What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Put together a carport greenhouse today, so easy.

The best part was that I only had to buy some 1x4 to build it!

I have been tied up building steel frame green house kits , and now can get ahead on garden work.

I need to catch up on transplanting, turning holes, and weeding.

May looks like some great weather!

ponobegone

Veteran
is the jager just the sr71 purple kush? whatever it is its fire and that smell is delicious. theres another pheno around that's more purple but im not crazy about it. mine is the more hindu kush pheno. its a great yielder and fast grower. ive been told it herms indoors.

milkyjoe

Veteran
being in bear country, i cant use any meals that will attract bears..

one a side note, anyone know of any good vegan protein supplements i can use instead of bone meal...

Bone meal is more about P and Ca than protein. Soft Rock is an easy replacement if you actually need the P. If you have much compost in the mix your P is probably high already...at least in my experience.

For protein my favorite combo is alfalfa and neem meal. Both are only in that 3-4% N range but both bring some other things with them that I find most excellent. And neither will bring the bears :biggrin:

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
is the jager just the sr71 purple kush? whatever it is its fire and that smell is delicious. theres another pheno around that's more purple but im not crazy about it. mine is the more hindu kush pheno. its a great yielder and fast grower. ive been told it herms indoors.

the jaeger is floating a around Seattle... and it's DEFINATE ~ FIRE....

have yet to see the clone....BUT the budage is TOP_SHELF, diggitydank

hooddro

yeah pono it herms inside and will get some nanners in october. And its not sr71 purple kush, it is just a killer phenotype of hindu kush. Seen an 11 pounder last year...

L

Luther Burbank

I've used feather meal before, courtesy of Concentrates, and had zero problems. As for hoof and horn I'm not sure I follow - is this a specific product or do you mean the parts in general? I believe the hooves make it into commercial bone meal. I know the biodynamic druids make a concoction of ground horn mixed with compost in a stomach and buried for months that they then use for Si (silica), but frankly Potassium Silicate is cheap and incredible and doesn't involve something akin to magic haggis.

C

CaliGabe

As for hoof and horn I'm not sure I follow - is this a specific product or do you mean the parts in general? I believe the hooves make it into commercial bone meal.

Hoof and Horn Meal organic fertilizer, 12-2-0, is a great source of nitrogen (12%) for your organic garden plants, especially your high feeders like corn, tomato and lettuce. It also has a small amount of phosphorus (2%) for healthy roots and stems.

This organic fertilizer is made from cooked ground dehydrated cattle hooves and horns obtained from slaughterhouses.
H&H Meal is is equivalent to Blood Meal in Nitrogen content, but the nutrient availability is slower, which is better for your organic crops and with less "leaf burn" damage and it contains Phosphorus. It nutrient availability starts at around 4-6 weeks and can lasts 12 months.

• Used to increase green leaf growth
  • Used to increased root growth
  • Improves soil structure
  • Nutrient Availability is slower than Blood Meal and is a better choice
  • When adding to your garden as a nitrogen source, always blend it into the soil
  • Can be used as a compost decomposition activator
It's something I remember Verdant Green(?) here at IC using indoors for his long flowering sativas. It's especially good for more pure varietals as they don't like nutes dumped on them, changes in enviro as they get pissed off pretty easy. It's a looooong source of N. Was talking to a friend last night and he said it's a good source of lignins. A friend has a Vietnamese cross, to Chery Bomb, where the parent stock was taken from way out in the jungle and planning on talking to Verdent about a mix using hoof and horn as part of the N source to veg and flower them out. It flowers for 16 weeks.

Last edited:

milkyjoe

Veteran
DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

Some stuff getting ready to go out in the black out hoopty.

May be a hair too much N...but not from me adding it. I took last yrs outdoor (EC was 0.2 on its own) and have been using Tainio microbes. Me thinks they definitely fix N :biggrin:

Plus i got the waxy look that says there is plenty of energy in the plant.

And i do not know why it happens but fungus gnats die on my leaves anymore. You never see them buzzing around but you find dead ones on the leaf.

I feel like I am ready this time. Cannot wait to get it going.

norcalkell

Hi, I'm trying to decide on either: 4seassons ,Kinney nursery or the worm farm

4 seasons 419 Blend
Cert organic dairy manure
Aged Forrest humus
Pro mix hp
Pure nitro worm casting
Nitro bat guano blood meal
Crab meal
Kelp meal
Feather meal
Alfalfa meal
Oyster shell lime dolomite
Green sand
Glacial rock dust
Cal soft rock phosphate
Humic acid
mycorrzae
$165/40/yards @ $7103.

