What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildeStoner

Veteran
Who gives an aged pile of manure if we're members of some bureaucratic organisation to do with the legislation around organic farming or not, if everyone cared about this kind of thing (composting, permaculture, etc) we wouldn't be facing a lot of the problems the agricultural world is facing due to agribusiness.
I'll do the opposite of STFU-ing and serve you with a logically sound and verbose response in blatant disagreement with all you said above..
At the risk of sounding overtly hippy, care about the planet man! :(
Your plants will return that care in kind! (And yes, I've seen your thread and I know you have a green thumb regardless, but hear me out.)
Organics are unarguably the way forward, minimizing impact on surrounding biodiversity should be a concern of every big outdoor grower in my humble opinion. Sustainability is key, along with affordability and of course superior end product. This is your responsibility to the planet you live on.
When coupled with the fact that it is possible to be entirely self sufficient as far as organic compost, vermicastings, compost and seed teas are concerned (making it more affordable than most chemical salt regimens), you have the beginnings of a very convincing argument.
Then there's this: Organic herb just tastes better! (There, I said it)
A full organic mix allows development of a full terpene profile, effectively maximising flavour, etc. I've smoked the same strain countless times grown indoors in coco with salts and organic in soil, coco often sweeter, one terpene seems more dominant, whereas the organics result in an end product that smells and tastes richer, multiple terpenes of a broader spectrum than the alternative, closer to what one can achieve under the big halide in the sky in a good season.
With chemical salts, gmo's, etc, you are working against nature, I see that as a foolish idea, akin to the king who thought he could tell the tide not to rise. Creating a symbiotic relationship between man and nature is the logical choice, you will literally have millions of tiny organisms helping you, working towards the same goal you are (optimal plant nutrition, disease resistance, etc), when you can't beat em...
I hope I've given you pause for thought, get yourself a copy of Teaming with Microbes if you haven't read it already, and dive into the organic soil forums we have at our disposal here.
All the best,
Milde

Last edited:

wotamess

I'd just like to chime in here as a South African chap living in London UK, whose growing days are severely postponed due to family life etc. (and of course draconian laws preventing cultivation of any sorts!!) that I find this Cali large plant thread awe inspiring, year after year... you lot and those Aussie characters growing the Thai's and MM crosses are just showing the way forward with Ganja trees... It's amazing. I will have one (one will do!!) one day...

Universal Blessings

:yes:

-wam-

smoooth

So...... What is everyone using for stakes? Ive been meaning to get some in but have been having a hell of a time trying to figure out a cost effective way of going about this.

caligrower

Sorry that i asked and it started a pissing match..... picked up mulch looks good ....expected debirs was in it....it is from local landfill's yardwaste. if you had to ask that you dont know the place we are refering to...look up website.... it had lots of goodies in it... and for $10 a yard please!....i have no issue picking out a hand full of toys , i got a ball and a plastic spider...spider scared the shit out of me as it was 4 inchs...hahaha...but way cool with product!....i so far would recomend it...

i have to ask you guys saying that if there is things in your "organic dirt" then its not organic... have you bought any OMRI certified bags before? and i dont just mean 1 brand .... i mean roots , foxfarm , blackgold ,sanctuary , local soil yard hombrews.. they ALL have shit in them... some more then others... so i have no clue why anyone would state that some debris makes it non organic.. Have any of you actually been to a true working organic farm? There is non organic shit everywhere...lol...come on now... what makes the beef organic is not using antibiotics , feeding natural grass .....

With that said the world it self has shit everywhere... in the 50's they used such harsh shit everywhere , including the water in northern california for gold dredging... so ANY of US california growers by these standards are truely not organic growing...ppifff now thats crazy talk...but by what your saying this would be true...correct? ..... crazy how norcal is known for its killer smoke..... its all a personal opinion .... we shouldnt be arguing whos d!cks bigger but help educated rather then batter eachother... theres more then one way to screw...some look better doing it...some try different things...BUT we ALL finish the same....

