What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grow nerd

Veteran
+1 on not topping…people keep asking me why I'm not topping, i want them tall! if i had lots of flat land with huge 20+ foot spacing, and was going for massive bush/hedges, then i might top. but i have to make due with terraces and limited space so i want my plants to grow up, not out.
I have 20'-25' spacing for my topped ladies (old indoor habits). Any particular training techniques besides caging and allowing them to grow through some layers of HortaNova netting?

also i noticed that plants will kind of natural top themselves after they hit 7-8 ft or so. the lateral branching catches up quick to the top growth…
Makes a ton of sense. When I saw the pictures only skimming through big plant outdoor grows, I thought those guys topped 'em to get the huge spheres.

Last edited:

milkyjoe

Veteran
I added it to one plant. No negative yet, but hard to tell anything. Gotta come up with a plan to see if I can tell what it does...like at a rate of an extra 2 ml a gallon. I do like the ounce per gallon kelp though...got a feeling that is the ticket.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
I just did the math on what the extra sea crop will do based on the 2010 assay of it, in addition to what is in Rejuvenate and PhotoMag

you could probably leave it out , but I got some because we're starting a fruit orchard from pretty much nothing, So I decided to pencil it out and the extra key elements available really are key.

On the kelp, I tried 2Oz and 1Oz...I like 1Oz.

I spread out a few inches of compost over a +/-5000sq ft area and I'm going to add the same amendment mix I use on my pot and grow a cover crop to break up the soil as deep as I can get the cover crop roots to grow...It's going to be a process...I may plant a few trees this fall of more hardy stuff, but it'll really be gold after I work it next year, too.

Next week I'll add the sea crop in after spraying one patch and we'll see what the difference in nutrient analysis provided by a leading agriculture analytical lab.

C

CaliGabe

Foliar friday...extra pepzyme, fuck yea. You literally see a difference in hours. Thanks byf.
LOL...around these parts we're doing Foliar Fridays and Tea Tuesdays.

Sea-Crop...I love it. Been talking about it for a few years. Uber potent. I drink a tablespoon a day.

Yes4 an awesome garden you have in the works!!!

milkyjoe

Veteran
I like the kelp at 1 oz also. I was using 0.5 and then bumping to 2 to try to manipulate cytokinin vs auxin right around stretch. But might as well not let auxins become dominate in the first place.

I have theses purple cabbages with huge leaves on them. They were laying down a little. I thought just too big to really stand up. They are praying this morning after the foliar

When you run the numbers how did you account for what is in rejuv and photomag?

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Hey Milky

I know they don't tell you how much they're blending in , I just thought about it based on the label Analysis , the order the ingredients are listed in the MSDS , and the consistency of each product...I figured that both products are about 1/3 Sea Crop and I ran the math based off of that.

bamboogardner

Has anyone tried burlap on top of their smarties instead of a mulch in an effort to keep the moisture on top from drying out? Used smarties this year for the first time. Probably my last too. Seems the layers of soil are at different moisture's, which makes it hard to dial in. I Know Backyard hates them. Maybe he will chime in why they are not a good choice.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Has anyone tried burlap on top of their smarties instead of a mulch in an effort to keep the moisture on top from drying out? Used smarties this year for the first time. Probably my last too. Seems the layers of soil are at different moisture's, which makes it hard to dial in. I Know Backyard hates them. Maybe he will chime in why they are not a good choice.
I put a layer of Hydroton on a couple of my smart pots, and it seems to help. I am burying my smart pots, and only using them to limit the amount of soil I need to amend next year.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
I don't hate smart pots, I have some, I just think its kinda lame to restrict the plant or spend money on them.

They work really well for me where I have them...it's one place on the farm I don't want to expand the holes. One yard is fine for a 9 plant garden that gets intermittent sun...

Smart pots can work great, some people have 4 yard ones, but at that point I don't know why they don't just make a mound and buy a few extra yard for the price of the 800s and just have bigger holes...

ELBURRO

Light Dep Sour d in 30 gal coco pots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 14
L

Luther Burbank

Happy Solstice! Not long now. My biggest girl is already showing primordial calyx and pistils. Had me kinda worried seeing them this early.

Madjag

Veteran
Happy Solstice! Not long now. My biggest girl is already showing primordial calyx and pistils. Had me kinda worried seeing them this early.

I know you're an outdoor grower, so I'm surprised unless you're in Finland like some of my grower friends. Here in Arizona, on the Equinox, I have 6 out of 8 girls flowering fairly lightly. Several have been since May 15.

I guess that's the price you pay when you grow Sativa hybrids from Zamal varieties. These are F2s, from seed, and were up and running April 5th.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i dont see how burlap would be a good choice, you dont want to keep in all that moisture its good for the soil to evap a bit. but i do understand how people would want to cover them up because 95 degree sun will cook that soil quickly, but once the plant gets big enough the shadow covers the soil so its really not even needed anymore.

i used to use straw/hay but had issues with finding PM and mold in some bales. I've also heard it can contribute to fusarium and wilt if too much is used, issues i definitely had a few times in the past. since going to norcal blend and mulch i have not seen a single wilted plant in mine or friends gardens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts