What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooddro

for those of you guys running supplemental light what kind of bulbs are you going with? Im going with 13 watt daylight just wonderin what everyone else is using

grow nerd

Veteran
Anyone have any issues with rodents (rats/mice) nesting in or otherwise being attracted to the straw on the ground? How about on the pot?

I noticed all the cool kids were doing it, so I did too, but then thought about pest attraction and Google seems to think it will attract mice/rats?

Local I love the straw everywhere bro..you can see how much brighter it makes things in the pic you posted of your patch. AAA bro. Good job! That is my next project after I button up my fence and plug my ladies in..

COconnect

Anyone have any issues with rodents (rats/mice) nesting in or otherwise being attracted to the straw on the ground? How about on the pot?

I noticed all the cool kids were doing it, so I did too, but then thought about pest attraction and Google seems to think it will attract mice/rats?

WARNING OPINION ALERT!!!! ;p

I'm of the opinion it does more harm than good, also provides great insect nesting..... :(

All straw on my plot is courtesy of the old tenant...

Definitely if you need to conserve water is a thought but if you're doing it right the girls should be thirsty every day.

Tl;DR
I'm not a fan

Last edited:

Bulldog420

Veteran
Had a road trip up to Mendo today and put my down payment on a nice green house. Lake Mendo was beautiful today, only a couple people on the entire lake. Can't wait for the green house to show up, then I have to put it all together......

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
for those of you guys running supplemental light what kind of bulbs are you going with? Im going with 13 watt daylight just wonderin what everyone else is using

same,cover em w/a 2 gal black pot as lamp shade ,home d has a rubberized socket for 2-3 bucks that can be wired into an old 100ft ext cord 10-15 per ext cord,some black tape good to go...

TheFlyinHaWyn!

can anybody give me a breakdown on Macadamia Nut compost? a yard is $90 where I live. thinking of incorporating that in my mix. if I get one monster where I live I will be a happy camper. aloha and good luck with all you guys' grows.

Bulldog420

Veteran
If you just went with EGS , Get a 20 ft trailer and go pick it up yourself.

They only quoted me 400 for a 2.5 hour delivery, I took the deal. Thanks for the heads up on Envirotech, the greenhouse is super quality. Their receptionist/sales person was very nice and helpful as well. She made an appointment with me since I was driving 2.5 hours to check things out. Got there at 10 and didn't leave until 2, but she helped with all my stupid questions. I also have an approved set of building plans that I plan on submitting next week.

L

Luther Burbank

Flyin you might want to check the Hawaii forum or talk to GreySkull. That sounds incredible but I doubt many of us on the mainland would ever see macadamia compost.

Is anyone else having gopher problems? I'm about to build my first mounds... been using smartpots...What are you guys using under your mounds against these gophers? Thanks

Heres what I came up with. I used 6' x 1.5' 1/4" hardware cloth to make a basket, and then zip tied another piece thats 2'x2' on the bottom. I'll but it in the mound with the top two inches above the soil line, and transplant into the basket.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
They only quoted me 400 for a 2.5 hour delivery, I took the deal. Thanks for the heads up on Envirotech, the greenhouse is super quality. Their receptionist/sales person was very nice and helpful as well. She made an appointment with me since I was driving 2.5 hours to check things out. Got there at 10 and didn't leave until 2, but she helped with all my stupid questions. I also have an approved set of building plans that I plan on submitting next week.

That's fucked up. I ordered from them in march and still don't have my plans! My deliveries have had short or damaged pieces on every one!

jackpot7

Btw I posted this question but thought a few u guys might know... What are the plant limits in Tehama county? Is it by parcel size? bless

Madjag

Veteran
Heres what I came up with. I used 6' x 1.5' 1/4" hardware cloth to make a basket, and then zip tied another piece thats 2'x2' on the bottom. I'll but it in the mound with the top two inches above the soil line, and transplant into the basket.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52740&pictureid=1253018View Image

I used similar baskets that I fashioned in much the same design. Leave 6" above ground level if you can just in case you need to connect a top cover across your mound/hole/smart pot. I had a few gophers go over the edge and dig from above. They can't get away, but overnight in one case they toppled a $75 landscape shrub that I had just planted.

I also set traps within those walled circles as another backup against big-ass desert pack rats that chew on stalks. They, too have toppled 3-mont old, sturdy stalked Sativas. Luckily duct tape patched them up with a splint or two and there was no noticeable set back once they were supported and patched.

grow nerd

Veteran

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52740&pictureid=1253018&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I remember seeing a 3'x25' roll of that stuff for about $50 at Home Depot the other day, IIRC. Are there much cheaper places to get larger rolls?

Bulldog420

Veteran
That's fucked up. I ordered from them in march and still don't have my plans! My deliveries have had short or damaged pieces on every one!

Paid good money for the plans alone. How are you building without plans? I told them no sale without the plans in hand, the city wants the plans before they approve the build. That's the only way it works as far as I know?

Wrong size pieces.....Fuck I really don't need anything else in my life like this. I can only pray it's done correctly.

grow nerd

Veteran
Spent the last several hours picking up as much straw as I could. Still a ton scattered everywhere in between / under the wire mesh on the ground. After a little more reading seems like folks have tried straw (not to be confused with hay) and for the most part, didn't like it. So even though it looks cool, and even though it was a huge pain in the ass, I picked up a lot of it that I laid down just the other day. Sigh, should have read & researched more first.

All did up:

Undid: :-(

Scratches all over my arms and legs.

I cheaped out and doubled up (tried to make the holes 3/4" where possible) on 1.5" stucco netting (looks exactly like chicken wire, with 1.5" opening instead of 1"). In hindsight I should have just spent the extra money on 1/4" mesh, but it was quite expensive and came in 3'x25' rolls max (for about $50!) at the Home Depot I was shopping at.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts