What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomaad

Veteran
Bom Shiva! Bom Shiva! One love to the big plants thread. May your soil be perfectly amended and your plants perfectly watered!

Debating trying to make a small rebar "dome" of sorts to set over the plant initially as a support for it to grow through before putting up posts/netting later in the season. This cross I'm testing seems extra floppy and I'm worried about support. Anyone using a smaller "interior" support like that?

In their final pots/holes/mounds?

I feel like a simple one-stake or two opposing stakes and some green tape do the trick until the plants are a few feet tall and start to reach out to the edges of my pots. At any point you can put up a square of horti-net on your four permanent fenceposts for the plant to grow thru... scrog style. I like to encourage Upward growth for a nice big sphere once the plant fills out. I don't like using a lot of metal for support, besides the fenceposts that support the horti netting, which was left intact and will be reused this year. I prefer its gentle support to the rigidity of metal solutions... when the wind whips up, the metal doesn;t give, thus creating a lot of stress. The horti-on-fenceposts sways and augments the plants interconnected way of dealing with general stress like wind. Plants gets stronger as opposed to beat against unforgiving metal.

I'm using pure protein dry/ ocean grown didn't notice any changes however my bag was labeled ppd. Great stuff always notice an improvement within the day.

Another miracle product everyone should make use of is calcium-25. I've never seen such thick and turgid stems. Can't wait to hit my dep agin at week 4 of flower I'm sure it'll significantly increase yield.

redlaser

Veteran
I use propane and oxygen to blow them up. It works pretty good.

I was talking to a guy that does this full time along with another method that uses a .22 blank. The .22 is mounted in a small box facing downward toward the tunnel and goes off when touched. Not sure if that works both on moles and gophers or just one of them. Seemed like a more affordable choice although it might not be as fast as propane.

grow nerd

Veteran
I'm just now on page 70-something, maybe I've missed it... Which version of the cal25 do you guys use? Seems to be multiple versions.

COconnect

1/4 inch gopher wire. Shit is expensive though. :) happy I finally got a pic to work out.

Attachments

• KIMG0030.jpg
    KIMG0030.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 11
C

CaliGabe

I'm just now on page 70-something, maybe I've missed it... Which version of the cal25 do you guys use? Seems to be multiple versions.
Cal 25 is Cal 25 is Cal 25...only one version. Really important if you have high soil K levels and need to get Ca into the plant as it grows otherwise not so importante.

C

CaliGabe

Thank you, not nearly as much spacing as anticipated, but it should work out.

Sooooo jealous of this other spot I saw... 20ft centers on the pots. Drooooooooollll.
One of my local CO friends outdoor grow from 2013 at 7,000'...

picture.php

Bring on 2014!

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
There's like five types of Calcium 25. I've been using 'Vegetables & Ornamentals'. Not sure of the differences..

C

CaliGabe

Niiiiice. Yeah, my name lies I'm up in cali this year. I miss my CO though.
That's a bit lame IMO :biggrin:. Fook I spent most of my recent years in waaaay NorCal and now in CO hanging with some crazy outdoor growers that finish without a greenhouse. Here's a view out the back 40 of the La Platas...Durango just on the right and To Hell You Ride a bit to the North...

picture.php

grow nerd

Veteran
Cal 25 is Cal 25 is Cal 25...only one version. Really important if you have high soil K levels and need to get Ca into the plant as it grows otherwise not so importante.
I'm referring to this:

www.calcium25.com said:
There are five Calcium-25 products: Calcium-25 for Field Corn, Calcium-25 for Soybeans, Sorghum & Alfalfa (also for small grains and pasture), Calcium-25 for Wheat & Rice, Calcium-25 for Vegetables & Ornamentals (also for cotton, peanuts, tobacco, and grapes), and Calcium-25 for Apples & Fruit Trees (all are OMRI listed!).

COconnect

That's a bit lame IMO :biggrin:. Fook I spent most of my recent years in waaaay NorCal and now in CO hanging with some crazy outdoor growers that finish without a greenhouse. Here's a view out the back 40 of the La Platas...Durango just on the right and To Hell You Ride a bit to the North...

View Image

Haha it's crazy I guess I'm making the right moves then. I'm in lawless norcal and planning on coming back to CO after the ship sinks. Re arrange the city name on my profile, you're probably close enough to get it.

I love my Colorado and I will to death!

The name and location swap we have going is kinda funny huh?

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
I was talking to a guy that does this full time along with another method that uses a .22 blank. The .22 is mounted in a small box facing downward toward the tunnel and goes off when touched. Not sure if that works both on moles and gophers or just one of them. Seemed like a more affordable choice although it might not be as fast as propane.

I've heard of old timers rigging their traps like that.

I prefer the rodenator....

Calcium 25 for veg and ornamental here

Status
Not open for further replies.