What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Who are they? Sherriff? One of my buddies had them land on his property near HoneyDew. They asked to see his plants. He showed them, and they left. I guess the guerilla is a total diff game tho.

Tom,

Where are the support beems(bamboo) located? a foot outside the smart pot? do you net twice? I know your busy, do you have a link to a pic that could give me an idea on how the best way to structure it?

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi MedResearcher,

I have watered once, literally, in the last 7 weeks. And it was not even a normal watering, but a light one. Of course, rain saved me the trouble at least a couple of times over that period too. If you suspect that you are watering too much, then it is very likely that you are. Many folks will either water too much or be feeding this early before the plant settles into its new home, and have troubles getting off to a flying start because of it.

Dr.P,

No moisture meter. If I can scratch some soil away and find any sign of moisture down an inch or so, I walk away.

Use to get all sketched out when I was younger about choppers, but I am more than a bit hardened to it all now. These days, I smile and wave :wave: -they check me out several times a year, every year.

..but I am not gorilla growing either.

Layedback,

It's being put on now, so it'll be a couple of days before I can get a pic up. Basically, I drape the netting over, then put bamboo through the netting (about 1ft inside the outer edge), then tape the netting to the bamboo where it touches it. Then as the plant grows about 2 ft+ through that netting, I repeat with another layer, and more bamboo etc. I'll likely do this 3-4 times or so this year I reckon. You'll likely start with the bamboo inside of the container (unless you've outgrown it already ;) then eventually, hopefully, have to move outside of the container at which point metal Tposts may be a better option, though more expensive. I imagine though, you ought to be able to grow about 3-4ft outside of the container all around without having to have supports outside of the container. -T

nomaad

Veteran
It's being put on now, so it'll be a couple of days before I can get a pic up. Basically, I drape the netting over, then put bamboo through the netting (about 1ft inside the outer edge), then tape the netting to the bamboo where it touches it. Then as the plant grows about 2 ft+ through that netting, I repeat with another layer, and more bamboo etc. I'll likely do this 3-4 times or so this year I reckon. You'll likely start with the bamboo inside of the container (unless you've outgrown it already ;) then eventually, hopefully, have to move outside of the container at which point metal Tposts may be a better option, though more expensive. I imagine though, you ought to be able to grow about 3-4ft outside of the container all around without having to have supports outside of the container. -T

do you ever wrap around the plant in a circle or just use the drape over the top method? I, too, am interested in seeing a pic of your technique. You have explained it to me before, but sometimes have trouble visualizing after loading bongrips of the herb you bring over.

I am battling with doing 5 or 6 10' bamboo stakes around the edge of my pots and starting to train down some of the longer branches... many of whom already would reach 6-10" over the edge of the pots. Are you just letting them grow in their natural form?

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hola bro how goes it,

circle, then over the top with a second swatch fastened to the first, or, ziptie together a large swatch, drape over top, then trim to about 1ft off the ground etc.

I will likely go with the former since all you bastards bought out PVFS of the size I normally use, lol, I have to go with the 4ft stuff this first layer. I really see no difference in the two methods as far as effectiveness.

I would not train anything, the secondary branches will fill all that area in soon enough amigo. But you know me, no training for this kid, the plant knows what to do. -T

nomaad

Veteran
Hola bro how goes it,

I would not train anything, the secondary branches will fill all that area in soon enough amigo. But you know me, no training for this kid, the plant knows what to do. -T

It goes well. Hung out with HL yesterday, and it seems like I missed a good time with you at the fair. Next time, maybe I won't be so swamped.

This is what I was thinking... Those tiny little shoots at each node are going to turn into branches in no time...

I'll save the spread for the indicas.

That cross you're going to be rolling out late season sounds sick. I would love to get my head around some of that.

I thank you for the advice. Can't wait for the next round of pics. I'm just about to post up some new ones in my thread.

Keep it up. We've got the thread of the decade going on here.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Damn RootWise where were you a couple of weeks ago? :D

My nursery has been stringing me along, saying it's coming, only come to find out PV will not restock it until July7th.

Many thanks for the link brother, a lil more spendy but I have lost 30-40 branches over the last 2-3 weeks. And oh boy, they have 79" stuff and I had no clue, may come in handy later. Thanks again, and all the best to you and yours. -T

ROOTWISE

Veteran
I was ordering my trellis a couple weeks ago :D

I bet they'll wonder why they're sold out by tomorrow afternoon after I posted that!