CHEERS and keep it green !

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Word up Caligrower, I agree. Glad you got your mulch, I am jealous over here, :tiphat:

Couple pics:

Double Og Sour pheno A from GanjaRebelSeeds
Getting close to 4ft, and I am liking the node spacing very much with this one.
picture.php

picture.php

Blue Dream x 5g's pheno A from GanjaRebelSeeds
picture.php

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
those plants are lookin real nice OB...and yea the EWSF mulch is the business and shit at 10 a yard we were joking its probably better to grow in than some empire builder lol....theres really not even that much debris in there a little plastic here and there but whatever easy to remove once you topdress each pot..

caligrower

pic before and after the mulch... 300 gallon holes in ground.....TH mix...planted may 16th no sup lighting...love pulling out garbage can so soon for reference....most are 28"-38" tall, 34"-42" wide.....cuts taken feb 28th-march7th depending on there rooting time

CHEERS and keep it green!

Attachments

• 101_4111.jpg
    101_4111.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 101_4112.jpg
    101_4112.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 12

GreenHands13

Sorry that i asked and it started a pissing match..... picked up mulch looks good ....expected debirs was in it....it is from local landfill's yardwaste. if you had to ask that you dont know the place we are refering to...look up website.... it had lots of goodies in it... and for $10 a yard please!....i have no issue picking out a hand full of toys , i got a ball and a plastic spider...spider scared the shit out of me as it was 4 inchs...hahaha...but way cool with product!....i so far would recomend it...

i have to ask you guys saying that if there is things in your "organic dirt" then its not organic... have you bought any OMRI certified bags before? and i dont just mean 1 brand .... i mean roots , foxfarm , blackgold ,sanctuary , local soil yard hombrews.. they ALL have shit in them... some more then others... so i have no clue why anyone would state that some debris makes it non organic.. Have any of you actually been to a true working organic farm? There is non organic shit everywhere...lol...come on now... what makes the beef organic is not using antibiotics , feeding natural grass .....

With that said the world it self has shit everywhere... in the 50's they used such harsh shit everywhere , including the water in northern california for gold dredging... so ANY of US california growers by these standards are truely not organic growing...ppifff now thats crazy talk...but by what your saying this would be true...correct? ..... crazy how norcal is known for its killer smoke..... its all a personal opinion .... we shouldnt be arguing whos d!cks bigger but help educated rather then batter eachother... theres more then one way to screw...some look better doing it...some try different things...BUT we ALL finish the same....

CHEERS and keep

Sounds goon man I just think that anything thats coming from a disgusting landfill shouldn't be used on organic medical gardens and I thought everyone around here was more about quality products rather then cheap ones.

Reach4thesky

I put down a ton of straw per pot after i put down a nice mix of top feed, guano's and mycorrhizae . its at least 12 inchs thick. been in the pots for about 2 weeks and already my dirt is coming alive! we also did a really good compost tea to help promote the living organisms . anyways, here is a couple of pics of what we found when we pulled back some of the straw and i will have a update pic of the garden coming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20130531_105247.jpg
    IMG_20130531_105247.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20130531_105450.jpg
    IMG_20130531_105450.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 12

theJointedOne

Veteran
yeah been nice and warm, supposed to be a scorcher the next couple days..hope all are prepared,

nice plant veg, things round these parts are looking similar...

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
So...... What is everyone using for stakes? Ive been meaning to get some in but have been having a hell of a time trying to figure out a cost effective way of going about this.

I prefer Black Angus steaks, as long as they are organic

DungeonMaster

This summer heat has been amazing and progress has been coming at a good clip, I managed to put in half my D.O.Gs today, tomorrow I will get the other half in and have all my plants in the ground!

Nice Start Veg. i hope that mine will be off to a decent start here as well. the soil analysis i had returned some results that needed work in the Humic Department as well as trace minerals and the NPK ratios i was looking for. i did some adjusting but may still need to work things out with the top dressing.

this is when the forum really starts to get interesting.

all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts