What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

viffer

per gallon:

sea shield 1 ounce
pht-p 3 ounce
photomag 1 ounce
pht ca 1 ounce
micropak 1/2 ounce
sea stim 1/2 ounce
micro 5000 1/4 tsp
pepzyme 1/4 tsp
albion Ca 1 tsp

drove photosynthesis so hard it ate the food out of a 5 gallon pot in one month. Plants are two feet taller than I want them :biggrin:

I am starting to think photosynthesis is the only limit on how big we can grow a plant. Since they never pollinate I don't think there is a genetic limit.

how often do you foiler with this recipe?

viffer

per gallon:

sea shield 1 ounce
pht-p 3 ounce
photomag 1 ounce
pht ca 1 ounce
micropak 1/2 ounce
sea stim 1/2 ounce
micro 5000 1/4 tsp
pepzyme 1/4 tsp
albion Ca 1 tsp

drove photosynthesis so hard it ate the food out of a 5 gallon pot in one month. Plants are two feet taller than I want them :biggrin:

I am starting to think photosynthesis is the only limit on how big we can grow a plant. Since they never pollinate I don't think there is a genetic limit.

how often do you foliar with this recipe?

L

Luther Burbank

I have the crabs, I just need to figure the enzyme process I guess. I'm not seeing Sea Shield listed on the AEA site either. One of those give them a call things I guess.

Last edited:

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
I have the crabs, I just need to figure the enzyme process I guess. I'm not seeing Sea Shield listed on the AEA site either. One of those give them a call things I guess.
If you have crabs, I would suggest visiting a clinic? j/k

L

Luther Burbank

You should see the NPK value on these guys. They've been eating all organic after all ;)

Bulldog420

Veteran
in my opinion you're better off using your own formula and then finding a place to mix it for you, saving you lots of work.

if you buy a pre-mixed ...mix, with a formula 'they' make, they're going to be price gouging you in some way and then stuff you don't want to be in it is probably going to be in it, and even if they say 'this' is in it, not all amendments are created equal, pay attention to quality of the amendments. don't pay someone to come up with a formula for you, there are plenty of great formulas for soil mixes out there. this is how people get taken advantage of imo.

I've heard quotes as low as $2 per yard to mix 'your' mix, so have them deliver your peat, aeration such as lava rock, perlite etc, and high quality compost. (i'm using diestel) to the mixing site that you find. then choose your amendments, I posted the mix we're doing this year a couple pages back.

here it is again, I don't think you can go wrong with this one, similar to the CC mix but with some slight changes.

30% sphagnum peat
30% lava rock
30% high quality compost
10% top soil, this you may or may not do, if you're going to have it mixed at a place then this'll probably have to be screened to filter out rocks, I'd contact whatever place you find about this.

for amendments we went with:

1/2 cup neem meal, neemresource.com
1/2 cup kelp meal, Down-to-earth
1/2 cup crab meal, Down-to-earth
1/2 cup gypsum
1/2 cup oyster shell flour

4 cup rock dust, contact thomas vanacore at rockdustlocal, he knows a good hookup for rock dust in california.

that's the amounts per cubic foot, there are 27 cubic feet in a yard.

if you're on a tight budget you can use karanja meal which is slightly cheaper than neem and also probably cut back the rock dust to 2 cups/cu ft.

:comfort:

Thought I would throw up my results, since I just made an order today. Talked with the lady and they don't have Neem meal anymore!!!!!! I am calling around right now looking for it elsewhere, but they don't ship to Cali anymore!!!! Cali pisses me off sometimes. Anybody have some extra or know where some might be? Any store around would be fantastic.

30% Peat
30% lava
20% Bu's compost
10% EWC
10% top soil ( was going to skip this but the lady told me it was heavy in minerals and recommended it)

1/2 cup neem meal (yet to find but it will make it into the mix)
1/2 cup Kelp Meal
1/2 cup gypsum
1/2 cup oyster shell flour
4 cups rock dust - I did 2 cups glacial rock, 1 cup azomite, and one cup another mix, can't recall atm)

that's the amounts per cubic foot, there are 27 cubic feet in a yard.

4 cups fish bone meal per cubic yard

Hope this works out well this season, Boob's your the shit for helping out. :tiphat: Will update when things get more interesting.

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
just use karanja meal, did they have that? rare earth told me a while back they can get it there in 4 days or something. if you can't get it in time for them to mix into just get it when you can and top dress under the mulch, that should work fine

Bulldog420

Veteran
THey told me they are having a hard time finding the karnaja meal as well.......Looks like they may be able to source the karnaja meal if I am willing to wait, but I will look into what Backyard just posted, thanks! Love this thread and all the help you vets give out.

EDIT: Good call BackyardFarmer, they are looking into it. If they don't, I will just order up a 50lb sac for myself. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Arminius

Veteran
Getting closer...

Getting closer...

Had my two sons dig some holes for me this weekend. Hope to have amended soil and plants in the ground by June 15th at the latest. Burying my 35 gallon smart pots in a raised bed with hardware cloth beneath.
picture.php

Front end of nursery. The big one on the ground is Ken's GDP, that was a struggle keeping alive during the heatwave last week. Wish I could get it in the ground now... The rest are a mix of Tahoe, SLH, GG#4, OGHC, etc...
picture.php

Stacking up behind... Have a few older clients that have ordered their entire gardens to be ready to drop in the ground and go. One in particular was so impressed with the White Fire Alien, and it's ability to make him forget to take pain meds. His wife who is an 8-9 joint a day smoker for years, couldn't finish a whole joint.
picture.php

L

Luther Burbank

I'm just gonna start planning for the 2015 season today. Every year I think I've my shit together and you people show me I am not bringing my A-game to this show.

Bulldog420

Veteran
Get your feet wet Burbank. I started growing over 15 years ago and I still don't wear big boy pants around here. Do your best, post what you got, and learn from others. Good vibes headed your way, best of luck.

Arminius

Veteran
Get your feet wet Burbank. I started growing over 15 years ago and I still don't wear big boy pants around here. Do your best, post what you got, and learn from others. Good vibes headed your way, best of luck.
Exactly! This is only my second OD grow, but I do what I can, and learn as much as possible!

L

Luther Burbank

Well my soil is dialed in well this year, and I'm mostly happy with my foliar recipe these days, other than the lack of Ca. It's just that every year I get shit thrown in my way trying to get sizable plants into the ground. I wanted to be way past 5th node on going into the ground. I'll try to get some shots soon; the camera disappeared when I cleaned up the house.

bamboogardner

per gallon:

sea shield 1 ounce
pht-p 3 ounce
photomag 1 ounce
pht ca 1 ounce
micropak 1/2 ounce
sea stim 1/2 ounce
micro 5000 1/4 tsp
pepzyme 1/4 tsp
albion Ca 1 tsp

Hey Milky. Kudos to you for sharing your recipe for foliar. I could not help to notice though that you are adding Ca from both AEA and Albion. Is there a reason for that, or is the Albion the CA/Boro powder they sell and your adding it for the Boro. Are you adding any surfactant such as Yucca? Also, another reader asked what is your schedule on the foliar.

I'd bet that Backyard would have the answers too, being a fan and master of AEA and Albion products. If either of you could answer, your loyal students (me especially) would be greatly appreciative.

Status
Not open for further replies.