What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I have just seen snow in N. Spain, in May, nobody can remember it before, this sodding Volcano may well send the weather crazy for a while. Reading the article below made me think that getting covers over the plants may be the priority for many of us, I doubt Volcanic ash residue adds much to the quality of outdoor weed.

How an Icelandic volcano helped spark the French Revolution

barley crops "became brown and withered … as did the leaves of the oats; the rye had the appearance of being mildewed"

T

theJointedOne

many fires in eastern north CA a couple years ago made for some ashy buds....

G

Ganja D

Don't know what all you "early starters" are doing now (prolly crapping your pants! ;) ), but it is SHITTY out right now. Spent the morning moving the recruits back into the room in preparation for hail!

Stay dry everyone...

- Butte

Over at Humboldtlocals's we've been planting all day under the hoops. It's been nice and dry even in the ridiculous wind rain and hail.
First 300 gallon smart pots are planted!
:smokey:
Taking a quick smoke break and back to work.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi all,

Know thy climate zone for sure as well as the microclimates it contains, then it's still by guess and by golly farming. Not the broader U.S. frost maps but the much more accurate and informative Sunset Western Garden Book climate zones. 1-24 in the west I believe, 24 being most mild, and 1 being most harsh. This (sunset western garden book) is extremely valuable for those folks who are looking to buy property, or gardening where you are, detailing exactly what and when you can expect to grow there. Still, keep an eye to weather. In climate zone 4 (where I have yet to plant most gardens) I woke up to some fine Irish weather this morning-

picture.php

then drove out back (20 minutes) to the garden I planted in climate zone 14 and my bro was like, "what hail/snow?" lol. All is well. Those of you (sounds like Planty maybe) in climate zone 1 or 2 should be somewhat leery of putting stuff out just yet without protection. Those of you in 14, and 15 with lighting systems (me at some locals) are pretty good to go. Those inbetween (4,7,8, etc) with lighting systems might be tugging at the docklines and weighing risks of leaving them in those small pots or going for it fairly soon.

Here is the Nor/Cal Sunset Western climate zone chart-

picture.php

The plants I held back in the greenhouses in those smaller pots seem to be doing a little better than the ones I plugged maybe. But the jury is still out for a couple of weeks. My money is on the ones I plugged - with their 4-5ft root systems- flying right on by all else very soon. We'll see - such is farming.

LocalHero, I've never bothered to harden off plants where I am at.

Heya Private Joker, Naw, I don't have enough experience with coco to be giving advice on it really, but there is a whole section of the growers forums dedicated to it. No Sk9 in yet, still in the greenhouse.

Planty, that Bubba7 cut is imo the tastiest Bubba cut out there.

HumboldtLocal and Ganja D, looks like a fine start amigos, you guys got it going on this year man, right where you want em and looking good.

HashMan, it depends on how wet they got. If you are amending last years holes and they were already fairly moist you are probably good. If they were new (dry bags of dirt), and you're getting less than several inches of rain, you probably want to water some to make sure they are wet-out well.

Butte, great to hear from you, you had em out there then? Then moved em back? Tugging at the dock lines? :D

Great to hear from everybody and everybody seems to be doing really well this year too. You guys ready? let's do this thing. -T

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Got a little hail and a drencher here, but everybody's ok. The black tent plants with buds got soaked. Im leaving the top off tonight. zone 14
picture.php

picture.php

P

planty

:) I'm waiting till the 18th-20th to stick em in the 300s. I'm somewhere along where 1 and 4 merge...If I was to go now, I'd really be in a position where im trying to get a little extra for a lot of risk. I have everything in 5s and 10s and they're still growing despite the cloudy days since being upped...

I'm sure once the sun comes back this week they'll be back to tearing again. Stuck on what I should plug in my main set up.

Here are my options :

#1 - 60 #7s
#2 - 30 DOG 30 #7s
#3 - 8 Old Betsy 22 DOG 30 #7

What do you think Tom, Butte? I know you guys have seen all 3 of the strains I've got ready...

PS >> I hardly hard any rain today..no snow or hail?? Just cold and cloudy

Tom Hill

Veteran
Have you grown them all out before Planty? What are your feelings on them. I heard the OB does really well but this was from our friend who wouldn't dare try to grow anything but AAA and to hell with yield. Note: "AAA" has a hard time scratching the surface of "A" when grown/finished under <11 hrs of waning fall red sun spectrum in the PNW, etc. The obvious question might be whether or not 1/2 yield brings double the reward when the time comes. I am shifting my program up a bunch based on this spring growth and notations of deficiencies regarding what I am looking for - lots of crap is getting stone-cold banished and demoted to the blackbox or the few 100's I have due to lack of performance/vigor/resistance. -T

ROOTWISE

Veteran
Cull em HARD Tom!!!! I'm doing the same here....it's nice to have some AAA, but we work too hard and dedicate too much space to deal with anything less than a plant that is above average in multiple categories

All my best-

:D

P

planty

Yes I've grown them all out. The #7 not out door. My friend who gave it to me, who also found the piece, did one last year that came in at 2 pounds I think and was 3' tall and 3' wide. I'll have to ask him exactly what the final number was but I already have 16 #7s that are that big now..The DOG is a beast and so is OB. Both are ready 9/28-10/7 and do well in market and on the performance tip. I have the sunlight to finish 'em right..

P

planty

Also bro 5 pounds of #7 will be worth more than 10 pounds of dream because no one around here wants to pick any of that up...so I guess I know what I'm doing. (30 #7, 24 DOG, 6 Betsy)

Tom Hill

Veteran
When flavor becomes a novelty, and you want to get high, I'll trade you 2 to 1 for my "Hazeberry Kush" (BD, lol). JK, sounds good bro. -T

P

planty

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read Hazeberry Kush :D

I'll have some #7 for you whenever dude.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Got to disagree with You Bro. Maybe its just me. The Haze berry sounds good. Im getting ready to hit a LA conf, Orange Crush, SweetTooth,and GDP with a select haze males pollen. You never know what You might come up with.

P

planty

It's hard to read sarcasm on the boards. I just hate blue dream. I think it is sub par commercial and really has no place in my garden. If I'm going to dip down in to the mersh category I'd rather do Green Crack or SCBB... The people that really got me seriously interested in growing, as TH said, they would never dare touch anything but the AAA and that's rubbed off on me big time...maybe I'm crazy for liking the "small" yielding super tasty ones...but I just can't see myself going backwards..Not that there's anything wrong with doing BD or anything..I just don't like it and mainly for these reasons : If I did a lot of blue dream I'd probably risk losing a lot of it to frost or rain/snow/hail damage or both...and I would be stuck with it. If I did 60 holes of blue dream I bet I would yield a ton..but I'll settle for a half of kush :)

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I hear alot about Blue dream, but have never sampled it. I am growing a clone only Salmon Creek Big Bud/ Orange Crush in a big hole. Trichome production is double compared to all my other plants.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Which Blue Dream guys? There's a bunch out there by my count? Just like there's a bunch of GDP and OG and Chem and on and on, many are not fit to hang-out in my shit-house on any given Sunday. Planty, I know the Bubba you are growing and it does pretty much all things better than any other bubba, same with that Betsy, so there it is. Clarke said it best, screw this name game it's as loose as she can get and all muddled-up. Only 1 Q- What exactly does this plant that I am proposing to grow, do, and bring, in my camp? -T

Status
Not open for further replies.