What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Could you have pruned them a bit instead of killing them? I've had to kill some plants in veg and it's heartbreaking, especially if they look promising.

Just love this thread! You all are providing a first class education. I'm deeply indebted to say the least. I hope to contribute to this thread sometime soon.

Keep up the great work!

Best,

RF
They were already topped once, and would have outgrown my OD veg area. Luckily, I have almost 20 moms to cut from, and my helper is taking all he can continuously, so culling is not as difficult as it is for others. I am looking to only put the most vigorous plants out this year, rather than leftovers :)

Stank J.P.

Hi guys, when dealing with a rootbound seedling would you gently break apart the circling roots or re-pot as is? I untangled some and left some others. Guess we'll see whats' what in a couple days. Curious what you vets do is all.

GreenHands13

How is everyone taking there clones? I've always just used rock wool but I'm thinking I want to try directly into a solo cup full of soil and burry the stem a few inches rather then just rooting a inch of stem get 3 inches of rooted stem.

C

CaliGabe

As for the Sea-Shield that Milkyjoe mentioned from AEA I did confirm today that they're buying the material from Pacific Gro in Raymond and is a combination of their crab and shrimp hydrolysates. If AEA labels it as 2-1-1 I don't know how it's a combo as the crab is 2-1-1 and the shrimp is 3-3-1 or if they're adding anything else.

Anyway just FYI stuff.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I clone in rockwool because most of them get sold to other people, but if i'm just cloning for myself would use an aero cloner/ ez-clone/whatever, they are so easy to use just put in the cut and in a week, roots! also more eco-friendly and cheaper in the long run

S

stix~

straight into 5.5soil w/ rooting powder.. then just add water , re.moist when bone.dry , 80% clones after 2 weeks :biggrin:

are ezclone machines any good??

milkyjoe

Veteran
They work great right up until they completely fail you. That is my problem with them...I would never trust them completely. On the other hand once you get a whatever cube method down you can count on it every single time...that means a lot in my world.

Not that it means anything at all but Oasis are my favorites.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Milkyjoe

Please check out the IHort Q-Plug 40/80 product. You'll really like it.

I was on the Oasis cube trip before the Q Plugs

My time is too valuable and better spent growing plants than trying to fix a machine that is designed to fail or trying to jerry rig a home made version.

koolkush

Veteran
Anyone using custom smart Pots? I'm thinking of doing 300gal with 15 -28 inch height sidewalls? What do you guys think a perfect height for a smart pot should be? Thx guys

Bulldog420

Veteran
Anyone using custom smart Pots? I'm thinking of doing 300gal with 15 -28 inch height sidewalls? What do you guys think a perfect height for a smart pot should be? Thx guys

I agree with backyard, 18inch is the minimum, 24" is ideal. Good luck. BTW, awesome white bulldog, boy or girl?

I got a question for the guys dealing with 2500 gal water reservoir.....

How do you guys mix up nutes? I know some will say grow from down low, and I am all with that. However, a time may come where I need some extra nutes and I need to figure out a good way to deliver that. I don't want to mix my nutes in my 2500 gal rez, but I think garbage cans, or a smaller secondary 250 gal water tank would do the trick. Any advice would be much appreciated, :tiphat:.

Edit: Even with a secondary 250gal or garbage cans how do you deliver the water? Does a pump and hose with wand clog up with compost teas? Strain the teas?

Bulldog420

Veteran
Backyard farmer - Thanks, I assume pickle barrel are 55gal?

KoolKush - 8ft Diameter x 2ft tall = 642 dry gallons, or 3.17 yards

8ft diameter x 20" = 533 dry gallons, or 2.64 yards

8ft Diameter x 18" = 484 dry gallons, or 2.4 yards

8ft Diameter x 14" = 374 dry gallons, or 1.85 yards

With Backyard Farmer's advice, I would have 8ft wide x 2ft tall pots. Then I would account for 4" of mulch on top of the soil. So for me personally (everybody is different) 2.64 yards of soil topped with .53 yards of mulch per pot. This is assuming you have a perfect cylinder, but most likely you will have bulging sides adding to your overall material. Hope this helps.

Math for reference.....

V = H x Pie x r(squared)

V = Volume

H = height
Pie = 3.14
r = radius

then you have to figure cubic feet (or whatever measurement you used) to dry gallons
1 cubic foot = 6 us dry gal

Last edited:

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
I think so bulldog, since you're going to dilute what you're mixing up it won't matter unless you're using conventional nutrients, then you may want to do a couple batches.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i use the 2500s-3000s for bulk water storage, when i want to mix up a custom batch i open a valve and it goes into several 550g tanks that are plumbed together.

im happy to say that i have zero plans of using bottled nutes this year....going all organic, got a nice sunburn and sore arms from mixing up my mounds and got schooled by dave royal on compost teas so im hyped for 2014...each plant is gonna get a home the size of a pitchers mound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts