What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bajangreen

I really want to push this plant like how you guys are doing it. right now i am doing it like sinaloa but wanna try growing a large tree or 2.

I have been selectively breeding for large plants with fat buds out of my gene pool witch started with Jamaican, St. Vincent, Colombian bag seed. Now i got, purple #1 and sam's skunk/haze.

Honestly though do you guys think a 5 pounder could be done using 100mm of rain through the 7 month season? 9 hrs of direct sunlight? in a 70 gal smarty? tom hills soil mix but no access to bone meal (not sure what it is), i could get the dust that comes of the band saw when we cut up fish.

Thanks for you honest opinion.

S

SeaMaiden

Bone meal is just what it sounds like, a meal made from bone. It smells like chicharrones to me.

I've never measured how much water I use, but I think that with good husbandry, you could get 5lbs from a plant in a 70gal Smartie. I do think that allowing even more room would be better, certainly makes getting a 4lb plant effortless for me.

You may likely need more water, if I'm envisioning that rainfall amount right.

warthog

bajangreen by 100mm of rain do you mean that the rain is the only source of water you can get, or do you mean that your letting nature do the work? A 5lb plant is definitely possible with the specs you provided..maybe a little more sunlight, but a 70 gal pot filled with a good soil mix will yield a nice quantity for sure. But in order to reach these numbers you have to be in the garden pretty much everyday. never heard of 1+lb plant in a guerilla situation with only a few checkups the whole season. maybe a mold/pest resistant strain plus a high yielder like guerilla gold or timewarp but still it would be hard to reach numbers like the with little care.

B

bajangreen

A 1 pound gorilla plant is about 1 in 1000.

Yes i was referring to if i could be done with rain fall only.

Maybe i should try out a 80gall in this current short season and see what i can get out of a 3 months grow. i will plug in more than 1 plant though

localhero

if youre able to finish your previous guerilla grows in that rainfall then you would be able to finish whatever else youre trying to do, unless youre putting the plants out that much earlier and there isnt enough rain during that period. the roots will reach out and grow in proportion to your plant so my guess is that the roots would have access to the same rain in a 3 ft diameter as it would in a ten foot diameter. i would not use a pot i would just amend a much larger than usual hole to accomodate the extra growth.

the other issue would be plant supports if youre running a bud heavy plant to a 5lb plus size. thats strain dependent I think kangativa has monsters without support but dont quote me.

this is all guerilla style right? ive never done that so this is all a guess hahaha good luck!

got on page 420!! sweeeeeet!

Zdub7k

have you ever thought about collecting rain water with tarps or barrels? I would think you could capture some and use it in the dry period.....or is it that you dont want to go to them at all???

Tiami

no way, not enough even for much less thirsty perenialls like vines. don't take it for granted but I believe plant like weed would need something like 5mm/m2 per week. 10 even better for good vigour. depending on some other things as well..

looks like you're in similar climate and situation like me, summers totally dry and hand watering in bushes. :biggrin:
maybe that amount wouldn't be enough even for plants to survive, if zero rain for a couple of months.

my plan is to get them into ground as soon as possible. that way roots will get bigger and deeper for search of water. there's still some rain here in may and june maybe. that's the reason why imho plants in ground would do much better than in pots. other drought tactics stuff like lots of organic metter in holes, water cristals, mulching, weeding, micorhizea are all worth probably.

once july/august/september I'll switch to survuvior tactics, watering here and there with small amounts of and pray for some rain - which is equally important factor like actually watering plants.

I'll be using similar npk ratio will 1-2x less amounts of food mixed with native soil in holes (from 1x1meter to 2x2m). 2 pounds would be :dance013: in bigger holes..

Tiami

When are you guys starting your seeds or putting your clones out this year??

Is first week of march too early?

two totally different things. I'll start seeds as early as it gets warm enough :) but that's because I can't start them in. you can plant most plants from seed anytime in spring after frost danger.

I guess guys here started seeds months ago and are vegging clones right now or they're close to it. clones won't be planted for a couple of months more, at least not without supporting light.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Well I dont claim to be able to enlighten...bu imho..Beans should be popping now...or at the latest next month. Give them love and care, a nice environment and ample space for roots in nice soil with plenty of castings. As for clones....i am of the opinion that big plants do not have to come from giant old clones....A nice gh with supp lighting...cut 4/1.... then bump up from 3's to 5's or 7's...all while cutting back on supp light sched. Out june 1st. Should hit at least 5 with proper genetics and proper cultivation

:)

S

SeaMaiden

I already have my seeds popped, making ready to plant them in brightly-colored beer cups today (those that have popped, that is). I don't plan to put them out in March, as that's typically the worst winter weather for us. Depending on weather, they may go into the greenhouse in April or May, with a planned planting date in late May or by June 1, IF I'm really organized (I'm not very organized).

Need to take clones, too, but those have to stay inside due to county zoning ordinances. No more than 12plants/patient outside at any time of the year for me, now.

Zdub7k

I usually cut clones/pop beans at the same time...right around mid march....I find the younger more vigorous cuts/plants see to end up getting the biggest for me, so a couple of weeks to get rooted and established and then under the t5 for a month...I shoot to get em into the greenhouse mid may...I usually let them stay in their pot for a week or so and get used to the temp change and then transplant into the big containers/holes..

GanjaRebelSeeds

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Depends on the goals your trying to accomplish and your situation. I'll start several batches of seeds for different purposes. Large plants with lots of soil seeds will be planted on the new moon in March. For small amounts of soil I'll start seeds on the new moon in April.
Then I'll start a third batch sometime in Mid June-Mid July for male selection/seed production.

For clones it's about soil amounts per plant. I'll take some in mid to late March for giants. For 100 gallons of soil I'll take clones between Apr 1-21 depending on the strain.

But to answer your question the first week of March is not too early,but you may benefit starting later or early depending on what your trying to accomplish.

Happy almost spring guys,let's get it on.

Peace..

OrganicBuds

Veteran
So.......Anybody else growing GSC this year again? What were peoples yield on that GSC outdoors? Last year I only got about 1.4 off my two GSC. This year I will do better.

Z

Z-ro

No GSC outs for me, Im only ever running it indoors again. To be honest Ive actually been having a hard time with GSC moving cause everyone is buying the cheapest they can not the best. Sad when you consider this time last year people would kill for a cookie cut and now its like meh and getting a lower donation than OG already. Biggest flop in history imo.

S

SeaMaiden

Z-ro, you sure about that? To me it seems that this happens every following season with last season's "Holy grail." Folks should stop chasing that holy grail and just figure out how to make everything they grow perform at its best.

smoooth

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Z-ro, you sure about that? To me it seems that this happens every following season with last season's "Holy grail." Folks should stop chasing that holy grail and just figure out how to make everything they grow perform at its best.

I second that. I choose what goes outdoors based on what genetics perform well out there. Not whatever is strain of the day. I would rather have a plant that puts out 4 lbs because it works well outdoors, then to have a 2 lb plant because it's an OG or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.