Have fun out there man-
:)

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Hola gOvnaa, I am currently making Deep Chunk x Haze F2, should be ready in less than 8 weeks. This is the seed lot that I would be gladly stranded on a desert isle with. It's R&D stuff, I will hold back what I need then offer remnant seed @ half price ($45 a pack). Then there are several projects that I am getting ready to do this summer in a "spike crop" style, not to begin for a few weeks yet. -T
:jump:

Right on Tom! I'm really looking forward to these!

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
funny you post that. i just ordered the 3280ft roll lol. hoping to have enough trellis for a life time... or maybe just this one outdoor grow =) my idea is to put four 10ft stakes around each smart pot make a box around it real real tight, dont let the trellis loose you want MAX support. then put a nice cover over the top of the canopy i am going to tie all four corners of the top cover off to 4 trees for max support. the more firm the net the more weight your gonna get.

June 2010 Garden

June 2010 Garden

Here is a look at the 2010 Farm. Several Blue Dream clones from the 12 lb. Mother, "Butte" posted up a while back. Also in the lineup, Mental Floss clones from a Mother that yielded 10 lbs. last season. Plants were plugged in early June. There is a panoply of varieties (vast majority grown from seed)... Blue Dragon, Blue Bonic, Sweet Tooth #3 x SwT.#3, GC x HE, CJ x HE, HE x HE, LUI, Alien Kush (Clones), Deep Chunk x Bubba Kush x (Who's You're Daddy)(8 lb. Mother clone), and many others. Holes were worked with a tractor: 12x12 - 2 to 4 feet deep with several layers of worm castings, compost, manure, amendments, and native soil... rototilled and gently raked into these slightly sloped 12" high berms. Preliminary training and protective cages are 39" high with two 4' bamboo stake on two side driven 1/2' into the ground to hold in place. More to come later from my local farming community: Including photos of my "Creek" Garden, Brother's Nevada County Garden, CA Pool side garden, and My Neighbors "Top of the Hill" Garden. Many Blessings & much Respect!

Last edited:
Nevada County Farm 2010

Nevada County Farm 2010

Last year these farmers yielded very well considering the spacing between their plants and their overall hole size. 2009 they grew Master Kush (Huge beautiful Kolas) for the long season and Granddaddy Purple in their light dep... This season they widened their holes from the old school gorilla deep hole to the new thought - "The wider your hole the bigger the tree!" They are growing Pineapple, AW Goo, Blue Dream, and in the light dep. they have upped their numbers running a few Blackberry Kush and primarily Sour Diesel (should be ready for harvest in about a month).

Last edited:
Creek Garden June 2010

Creek Garden June 2010

Here are a four pics. of my Creek Garden. Raised beds are 8' to 10' in diameter. All plants were plugged in on May 28th to May 31st. Strains: Deep Chunk x Bubba Kush x (Who's Your Daddy) = unsure of the father she was crossed to but she produced some massive kolas and wasn't put in until late June... Alien Kush, Calizahr x Sweet Tooth #3, Green Crack x High End, High End x High End, Cracker Jack x High End, LUI, Time Bomb x (Blockhead or LUI), Blue Dragon, Blue Bonic, and Granddaddy Purple x Afwreck... Lights are coming down in a couple of days. I had six clones prematurely bloom on me last year; the light system "Butte" mentioned early in this thread worked great to remedy this problem. Also, had gofer problems last season, this season I made 7 gallon gofer baskets and transplanted my 5 gallon trees straight into a mix of mykros, happy frog, and the baskets. Within two weeks the roots were white and vibrant and at least 1 1/2' past the preliminary training/ protective cages. I'm impressed with these magical girls, they have been growing everyday while enjoying the sweet sounds of the creek flowing gently down her tributaries.

T

theJointedOne

love those butte county strains, the green crack x high end is awesome and so is the alien!! have fun!!!

Hash Man

OK so i called Bio Gaurd Agronomics and asked about the difference between calcium 25 for veggies ad cal25 for fruit trees. she said the one for veggies is a stronger formulation. i couldnt get a specific ratio out of her, so I am gonna go trade mine in for the right stuff.

My plants are starting to bust out or their rut. Will post up a pic or two later so you can see the new growth.

and yea that deep chunk x haze f2 sounds like fun!

localhero

hmm i thought the difference was in the particle size or something. figured the fruit tree cal 25 bottle must be pellets or something and the veggies version smaller. Both are the same price at pvfg so thats odd one would be stronger than the other.

nomaad

Veteran
Nice one HM. Glad somebody figured that out.

FillThePot: You should have some serious beasts on your hands come fall. Good luck. I like the extensions at the ends of the black box frames... I may wind up putting something like that in... did you use slip tees to connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.