What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
A little off topic from me guys (;
Do you think if I plant now the plants will have time to develop.
I`m not talking for monsters :D just normal plants.
1 meter tall even will be perfect.

I`m asking because sadly I`ve lost over half of my plants I started and there is some awful rain that maybe will fuck up the remaining ones ):

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
To make the pots:

I took 4' wide garden fencing and cut it in half, well actually cut out the middle wire. that made the width of the garden fencing into 20" with @4" of outcropping vertical wire. that worked well cus the soil height i wanted was 18" and that left 2 inches extra. Bonus was that I found a roll of 40" wide burlap. so i wrapped the burlap twice around the garden fencing threading the loose wires of the garden fencing through the ends of each side of the burlap. that made a perfect tight fit. the leftover wire ends i used to stake the pot into the ground.

I dunno, sometimes things just work out perfectly without perfect planning and this was one of those times. credit goes to this forum and tom for inspiring me to make my own. i forget who mentioned a large improvement on diy pots was to wrap them in burlap to insulate them, but that was the reasoning to use burlap.

heres a pic with the un put together pot where u can see wire ends protruding from the bottom.

peace
picture.php

Your Pots are cool Bro. Im wondering what gauge the wire fence is and what it looks like. I still dont understand how You get it so smooth on the exterior. And is that a house behind Yours? What do You do about odor?

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
A little off topic from me guys (;
Do you think if I plant now the plants will have time to develop.
I`m not talking for monsters :D just normal plants.
1 meter tall even will be perfect.

I`m asking because sadly I`ve lost over half of my plants I started and there is some awful rain that maybe will fuck up the remaining ones ):

Oh I forget to add.
My spot somewhere around 42-43 north latitude

nomaad

Veteran
You could still have monsters with the right strain if the cuts were taken right now. I hate to keep bringing up the Blue Dream, but its vigor is a baseline for what will deliver the biggest plants at the end of the season... anyhow... my Blue Dream went in on May 27th no more than 8 inches tall and produced almost 5#. I bet you could pull down 3+ with the right strain and the right amount of dirt. Maybe not the monsters u were once hoping for, but not too shabby. You're a bit north of me... not sure how this will affect your run.

I feel like I am monopolizing this thread... it was intended to be a clearing house for info and advice from the big plant growers... just trying to hold it down till they get back. :) It has probably been a very busy week for a lot of us... I have the luxury of having my computer steps away from my garden and a droid in my pocket when I am elsewhere.

mister c

Nomad...dont trip! Hi-jack...Smi-jack

If it matters, i appreciate you chiming in from time to time. And im sure the other peeps do too.

Thanks

S

scarred4life

your info rocks, nomaad!

thanks for letting me bombard you w/ questions you probably don't have time to answer...

So the smart pots are "gopher resistant?" I think I'm just going to go with the 200 gallons, that way I will be able to work quickly and make up for my late start.

Even if started in a few weeks, you really think (with the right growing process) the 6" mendo purps clones that i just potted and put under my hortilux blue could still get pretty big if planted in a few weeks? It has a little more stretch than any of the other purps strains I've ran indoors, about the same as my bubba.

In general, my main dilemma is that I'd like to grow more purps than I have big starts of, but I don't want to lose the additional weight I might get from instead going with my bubbas, chem ds, and deep chunks, which are all in 5 gallons and over a month old.

localhero

Your Pots are cool Bro. Im wondering what gauge the wire fence is and what it looks like. I still dont understand how You get it so smooth on the exterior. And is that a house behind Yours? What do You do about odor?

I have no idea what to do about odor. I tried planting snail vine, the smelly one. planted mexican marigold. have a lemon tree and a lime tree. tried tube roses. but really none of those things will probably even dent the smell of bud. maybe if i had hedges and hedges of gardenias? maybe i should never ever ever pick up the dog shit?

I dont know what gauge those fences are, id guess 14? theyre tight on there because i thread them through a wire every foot on one side of the fabric, wrap it around/pull tight/ and thread the other end of the fabric every foot in between the anchor points of the first side. leaving the rest of the bare wires to use as stakes.
now im really not sure how long burlap will last outside. thats my disclaimer lol. you could use landscape fabric, the same stuff smart pots are made out of. its supposed to be uv resistant.

hope that helps. I just wanted to give back something to this thread and maybe help someone else, since its been so invaluable to me. I'm no pro. infact the more i spend on this site the more i realize there is to know. next up i need to understand soil analysis using ec meters and what not.

S

scarred4life

take a gander at a few of my starts in the dark cycle, waiting for a place in the sun

a few of my deep chunk seedlings

some chem dawg

some bubba

my baby girls, mostly mendo purps

P

planty

Mendo Purps is a beast out door and will out grow Chem D , Bubba etc.,..I'd get as much MP out as possible.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
3 years ago,before I was legal, I put in an early crop (9 plants) of Orange Crush/ Salmon Creek big bud, Im on a big lot, but it stunk to hi heaven for the last month. I was having paranoid palpitations. You could smell it over a half block away. I ended up building a tall, large ribbed green house over them. I vented the greenhouse down the sewer, because I had no carbon filter. The manhole covers were seeping out stinky shit/skunk smell for blocks around here.

I have no less than 25 varieties at the moment, but the real stinky ones like GDP, Chemdog, salmon Crush, etc are staying indoors.

Tom Hill

Veteran
I know Nomaad, Butte, and others are wondering. For those of you who are out of the area that don't know we just had a cold mass come through that was a bit touch and go. Before that it was hard wind driven cold rains etc. Many of us have weatherband radios in our cars also to contrast with the internet weather ect. Anyway, my heart stopped as emergency announcements of frost warnings were coming in over the car speaker. It got down to 31f, 32f, 32f, for a few nights there. I'll go ahead and say it, I was crapping my pants worried about those plants I plugged in. :(

Tom Hill

Veteran
But they did fine :D

picture.php

Today, about two weeks after transplant I did my second watering. In spite of the foul weather they are loving the soil mix etc. You can tell by contrast of where they were tied up before, they've done well. I measured roots out in a 4ft diameter circle today, wait and see what happens over this next waxing moon, stand by for the explosion. ;) -T

PS, Outstanding LocalHero, very nice.

Hope all are well. Sorry for my lack of input lately I am busier than ever and just exhausted to the core.

baet

hey everyone,

shit we've been busy,
this season i am going to have a lot of herbal to dry and process between 24 350-400gal beds and 6 100gal smart pots. we have a large garage to dry, but i was wondering what drying approach you monster growers prefer:

dry racks (the pre-made ones that have compartments) or just hanging individual branches from strung wire/thread?

either way is do-able in my case, just wondering if those dry racks are any good, feel like buds would need to be tended to and flipped to avoid sides from being flattened, but supposedly that's not an issue...

Tom Hill

Veteran
Those are mostly BlueDream out of Nomaad's camp and they seem to be absolutely bullet-proof so far.

localhero

right on Tom!

Do you guys harden off your plants? Im vegging under 1000w mh and(not working that great) 1000w hps.

HorseMouth

Thanks for the Update Tom. Plants look great, good call getting them outside so early. Way to pucker up and pray for a light frost, AND get it!

Oregon just had what we feel was the last blast a couple of days ago.

GL all OD growers.

P

planty

It seems like if they're a bit larger they can take a bit of a cold snap. I decided to do all bomb threat. Plugging in after next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.