What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BAKED_BEANZ

a lot harder to kill the furry pests than the chitinous ones... i don't consider myself a sadistic fuck but i can't help but go after them with caddy shack style bloodlust... lost about 10% of the garden two years ago without exclusion wire and still lost a few plants last year even with every plant having gopher cages. almost makes me want to switch to smarties... but not quite.

thinking about adopting a few barn cats this season as mammalian biocontrol agents... as long as they know its only cool to urine mark the san diego cat piss.

you need one of these :) the new gopher pro series 2 eliminater

Last edited:

*Pho20*

a lot harder to kill the furry pests than the chitinous ones... i don't consider myself a sadistic fuck but i can't help but go after them with caddy shack style bloodlust... lost about 10% of the garden two years ago without exclusion wire and still lost a few plants last year even with every plant having gopher cages. almost makes me want to switch to smarties... but not quite.

thinking about adopting a few barn cats this season as mammalian biocontrol agents... as long as they know its only cool to urine mark the san diego cat piss.

I'm on page 350 of this thread Ive been reading it for about three weeks strait so far (massive respect to all y'all) a member posted a picture of a gopher hole(on page 200 something) in a smart pot there not gopher proof

There was also talk of a product called the rodenator https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2cTz9cP9W0M that videos worth a watch if you like girls in short shorts blowing shit up

It looks good but is expensive 1200 they do look to be rentable and you can also make one yourself although I'd be uncomfortable with that

Anyway back into the shadows for another month or so

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I posted these on my thread but figured i might as well put them here too. soil test results from my 2015, 2014, and 2013 soils. What should i amend with, and how much?

in order:

-Coots Mix with Oly Mountain fish compost

-Coots Mix with Chicken Compost

-Vermifire

Attachments

• oly results 2016.jpg
    oly results 2016.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 41
  • FGLDocSP_1602116.jpg
    FGLDocSP_1602116.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 47
  • coots chicken results 2016.jpg
    coots chicken results 2016.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 48

furrywall11

I posted these on my thread but figured i might as well put them here too. soil test results from my 2015, 2014, and 2013 soils. What should i amend with, and how much?

in order:

-Vermifire

Vermifire is the third one? That's lucky....well, from my limited knowledge it doesn't look like you have any catastrophic imbalances i.e. something that would take 3 years to flush out---just a few things you need to add. Congrats

TriSierra

Vermifire is the third one? That's lucky....well, from my limited knowledge it doesn't look like you have any catastrophic imbalances i.e. something that would take 3 years to flush out---just a few things you need to add. Congrats

You referring to that great EWSF soil from yesteryear? Or have you had issues with VermiFire?

Thought EWSF was the biggest hype machine ever, worst $200/yard soil you could find. VermiSoil for $100/yard tested good and performed well, but was just too light and required too much water.

Madjag

Veteran

in order:

-Vermifire

S - Thanks for being a player and posting your test results.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i love vermifire, i dont understand why so many people talk down on it unless they have personally used it and had issues. vermifire has great drainage and worked very good with our organic topdress and foliar regime.

EWSF was also good, but i bought the early 2014 batch and didnt have any issues or imbalances. my main complaints were that i felt it needed more perlite because it was so dense and didnt drain too good... i used some 2nd year EWSF for my 2015 greenhouse and grew some of the loudest tasting sours i ever have...using it a 3rd time on some glues for this year.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
LOVE OUTDOOR RUN GLUE!
Im doing a big plant guerilla grow this year with Glue, KKSC, and GlueBreath.
Speaking of.....I need to get all this 1x used FFOF soil out there to the spots this wkend.

furrywall11

EWSF sucks, period. My old business partner who bought 50k worth of their soil in 2014 was taking legal action against them Not much chance of winning but, even an apology would be great. If anyone has any doubts about how bad EWSF sucks, I have tons of soil tests I can show you. Seriously, it was a case of them making great soil, word got out, then they cut corners to fill the huge amount of orders that came rolling in and turned out a subpar product. Sadly, the owner of the company was totally focused on cashing in regardless of the consequences. He didn't seem to care that many people are dependent on this medicine to have any quality of life not to mention that many of us support our families with our gardens. What he did was utterly unconscionable. BUT.....water under the bridge. Just want to make sure no one gets jacked by these guys again.

Vermifire on the other hand is a very workable soil. A lot of perlite in it, though...still, better too much than too little. The gripe I had was with their vermiblend? Can't remember the name off hand but, it's their compost product. Being on the safe side, I added 1/3 of the recommended amount to my 2nd year Vermifire and watched in horror as my K levels went totally Fukushima on me...we're talking years to clean this soil up.
The rep said there was no way it was the Vermiblend because it barely has any numbers on it's own but, I'm telling you that's what it was. It was the only thing I added and have before and after soil tests from FGL.

ARGH, I so totally don't want to be bitter about EWSF...luckily, I've made a new connection in the southern Oregon area whose results with his soil blend speak for themselves and am definitely looking forward to this upcoming season. Bitterness be gone!!!!!

Last edited:

furrywall11

LOVE OUTDOOR RUN GLUE!
Im doing a big plant guerilla grow this year with Glue, KKSC, and GlueBreath.
Speaking of.....I need to get all this 1x used FFOF soil out there to the spots this wkend.

That Gluebreath looks INSANE.......I wonder if it will retain the yummy chocolate taste the original GG#4 has..

Top_shelf_farms

Does anyone know anything about soil king in Cloverdale for bulk soil? I need about 20 yards of the goods..... If not them anyone else in mendo? Emerald river nursery in willits? Thanks!!!!

Sluicebox

I'm running a few to go outside late May and hoping they will be 3-4 footers by then. They are under 18/6 light. Are they going to flower on me early? Do I have to keep a flood light/timer on them at night to avoid that? Last frost date here is May 10th.

Even if they do pop some flowers wont they slip back into veg as the days get longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.