be a pussy about it and lower the dosages, i still thought you should apply every time. switching from a high PPM to a verrrrry diluted low PPM, from the plain water, would probably piss off the plant right????

i mean im new to the game and personally like to use a technique of applying a high ppm medium run off, then, water with a slightly lower ppm with high run off. if you keep repeating the cycle the plant seems to like it!!! and you get good flushing action.

what is bonecarvers thought on this

B

bonecarver_OG

coco specific nutes - nutes that are made for coco. today there is several lines of products available. amongst others, canna coco, hesi coco etc..

there is several methods of growing in coco, and most of them have good results. this is because not all grows are alike, and not all strains want same conditions. but one thing is for sure - COCO has a QUITE HIGH retaining capacity and it WILL work as a buffer with nutes etc. so basicly in one flush the nutes wont be flushed out entirelly. this means using the tech of "feed once water once" actually can work well. the plants hardly will notice any minor fluctuations in nute regime.

becarefull not feeding too much N in those feedings since in my opinion thats the biggest enemy of potent ganja :D if u feed once strong and then once light - i think your plants would most likelly maybe work well with one lower dose. for example, if you feed once 25/25 and then 15/15 - i think itd be better to go for the middle - 20/20 in each feeding. and only when the plants show it give higher doses. also i think it is very beneficial to feed slighly lower doses every now and then. this helps eliminate salt build up very effectivelly. and as i said before the plants will not suffer.

for example if my main nute dosage is 20/20 - i water sometimes with 15/15 if i see for example DARK LEAVES. over nuting is the biggest problem when its a question of growing good ganja. a overnuted palnt will never do her best. its allways best to rather go on the LOW-side of things. thats because thats how the plants LIKE IT.

feeding higher doses of N will give darker green plants, but it is allways on the cost of potency.

peace

chemsteady

how exciting, my first post, hehe. ive been lurking in the threads (read this one twice) for months, decided its time to get involved. just want to start off by saying gracias, primo, to bone for starting this thread, and second to all of you out in the world, for asking and answering all these nit picky questions, we spend our days worrying about.m makes a coco newbies life so much easier.
question for you bone: i too am growing coco outdoors, (probably at the same latitude as you, son. oaklandia and the south of spain, partners in (NON) crime, no?) and was wondering your pruning regiment. i know eden co-op follows the pistlewhipped method of pruning, but i wasnt exactly sure about your schedule, ie. two weeks before 12/12, topping early, etc. im sure you chop indoors, does this differ from your outdoor grows? hey, thanks again bone, and all you stoners, doing the next level shit. peace.

B

bonecarver_OG

chemsteady - i mostly start picking off lower branches early on in veg, also i top the plants to get more tips very early, normally at about 5-6 nodes.

the pistol whipping starts really just before flowering for me - i do first round of removal first day in 12/12. after a week or two i remove more depending on how they stretch,, same again after about an other week, and finally after about 2-3 weeks when all renegade shoots are taken off most strains have just tips left with very vigorous growth. more sativa leaning plants get a continuos treatment depending on how much they veg/stretch etc

Latest posts

Latest posts