What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Lots of smoke this year & have had several fires within 20mi, but nothing TOO close yet.

Hang in there & stay safe!

C

Carlos Danger

A question to you big plant guys - when is too late to net a plant? We've had a wild couple days of wind and rain and I've been standing on the porch staring at my big girl whipping in the wind thinking "I shoulda tied her down". She's a few weeks into bloom, but still early enough that resin is just appearing. I've never trellised a plant of this size or at this stage of bloom though and am a bit worried if it'll stress the plant out. Any advice?

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
I've caged late before...
Biggest prob is pulling them thru the net/cage after stretch, they really stiffen up & don't want to bend when pulling them thru.
I'd think Tposts & Hortinet would be the easiest? instead of wire cages this late.

my 2 pesos

anonymousgrow

Yeah just drape hortonova over the top of it. And sides of it and zip tie the hortinet together so it acts as one big piece. Then zip tie to your tposts.

I discovered that the smoey skies block enough light that clones under t5s or LEDs can be taken out into direct sunlight no problems. I want that super intense sun back.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Dr. Purpur - Can you point the way to where you purchase your supplies for vials/etc?
The locking sealed containers come from "Lock-Lock" online.
The cobalt indicator dessicant blocks come from "Sorbent Systems" online. The vials are from a Headshop down the street. The white foam is packing from an electronics purchase, that I cut and drilled to fit.

I collect pollen every seed run. I think Ive done 5 crosses on this outdoor run so far. I have about 20 left to do. Ive got some pretty wild females to cross to this year. Ive got a Gorilla Glue4 in a 100 gallon smarty. Very strong- super yield- superb flavor. Im also growing GSC, but prefer this by far.

Keep an eye out for GG4.It wont be at dispensories, but is being passed from one friend to another.

Good growing to you all! And You guys in fire areas be careful, be safe, be ready.

DP

humblemedicine

Sick plants

Sick plants

Hi Everyone. I really appreciate the thread and was hoping to get some help saving my big plants. So far everything has been going amazing in the garden, and I’ve had the biggest, healthiest plants I’ve ever seen before. Here they are

Now the depressing part. Over the last couple days I’ve become very concerned that some type of disease or environmental stress is killing my girls. The issue is that about half of my plants have all the lower/inner branches, shoots, and leaves dying on them. The leaves/shoots are turning brown, and drying out, or keeping their green color but drying out to a crisp. The issue starts low, and works itself up the branch, eventually killing the branch. The leaves appear to have water in their stem, even though the leaves are crispy dry. Some plants seem to be doing it worse then others. All the plants that have the issue are next to each other. All of the plants that are unaffected seem to be next to each other.

The garden is setup in rows of trenches. The plants are only spaced 5 feet on center within the trenches, and about 8 feet on center between the trenches. As the plants have grown much larger then anticipated, they have grown in to each other in every direction and compete for light with each other. The garden itself gets full sun 80 to 90 percent of the day. The plants range from 10 to 15 feet in height from the soil line.

The trenches are in clay soil, and I do not believe I have very good drainage. The slope is uneven, and we tend to get swampy area’s when we hand water instead of using drippers. 7 days ago we noticed over watering. We had previously been watering approximately 25 gallons per pot per day. We stopped all watering until plants dried out and showed wilt. Plants on the perimeter of the garden dried out within 3 to 4 days, and we’ve resumed a lighter water regiment on the perimeter plants that get the most light. The inner plants have not dried out yet, and still look very perky and happy on the outer parts of the plant. Although the plants in the center of the garden look amazing from the exterior, they are the plants that that are effected with the dying branches. They had not been watered in a week until we watered them with approximately 10 gallons each yesterday.

The plants that seem to be the worst off, most dying branches, seem to be the biggest, dense plants, with the perkiest, healthiest looking exteriors. The branches that are dying are branches that get no light, and should be pruned out to begin with. I really have no issues with losing the foliage we’ve lost so far, but I’m terrified that the dying branches are going to continue up the plants, reaching healthy, light receiving ranches next. I first noticed this issue approximately 12 days ago, on two of the biggest, most crowded plants. I didn’t think to much of it, and attributed the loss of foliage to lack of light. The leaves were drying out, and turning crisp with out much of a color change. Now these two plants that first showed problems are the furthest along, and the dead branches are starting to reach up to the part of the plants that are getting light. The dead branches that are the worse off are turning brown all the way up and down the branch. We had punned all the damage out a couple days ago, and new damage is appearing higher up.

So the last two days have been centered around trying to figure out what’s going on, and how to stop it before it ruins my summer. So the best three guesses I have to what’s going on are, 1. Some type of root disease, like fusarium, verticillium, or pythium. The plants that seem most effected, are the plants that seem like they would be the most at risk to root disease, b/c of location in garden, and abundance of water, lack of drainage. This diagnosis seems like it would be the worst/toughest to cure. I’m hoping I don’t have one of these conditions. The exterior of the plants looking so happy and healthy hopefully leads away from this conclusion. Possibility 2. Stress to the roots by over watering, or under watering, or stress to the roots by gnats or some other bug. We have seen some ants attacking little winged creatures in the soil. We also did go from a steady watering of 25 gallons a day to nothing. But again the tops/exterior of the plants look perfect, and the leaves are very perky. Possibility 3 being that the foliage is dying because of lack of light. This would be ideal. The problems started with the transition to flower, and I know that lower foliage yellows then, but this seems very excessive. Like I’ve said, the plants that are effected are interior plants, and the ones that are the worst off are interior plants that are huge as well. The biggest, most crowded plant is the worse off, but it is also the plant that seems to have the dying branches continuing the furthest up the plant, which makes me question lack of light.

To diagnosis a problem plants is the toughest, most frustrating part of growing for me. Having these amazing, problem free plants take a shit like this makes me sick to my stomach. I just want to stop the spread of whatever is going on. I realize the problem could be something I’m not even considering. I haven been growing to long, but know that this website/thread is filled with very knowledgeable people who can help. Please let me know what you think, and if there’s any other information from me that would help. The plants are a version of blue dream from seed.

So far we have been pruning the dead foliage out of the plants. The worst off plants have had the bottom 5 feet of branches stripped clean, leaving 8 feet of beautiful, sun reaching foliage on top. Today, we really focused on getting all of the death out of the worst plants so we can study its progression. Yesterday we watered the interior plants we had been drying out with a light dose of straight water. We would have watered again today with actinovate, but were worried about over watering plants that aren’t showing normal signs of thirst. Our plan was to water 3 to 4 gallons of water/actinovate/azatrol at the root balls tomorrow morning. I sprayed the interiors of the plants with 1 tsp per gallon of actinovate, and ¾ oz per gallon of azatrol this morning, and really hit the sick plants hard.
Here are some photos of the damage.

C

Cep

I can't see the pics. The more experienced growers here will probably recommend mycostop over actinovate for a root drench because it sounds like a root fungal pathogen problem.

spook719

I agree it could be russet mites, they start from bottom and work their way up and out. Use a microscope to check for them.

C

Carlos Danger

Sorry, can't help it: you have a watering regimen or regime - a regiment is something troops march in.

Bo Hasset

Fuck my life....

Had to chop 3 huge Church plants yesterday. One of them (about 12 ft tall and almost as wide) looked like it was shaping up to be possibly the breadwinner of the crew. They had all started to pfoduce major pistils this last week, but suddenly as if overnight I saw the dreaded bananas everywhere yesterday morning. Shame on me for not being more vigilant, but I trusted they were 100% female like a dumb ass just because I was told so.

I have one more Church left in the garden who has appeared a bit different from the rest all year. I know the beans were ordered from GH over the winter and popped and grown out to find females for cloning purposes. I'm thinking the last "Church" is either a different pheno or something else entirely that was mislabeled. I'm so hoping for one of those options. I went over "her" with a fine tooth comb yesterday and couldn't find any hang-downs. I just hope that the small amount of clusters I found didn't have a chance to do anything more than make a few seeds per #.

Now I'm just smoking a J, mixing nutes and praying I don't find any more surprises this morning. I'll be alright. Still have plenty of other bigguns, and despite the fact that one Church was shaping up to be bigger than most everything else I know it wouldn't have the same yield what my BD or Sour D will. Oh, well.... truth be told it brought me down to what my actual rec allows... they were just so BIG and BEAUTIFUL ((sigh)) :puke:

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Bo Hasset - You have males, or hermi's? If a male, you really need to learn what a pre-flower looks like. I can usually tell the sex of a seeded plant withing 60 days of germination, even in 24 hour veg cycle. Good luck.

Bo Hasset

Bo Hasset - You have males, or hermi's? If a male, you really need to learn what a pre-flower looks like. I can usually tell the sex of a seeded plant withing 60 days of germination, even in 24 hour veg cycle. Good luck.

Sorry.

I thought the part where I said "shooting out pistils for a week then BOOM! overnight nut sacks" indicated I was talking about a HERMIE, but I'll but an Ed Rosenthal book and figure it out for my next grow.

Greeseyder

OK guys need some help here... I just found some botrytis starting...not huge but I want to know if I can apply anything at this late date! I'm using Tom's soil mix, & feeding some Buddha Bloom organics every other watering. Is there anything I can soil drench with? I'm more than 3 weeks into flower here...

Thx much,
G

Fuck my life....

Had to chop 3 huge Church plants yesterday. One of them (about 12 ft tall and almost as wide) looked like it was shaping up to be possibly the breadwinner of the crew. They had all started to pfoduce major pistils this last week, but suddenly as if overnight I saw the dreaded bananas everywhere yesterday morning. Shame on me for not being more vigilant, but I trusted they were 100% female like a dumb ass just because I was told so.

I have one more Church left in the garden who has appeared a bit different from the rest all year. I know the beans were ordered from GH over the winter and popped and grown out to find females for cloning purposes. I'm thinking the last "Church" is either a different pheno or something else entirely that was mislabeled. I'm so hoping for one of those options. I went over "her" with a fine tooth comb yesterday and couldn't find any hang-downs. I just hope that the small amount of clusters I found didn't have a chance to do anything more than make a few seeds per #.

Now I'm just smoking a J, mixing nutes and praying I don't find any more surprises this morning. I'll be alright. Still have plenty of other bigguns, and despite the fact that one Church was shaping up to be bigger than most everything else I know it wouldn't have the same yield what my BD or Sour D will. Oh, well.... truth be told it brought me down to what my actual rec allows... they were just so BIG and BEAUTIFUL ((sigh)) :puke:

In my opinion, I finished out church for the first time... i have gave it alot of opportunities to be ok.. but no matter what i do. It doesnt taste good at all... Grown in the same exact everything as another strain the church always tastes like garbage and doesn't really do anything for me. I have destroyed all my church clones because they just are terrible. so cheer up! you have others to look forward too! and you wont be disapointed when the church tastes like shit..

ponocrookedbrah

Veteran
humble scope your plants well for critters but to me that looks like stuff that got choked out. ive had some indoors grows look similar beneath my scrog when I was too lazy to prune. good vibes brah and regardless you should open up all the inner that is not receiving any light or airflow

Bo Hasset

In my opinion, I finished out church for the first time... i have gave it alot of opportunities to be ok.. but no matter what i do. It doesnt taste good at all... Grown in the same exact everything as another strain the church always tastes like garbage and doesn't really do anything for me. I have destroyed all my church clones because they just are terrible. so cheer up! you have others to look forward too! and you wont be disapointed when the church tastes like shit..

Now, there is some glass half-full thinking. Thanks, friend!

I've heard similar reports from several sources (small colas, harsh taste, not stoney, etc.) but with that old-school lineage it has I was just dying to beat the odds. In other good new from the chop it has really opened up a lot more light for 4 Black Dominas that were significantly smaller (think 3/4 lb.)... now maybe they can be pounders with all the extra light!

You win some, you lose a lot, but life goes on.

My helper also decided LSD cults and gun toting rastas would be a better fit for him so he ran off for a week , but when he came crawling back last night realizing the error of his ways all he found was a bunch of trash bags full of his stuff. I take this "job" pretty seriously. It allows me and mine to do some things we couldn't do if I were straight 9-5. I can't afford flimsy fly by night helpers like that. Sucks because he'd been a good friend to me years past when we were both in CO. Oh well... it'll be a chore, but good thing my mom and aunt show up middle of next month. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.