” Plus custom-blended potting soil is made from.
530 pluss formula
Ingredients
Certified Organic Dairy Manure
Aged Forest Humus
Coco Core
Pro-Mix HP
Perlite
Nitrogen Worm Castings
Dolomite
Oyster Shell Lime
Nitrogen Bat Guano
Humic Acid

Mycorrhizae

I could get 50% formula 419
+
50% formula 530 pluss

$ 5273.00

KINNEY NURSERY 530-839-2195

Nor Cal Gold Ultra-Premium Blend Potting Soil: After 40 years of mixing soils we come up with a blend to top them all. A soil designed for you hard working Northern Californian Gardeners that know what it takes to produce bumper crops of delicious nutritious fruits.
Taking our proven performer "Gardeners Delight" that includes "high octane" amendments like our #1 topsoil, worm casting, mushroom compost, forest humus, and pumice and poultry humus and we pumped things up for you demanding gardeners.

Nor Cal Gold has added a biological based all-purpose organic fertilizer, a superior probiotic blend
horticultural perlite to increase aeration and percolation,
CocoNotR an environmental safe alternative to Coco Coir,
Cascade Mineral
, Azomite

Glacial Rock Dust,
Bat Guano,
Alaskan Fish Bone Meal,
Non GMO Cotton Seed Meal,
High Mountain Alfalfa Meal,
Mined Potassium Sulfate,
Kelp Meal,
Sea Weed Extract and a
biological fungicide Actino-ironto keep your plants happy and healthy all season.

$89.95/yard. 40/ yards =$3868.00 + driver @$100/hr

OR THE WORM FARM, DURHAM CA

30% coco
30% perlite
Compost green waste from Vernalis, Ca
Composted cow manure
Composted chick manure
Azomite
Diatomatious earth
Feather meal
Nitro guano
Phos guano

$108/yard @40 yards=$4820.00

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Thank Icmag peeps!!!

C

caseyjones123

Go with earthworm soil factory in chico, will be same delivery cost as worm farm. Am using a blend of nor cal mix, with premium plus with added perlite and earthworm mix (5-5-1) propretarty blend of organic protein nutrient. Topping all planters with 4-6 inch of NorCal blend. Using soil now in greenhouse, and all is looking really nice, no burns, happy plants! I also had soil in early winter allowing it to be rained on ... Hope this helps.... Maybe consider this as a forth choice ?

norcalkell

I ended up going with 4 Seasons.. Excellent cust service, CLEAN YARD, NO BUGS or foul rotten smells.

The soil is very fluffy, great drainage,and awesome % of amendment/nutes added.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Rice Hulls for Silica!
Pyrolized is best, but I haven't built my pyrolizer drum yet. Work great raw..

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
here's one of the starts here, transplanting into 5's on the new moon. they're going to be a great size in a month and ready to go into their final homes in the 8 ft x 64 ft cedar beds I'm preparing for them.

picture.php

Named after a suggestion by CC ‘Zazen’ is CC’s ‘Blue Orca’ (sister of ‘The One’) pollinated with a Northern Lights #5 dominant NL#5/Neville’s Haze F2 male. Then a very resinous and beautiful male was picked from the F1’s to again pollinate the Blue Orca female cut, producing Blue Orca x NL#5/Neville’s Haze Bx1.

Blue Orca x NL#5/Haze went 75 to over 100 days, the backcross should knock that down to a modern range (55 to 70 days) with no loss of this outstanding sativa effect.
made an ACT following microbeman's recipe on microbeorganics.com early on, I like to do that to kickstart new soil/plantings.

I have also been spraying some kelp every once in a while, I followed these directions for that http://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/11759569-diy-instant-kelp-meal-tea-coots-hydrated-kelp-meal-trick

as well as once a week ipm with varying concoctions such as karanja oil emulsified with KSil and aloe as a surfacant, to things that I brewed up myself by collecting different plants around the house like lavender, rose, mints and other stuff. it's been really enjoyable being involved with all the plants around the house, It's almost like I'm starting to feel like an actual gardener.

then I've applied an occasional SST, which stands for sprouted seed tea. you can read all about them in several places, I think they're really cool/fun and more hands on than just buying something from the store. http://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/12607517-using-b-a-s-barley-for-enzyme-tea-tutorial

we got some good weather here so I applied a light alfalfa tea in the light dep, all I did for this was add 1 cup of alfalfa meal to 10 gallons of water and bubbled for 36-48 hours. here's some info on alfalfa http://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/12749473-triacontanol-as-a-growth-stimulant

plants seem to like it, keep it simple

(i don't have any 'in' with buildasoil.com i just really like the blog there)

Status
Not open for further replies.