What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
damn those plants are the best ive seen yet....definately making early-mid may planting part of the game plan next year. those seedlings got that proper vigor, i will post of some pics of my plants soon, been insanely busy these last few weeks, the heat wave last 2 days was really a test thats for sure...there has been many issues of water shortages in our area, wells are going dry already, the water trucks are gonna be busy this summer. my wells still pumpin nicely but a few friends and neighbors are having issues..

picture.php

Bay 11 from seed

organic P

i see your garbage can and raise you a...

i see your garbage can and raise you a...

things are moving along here.

Attachments

• 2013-06-11_15-14-31_313.jpg
    2013-06-11_15-14-31_313.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 15

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Very nice Organic P!

You bury those smarties OB? cut out the bottoms? need to restrict height?

Hey Zdub7k, you got a grow show this year? If so pm me the link please. Yea I buried the smart pots. My fences are only 8ft tall, and I need to stay under them. So 2' of smart pot is not feasible, unfortunately. Also, last year I tried mounds and it was way too hard to keep them evenly watered, and not to mention amending at the end of the year. Now I know exactly how much soil I am amending, and how much soil I am watering. Just makes my life more simple, not necessarily the best way, but it works for me.

I also lanscaped half of my yard this year, and have about 5 yards of soil left over. (dirt was from leveling other side of yard.) So every week I put out about 90gal of soil for the garbage boys. You might see those smart pots by the end of the season, :tiphat:.

W

W.P.

Thanks for all the kind words!!!

Plants were cloned march 26, up potted and put outside april 20 , put into smarties April 26.

CGS Sssdh
picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Dude that raised to a 50 gal. drum has my vote. Has anyone hit the ten pound mark? Thought that concept was mythical but after looking at these...........

oldbootz

Veteran
Who gives an aged pile of manure if we're members of some bureaucratic organisation to do with the legislation around organic farming or not, if everyone cared about this kind of thing (composting, permaculture, etc) we wouldn't be facing a lot of the problems the agricultural world is facing due to agribusiness.
I'll do the opposite of STFU-ing and serve you with a logically sound and verbose response in blatant disagreement with all you said above..
At the risk of sounding overtly hippy, care about the planet man! :(
Your plants will return that care in kind! (And yes, I've seen your thread and I know you have a green thumb regardless, but hear me out.)
Organics are unarguably the way forward, minimizing impact on surrounding biodiversity should be a concern of every big outdoor grower in my humble opinion. Sustainability is key, along with affordability and of course superior end product. This is your responsibility to the planet you live on.
When coupled with the fact that it is possible to be entirely self sufficient as far as organic compost, vermicastings, compost and seed teas are concerned (making it more affordable than most chemical salt regimens), you have the beginnings of a very convincing argument.
Then there's this: Organic herb just tastes better! (There, I said it)
A full organic mix allows development of a full terpene profile, effectively maximising flavour, etc. I've smoked the same strain countless times grown indoors in coco with salts and organic in soil, coco often sweeter, one terpene seems more dominant, whereas the organics result in an end product that smells and tastes richer, multiple terpenes of a broader spectrum than the alternative, closer to what one can achieve under the big halide in the sky in a good season.
With chemical salts, gmo's, etc, you are working against nature, I see that as a foolish idea, akin to the king who thought he could tell the tide not to rise. Creating a symbiotic relationship between man and nature is the logical choice, you will literally have millions of tiny organisms helping you, working towards the same goal you are (optimal plant nutrition, disease resistance, etc), when you can't beat em...
I hope I've given you pause for thought, get yourself a copy of Teaming with Microbes if you haven't read it already, and dive into the organic soil forums we have at our disposal here.
All the best,
Milde

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to MildeStoner again!

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Has anyone hit the ten pound mark? Thought that concept was mythical but after looking at these...........

.....ive seen more than twice the mythical concept....here she is last after her tops were harvested, she was taller than the ladder at her fullest.

This was a hybrid seed, not sure on the genetics.

attachment.php

B

bajangreen

Quick question on plant support, can you grow these trees with only horti-net?

If two identical plants are side by side one only using horty net and the other using that concrete mesh ring you guys use first then apply the horti-net will they both grow to the same width?

And if so can i make a cube with bamboo then drape the net over that? as a replacement for the concrete mesh or does it have to be a solid support ring right through?

Any ideas are welcome.

mapinguari

Veteran
bajangreen, last year I made wooden frames with hortonova like you describe. Instead of the wire cages most people use, though, I suspended a hoop of wire from the frame with a tube of hortonova coming down from it.

Worked great. You can't see the hoop and tube, but it's in there:

picture.php

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Outside concerns? Like the government is recording everything we type, say, think? Too bad I have an obligation this year, other wise I would not be posting up grows either. As for the soil, I recycled last years soil on 4 plants, and bought soil for the other 8 plants. The soil I bought was from the Earth Worm Farm in Chico, ca. Drove for 6 hours round trip, totally worth it!

V

Veg N Out

Hella Messy but Hella Big

Hella Messy but Hella Big

Summer is progressing nicely, things are a mess but as I get ahead of the curve I'll have time to clean up the debris pile that is my spring prep work...

Currently installing inline drip emitter tubing and loving it. I dont know why I stopped using this stuff last year.

Climbed up above the patch to get this shot..

Old Betsy in 5 yard mounds...PS> That's 1000 gallons for all you gallon people.

picture.php

V

Veg N Out

Frost Advisory for Trinity River area...It was 36 last night , 38 forecasted tonight. What happened?!

Status
Not open for further replies.