What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Anyone have a good source of Burlap?

I found 10 oz burlap 60" x 100 yards for about $230. Can cut that in half and have 200 yards worth for wrapping planters. Hoping someone might have a better deal.

Also, anyone recommend a good way to fasten the burlap around the planters, other then gorilla tape ^^?

Thanks,
Mr

p.s. Anyone else experiencing a lot of wind X.X ?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Anyone have a good source of Burlap?

I found 10 oz burlap 60" x 100 yards for about $230. Can cut that in half and have 200 yards worth for wrapping planters. Hoping someone might have a better deal.

Also, anyone recommend a good way to fasten the burlap around the planters, other then gorilla tape ^^?

Thanks,
Mr

p.s. Anyone else experiencing a lot of wind X.X ?

I just wrapped some of my outdoor plants with burlap today, and I used zip ties to fasten it around them.

download.jpg

well here are my little runts. They are only about two feet tall now. They sure are getting a lot bigger from when I started. thanks again everyone :)

M

MediNice

Hey Trinity, Are you using that foundation 1-0-1 as your base fertilizer for now? I haven't bought my nutes for the season yet and was wondering what I can get away with in my gravity fed 1100 gallon tank with drip tube 1gph emitter system. I want mostly organic, but am not religious. I'm toying with the idea of pbp, Roots trinity, and pro-tekt for my UP. Everything totalled is about to run 8k on nutes!!!! I'm hoping of a cheaper solution with quality.

Also, anyone know of a brix mix alternative? Y'all wiped PV out!!! hmm......

Will be joining yall soon with pics.... unleashing the 7 patient 300 gal smarties of Purps Flat X OG, BD, Green Crack, SD, GDP, Matanuskan Myst, Purple Kush, Lavender, and others.

I am wondering which of you guys are running nutrients and which are going straight organic. I am curious to see everyones recipe for veg and flowering compost tea, as well as a nutrient line up for veg and flowering?

So far I have only used toms soil mix along with the brix mix foliar spray and a calcium foliar I just started alternating last week. That alone I have seen a noticable difference, but would love to come up with some other boosters.

Up here the rest of the week is supposed to be sunny with a day or two of clouds. I am hoping for the sun though.

T

Trinity Gold

No the Foundation 1-0-1 is just a soy bean based carb source with vitamins and other stuff that is part of what I am using. 8K of nutes huh? Sounds like you're being taken to the bank!

plough

Forget about root bound, and all these other ridiculous "move plants up one pot at a time" theories, they are all for folks who never mastered the art of watering. Yep, Fill will teach us a thing or two this year, mark my words. Kill it big Fill.

I guess soon it's time to go ahead and try to tackle the ultimate challenge, The rarely spoke of truth that many of us can spot in each others gardens in a blink of the eye come Sept. Soil born diseases, and what we'll do to stay on top and head them off at the pass.

I'm curious what does watering have to do with plants getting rootbound?

M

MediNice

That's why I am still nutrientless, my soil ferts are running out, but i need bottled ferts for ease and consistancy. I'm an indoor gardener, and new to the whole raw amendments and teas. I'm trying to run a 14 pallet garden by myself, and have skin cancer, so I can't be out in the sun a lot. I rekin' the foundation 1-0-1 is like a Trinity.

Tom Hill

Veteran
I'm curious what does watering have to do with plants getting rootbound?

I wasn't very clear was I? :D

My point I was trying to make was this. A lot of folks understand that once a plant is rootbound growth slows and it is an uphill battle. What they should understand rather is that as soon as a single root finds a limit (the edge of a container), growth slows. So there is really no point in moving plants up one container at a time unless we are somehow bound to water the whole container just because it is there (thereby overwatering).

We are not bound to that though, what we should be bound to is maintaining perfect moisture levels in the root zone at all times - that should have our full attention.

If we put a small plant in a large container, but only water a small percentage of that container in the beginning (so that the moisture content does not hover above perfect for extended periods) then water more as the plant grows into it, this plant will grow much faster than a plant that was moved up one container size at a time ime.

Limiting root growth in any way/shape/form is an excellent bonsai technique, but it has no place in growing big plants. FillthePotmore (as his handle and 12x12 holes imply) understands this well from the looks of it :) -T

T

Trinity Gold

Roots Trinity and Foundation 1 0 1 really cant be compared. Roots Trinity has a fancy label and is mostly water and Foundation 1 0 1 is used to break yield records in commercial agriculture (soybean and wheat).

It's not something that will make or break your garden but using it sure does make for nice plants. Mine didn't really hiccup at all with the couple freezes we've gotten. I would recommend you get some fish hydrolysate , cold pressed kelp , and a 5 gallon bucket of molasses and call it a day

Tom Hill

Veteran
Also, anyone know of a brix mix alternative? Y'all wiped PV out!!! hmm......

Consider Earth Juice grow and catalyst a decent route until they restock Brix Mix. Dilute it well below recommended strength. You should be able to reach pH 5.8 or so without any other pH mods, as this stuff is highly acidic. The wheat malt in the catalyst is very high brix and molasses is there too. I would consider it a very fine temporary alternative. -T

M

MediNice

Thanks for the advice. Do you think a filter is necessary for 1/2" emitter tubing with 1 gph heads? I assume all of these would be purchased in liquid form.

Tom Hill

Veteran
I thought we were talking foliar feeding, this is the application for brix mix and should be the same for an alternative. Yes, EJ products will clog 1gph emitters (without filtration), for sure. Yes, in liquid form. -T

G

Ganja D

Earth juice catalyst is a great product. I've used it for years. Their micro blast is great too. Affordable and effective organics.
Great tip Tom.

nomaad

Veteran
I use the microblast too. EJ Assist is also a great saponin based wetting agent. We hit the ladies with Brix Mix for the first time this morning. They seem to love it.

Are you fucking kidding me. These plants will be 2x that size by Aug 1, then they have to stretch. I am not easily impressed and I am often cynical. I am impressed. Epic HL...you and your crew (props GanjaD) are just flat out leading the pack this year.

I owe a huge thanks to Tom as well since I am using his soil mix with added EWC, Kelp meal, crab shell, and myco's. He is camping out in the mountains........but thank you Butte - I miss your contributions for what it is worth.

As a veteran indoor grower trying his hand at outdoor for the first time, outside of knowledge of the plant itself - I owe everything I have learned or executed outdoors this year from this thread and the 5-6 wise sages - young and old - that freely share their knowledge. Every day I come in here excited about what I am going to learn. I wish everybody a great season.

Note: The following is a CO Amendment 20 legal medicinal grow high in the rockies around 8k feet. They are not big yet :comfort: but hope they will be soon. Went in 6/7, These pics were taken 6/11. The drum tops came off 6/15.

24 50 gallon girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts