What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd123

tree roots and clay prevent me from using the ground ; but i do plan on increasing soil in the future. we are still in a drought though; i cant afford 10% saturation at 30 gallons in a 300 gallon smart pot. ;p

socal still hurting bad

Whats the problem with tree roots and clay?

what is peoples ideal soil depth?
looks like 18 inches is the preferred; but it seems like width is far more beneficial than depth.
would it be in my best interest to lower depth to 12 inches and add the soil for another foot of width?

if i was doing clones i would go for the 12 inches but i am popping seeds and worried taproot will want more depth . maybe just test some of both..

In places where it gets really hot I like 24".. also consider that more soil depth adds a water and nutrient reservoir which equals less watering and work in the long run. Not to mention giving the organic salts a place to go as they begin to build. Something to consider especially if you arent watering well enough to get regular flow thru in your beds/pots/ mounds.....

rykus

hey all, just wanted to say thanks for the epic read! I learned more about growing in this one thread than I had in the previous few years of heads down struggle survival style work load...

anyways just wanted to note that the info on compost and K saturation levels has lead me to extensive research on compost, worms and ACT brewing so thanks for one but as a second check out the stats on Quinoa! has a super high Ca - K levels in the leaves for composting,and the seed in very healthy and high yield per sq/ft.. going to use the seed for feed and leaves for compost!they are actually very beautiful too and come in a few colours.

but yeah thanks again you all, and even for the drama, the elevated tempers often brought out elevated knowlage too, so thanks for that, stoked to see if we can hit 5lbs'ers up here in BC!

TheOutlawTree

Does anybody know whats up with the water board stuff? I checked out there site the other day and this is what alarmed me-

"Growing cannabis? By February 15, 2016 cultivators with 2000 square feet or more of cultivated area are required to enroll in a new water quality regulatory program (Order R1-2015-0023), either directly with the Regional Water Board, or via an approved third party program."

heres the site- http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/northcoast/water_issues/programs/cannabis/#_Waiver_of_Waste

I remember hearing something about this at the emerald cup... Is this for the whole state of california or just the 'north coast' ?

Its a north coast thing. Im in sac valley I see nothing about that on their site. Theyre beta testing the triangle. If youre going to get compliance checked might help to at least print the thing out. As far as I know the rest of us are still shooting for 2018.

Its a north coast thing. Im in sac valley I see nothing about that on their site. Theyre beta testing the triangle. If youre going to get compliance checked might help to at least print the thing out. As far as I know the rest of us are still shooting for 2018.

That is just the North Coast Board. There are many state water boards for every part of the state. There is a map on the site that breaks them down. If you are in Sac Valley (pretty much Yuba City to Modesto), Placer, Nevada, Butte, Yuba, El Dorado counties etc. than you are under one of the Central Valley boards. This is not a beta test. Appears to be in effect state wide. Here is the link for that area.

http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/centralvalley/water_issues/cannabis/index.shtml

TheOutlawTree

Good call rolling stoner. It looks like the central valley regional water board does not have a February 15th deadline. I'm going to call them monday morning to confirm and also see what the inspections are about. I really dont want fish and game at my land- but i suppose were coming to a time, where it shouldnt be a problem and they will probably appreciate your cooperation.

They sure are charging quite a bit for this stuff though. It looks like i'm going to have to spend 2,500$ to get my "Notice of Applicability" mailed back to me. I'm sure a lot of people will not bother with this stuff, and I'm pretty sure i remember hearing that only 50 people from the north coast region even registered so far. I forget where i remember hearing that, it could be untrue, i would think there would be more people.

My guess is that the people who follow all these new steps right off the bat- will have a quicker / better shot at getting there state / county permits in 2018 when the program starts.

Nice tree hobbyhorse!

Question for the pros: I've been researching best materials for mound making. 3/4" mesh looks good but for underneath the mounds where my holes are dug I understand this mesh wont last more than two years from rust. Would a few layers give it some longevity with space to allow roots to pass through, or is there something else I should be looking at?

jd123

1/2" hardware cloth. A 3 ft circle in diameter works great. wrap and wire tire the bottoms real well with rust resistant wire.

Imagine your rootball sitting inside of a cage shaped somewhat like a coffee mug. You can leave the top of the cage exposed and poking out of the soil for stalk protection or make it flush with the top of your mounds. I've seen critters destroy plants a few times by gnawing on an unprotected stalk, but its not all that common.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
byf said he just puts sheets of hardware cloth under his mounds, dont worry about protecting the top/sides. y4prop215 was doing mounds also, maybe he can chime in

jd123

I distinctly remember byf grilling you multiple times because you worried about gophers. He was about to the point of calling you dumb for worrying about them and also preached how he does no or little protection against them and isn't bothered. Byf is smart, but he also has a tendency to think if something doesn't affect him, than it must not affect anybody else. If you went that route in my neck of the woods, you'd lose 3-4 plants by the end of the season.

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
1/2" hardware cloth. A 3 ft circle in diameter works great. wrap and wire tire the bottoms real well with rust resistant wire.

Imagine your rootball sitting inside of a cage shaped somewhat like a coffee mug. You can leave the top of the cage exposed and poking out of the soil for stalk protection or make it flush with the top of your mounds. I've seen critters destroy plants a few times by gnawing on an unprotected stalk, but its not all that common.

I dealt with the gnawing from field mice at one garden last year. Ruined the grow. Gophers are also a perpetual problem there. The native soil tested really rich though. If things go right I'm gonna try the caged coffee cup mounds at that spot this year. I'm gonna have to look into this hardware cloth.

We don't have the gophers but there always mice. So I went straight on top for more exchangeable surface area. Did u say the guy that was growing on that property didn't have to worry? Hardware cloth would def be the cheaper option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts